We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kapong Hot Springs

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
119 reviews
Save Topic
Kapong Hot Springs

Is there a road through the Lamru National Park that leads up to Kapong? I was looking at a map that showed Kapong on the road the other side of the mountain from the beach, but I didn't see a road leading to it from the Park headquarters area.

I was reading something that said the waterfalls near the park headquarters and Kapong could be done in one trip as they were close to each other?

I think I'd better buy a map.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kapong Hot Springs

Kapong is located on the 4090 road which runs from Phang Nga City to Takua Pa. You can get to it by driving north from KL to Takua Pa and then picking it up and driving back south on the other side of the mountains. Or, more easily, drive south from KL back towards Phuket going over the mountain and passing by the HQ of the Khao Lak-Lamru National Park then down through Tab (Thap or Tap) Lamu until you reach a major turn off Highway 4 on your left. Follow this road keeping to your left and you will hit a T junction, which is the 4090. Turn left to go to Kapong and through on to Takua Pa. It's a lovely circular drive.

This link shows a small map and locates the various waterfalls within the Park area

http://www.khaolak.net/np/khaolak-lamru.html

and this is one to a good map of Southern Thailand to locate the route

clickthai.de/Bilder/Karten/ThaiSouthMax.gif

I'm not sure which waterfall your source was referring to but you can probanbly do all of them and the Hot Spring in a half day.

If you turn right at the T junction it will take you down to Phang Nga City where you'll find Phung Chang Cave (Elephant Belly Cave) which is located within the precinct of Wat Praphat Prachimkhet, which is behind the Provincial Hall. At the nearby pier you can hire a longtail boat (or larger) trip out into the Bay.

From KL to Phang Nga City via Highwway 4 then the 4090 is about one and a half hours. So to Kapong just over the hour I would say.

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Kapong Hot Springs

Thanks Alan.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kapong Hot Springs

No, Thank You. We've not visited these springs so now I've added this trip for our next visit.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,696 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kapong Hot Springs

I came across Kapong when I was checking out the route from Phang Nga city to KL, the back way, and saw Kapong mentioned, so did a bit of investigating. Glad it's of use. Still wish I had a map though. Are they readily available at the Tourist counter at Phuket airport? Is one included with hire cars?

The map in your URL showing the rout was great but I tried several times to print it but only succeeded in getting the top half. Actually, I was looking at the coast to the right of Surat Thani and wondering what it was like.

Have you been to the navy turtle conservation place at Thai Muang? Is it worth a look see?

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Kapong Hot Springs

You could try here for some maps. I have used these and found them quite useful.

Downloadable in PDF also!

www.budget.co.th/travel_worldclass.aspx

Bentley
Level Contributor
894 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Kapong Hot Springs

Thanks for the reminder about the Budget maps. We used this one when we were driving around the Krabi area during a previous trip - from the Budget website as we hired a Budget car. I'd forgotten all about them.

7. Re: Kapong Hot Springs

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 October 2009, 05:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak