We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak Wedding

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
Khao Lak Wedding

Hi all,

My fiance and I are planning on getting married in Khao Lak in April 09 (i know it will be hot, but we're determined to have it then so we can be there for Thai New Year :o).

I was hoping anyone with first hand experience could advise me how difficult it is to organise (as im from Australia).

Ramada and Mukdara resorts look beautiful but are not in our budget.

I was thinking more Nang Thong Resort, Merlin Resort or Khao Lak Resort (all of which i've contacted..though takes ages for a reply).

Would dearly love to hear form anyone who has seen or been involved in a wedding at these resorts.

Cheers,

Alison.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

Alison,

Sorry you are not getting any replies about weddings at the resorts you've mentioned. Khao Lak isn't (yet!) a popular wedding destination. The resorts that I am aware of that do host weddings are the Sarojin and Le Meridien (which has a purpose built function pavillion on the beach). However, these are the two most expensive resorts in Khao Lak but are on the best beach.

In my view both the Merlin and Khao Lak Resort would make better beach settings than the otherwise excellent Nang Thong Bay Resort.

Another problem is that Khao Lak caters still predominantly for German and Scandinavian visitors although it is becoming more of an international destination. So hotels under international ownership or management like the Sarojin (British) and Le Meridien (US Starwood Group) are more likely to afford assistance to you than Thai owned who would not be experienced in western wedding planning.

I hope this guide may be useful (if you haven't already seen it) www.4321.co.il/thailand/…

Good luck with the wedding plans. I hope you do get a reply soon and that you will be able to go ahead. :)

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
119 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

Weddings are mentioned quite often on the Phuket forum. Take a look and maybe contact the authors and ask for their help. Have you tried any wedding planners, they will be happy to give you information and may have a lot on their websites anyway.

Try contacting the Merlin in Phuket.

You've probably done all these things, but just in case....

Whatever you do, hope you have a great day.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll definitely check out the Phuket forum.

I've just gotta back some info from Merlin Resort and Nang Thong Resort.

Merlin definitely seem more set up for weddings..

Food for thought.

Had my heart set on Khao Lak Resort though still havn't heard back to confirm. Think it's time to get a phone card and call.

Thanks again xo

Nottingham, England
Level Contributor
15 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

Hi Alison,

We got married at The Sarojin in December 2008 and it was truly magical. I don't know anything about the other hotels you've mentioned in Khao Lak but in terms of organising the wedding I can tell you the following:

1) You have to sort out all of the legal documentation in Bangkok and this takes about 3 days. Do your research on the internet before you go as hotels won't organise any of the legal side for you, you have to go to the Australian embassy in Bangkok and sort all of that yourself.

2) If you can hire an agency to meet you out there then do, there's loads on the net. We did this and it helps ease the stress. They guide you through what you need to do and drive you everywhere as well. There are quite a few trips involved to the embassy, the Bangkok wedding licencing office etc, back and forth.

3) Make sure you have all of your documentation with you before you fly out, birth certificate, divorce certificate if you need one, and you have to fill in an avidavit before you go which again you can find on the internet.

4) You may find it strange that the wedding date on your marriage certificate will not necessarily be the day you get married. The certificate is given to you and stamped in Bangkok and that is your legal marriage date, even if your ceremony is a few days later.

5) I know it all sounds a bit complicated but it's fine when you are out there, just stay in a hotel in Bangkok that is close to the Australian embassy. We are from the UK and so stayed close by to that one.

6) Whatever hotel you choose to have your ceremony in I'm sure it will be wonderful but my advice is email them a lot with all of your requests, menu selections etc. The more they know about you before you arrive the smoother it will go.

Matt

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

Thanks for the information matt, its priceless stuff.

We'll be in Bangkok for a week before heading south so hopefully that will give us enought time. I've worked out where to go and how to get there (via skytrain, tuk tuk). I just need to find a place to translate our form before we head to the Thai consulate.

Do you remember what agency you went with?

We're actually looking into having our certificate certified on our actual wedding day in Khao Lak. Theres an amphur in Phuket so hopefully we can pay for them to come up to Khao Lak for the ceremony.

By the way, we've gone with Khao Lak resort. They seem really flexible and able to accommodate all my little requests.

Thanks again.

Perth, Australia
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,878 posts
119 reviews
6. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

Hi Alison

Good to know things are falling into place for you. Something you might want to think about - my daughter was married in Bali earlier this year and to avoid all the administrative hassles they had a registry office wedding at home prior to going to Bali. No one knew, except the couple of friends who couldn't attend Bali you were witnesses. During the ceremony in Bali they signed a register and were given a beautiful certificate - so it all looked very authentic.

The beauty of it was that they didn't have to spend precious holiday time messing about with legalities.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,214 posts
202 reviews
7. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

Hi Alison,

I am Australian and I have had 2 lots of Aussie friend's married (at different locations in Thailand) the person that arranged everything for them was Natasha (an Australian) who lives in Bangkok.

They had nothing but praise for her and every detail was handled efficiently. There are many nice resorts / hotels in Khao Lak and I'm sure she can recommend something suitable.

Email Natasha and I'm sure she could help you. Her website is www.creativeeventsasia.com. Sorry I dont have an email address but it will be on her website.

Cheers

UK
Level Contributor
968 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

We had our wedding in Samui and booked the agent in Bangkok through them - no reason why they couldn't help you even if you are getting married in Khao Lak as regards the Bangkok part of things. We had the amphur come to our wedding in Samui and it was nice that legal wedding was on the same day as the ceremony. The certificate is really pretty by the way!!

9. Re: Khao Lak Wedding

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 October 2009, 06:51