We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Beach

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
120 reviews
Khao Lak Beach

Hi,

Can someone tell me if the beach at khao lak is nice? I am choosing between the different areas of phuket for a nice beach.

Is the sea calm enough for swimming and soaking? Any area to snorkel?

Is the seawater clear and blue? Is the sand fine?

Sorry to ask so many questions.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak Beach

The Khao Lak coastline is famous for its beautiful beaches and stretches for probably 20km, south nearest Phuket to the north nearly upto Takua Pa. There are several distinct areas which are the locations for the wide variety of accommodation available. See the latest map at http://www.khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Map.htm

The sand is fine in all locations but ranges in colour from a reddy tinge to white at the appropriately called White Sand Beach (Oeow Thong) which is part of the equally white and best beach in Khao Lak, Pak Weeb Beach.

The ocean is generally when the sun is shining a beautiful turquoise but because it is tidal and forever in motion it is not crystal clear. It is very clean though.

In the Dry Season from November to April it is perfectly safe for swimming at all locations, although at times it can get rough. In the Wet Season from May to October swimming in the ocean is not advised most of the time.

There are a couple of places where there is limited snorkeling from the beach but with the world class Sinilan and Surin Islands on the doorstep these are by far better options for a day or more.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
120 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak Beach

Thanks Arandora! That is really helpful! I tried to book Ramanda and Le meridien and they are both full. Oh well. Khao Lak is such a popular area! I am going to the local travel agent to check if they have any avaliable on hand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak Beach

What period are you thinking of?

Did you try direct with the Ramada and Le Meridien or through an agency?

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
120 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak Beach

I am looking at end of november. I have checked with the hotels directly. Oh well. They are really popular. The only period that they have avaliability is at the beginning of nov.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak Beach

I think you will find that they are not full, just that they have allocations out with agencies and travel operators. Try AsiaRooms.com or Sawadde.com or DirectRooms.com.

Agoda.com is showing availability and Special Rates for the endof November for the Ramada.

Singapore, Singapore
Level Contributor
104 posts
120 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak Beach

Thank you so much for your help once again. I didn't know that the agents get to keep some resort rooms.

I read your post a day too late as I had made my reservations at other resort already. Oh well. I will bear in mind the next time when I try to book.

Thanks once again.

7. Re: Khao Lak Beach

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 12:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations