We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just about to book for November..a few questions

uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Topic
Just about to book for November..a few questions

It's taken me ages to decide where to go for our silver wedding anniversary and decided on 3 days in Bangkok and the rest in Khao Lak at the Sarojin.

I have had a quote and need to make my decision by Wednesday.

First i have looked at a lot of the forum and see the hotel is ok but food expensive so will try places you suggest near to the hotel ie The boatyard Rim Lay etc.

What i need to know is what is the snorkeling is like in the sea by the hotels .Is it not good which is why you mention Surin and Duck island?I love snorleing but love to just pop in and out when the mood takes me.

Also are the rooms at the Sarojin worth the extra money?? can anyone compare them to elsewhere in Khao Lak ..they do seem expensive but i want a lovely room but not too stuffy and snobby if you kmow what i mean.I want to relax.

Hope someone has the time to answer my few questions.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just about to book for November..a few questions

Hi,

The Sarojin is more than OK. It has deservedly won awards and the standard of accommodation and food are very high but it does come at a price! Only you can decide what is affordable. However, if you are looking for a "top end" resort then there are others to consider. The Le Meridien, for instance, is a half mile or so down the same beautiful Pak Weeb Beach (the best in Khao Lak) and offers a variety of accommodation types at prices to suit, all being very well furnished and equipped. We sent our 37th and 38th anniversaries there and were not disappointed.

There is also the Mukdara, La Flora and Ramada a few miles further south back towards the centre of Khao Lak situated on Bang Niang Beach which is generally busier and not as nice as Pak Weeb but these hotels are on the best part of it and alswo have the advantage of being within walking distance of restaurants, bars and shops in Bang Niang, by the beach and on the beach.

Neither beach though offers any reasonable snorkelig as the coast is tidal and athough the sea is beautiful turquoise, it remains opaque rather than crystal clear and there is no "house reef" to attract the fish and other marine life. Day trips to the Similan Islands more than make up for it though.

Not a long time to make your decision and I hope to have helped not confused you.

Phang Nga, Thailand
Level Contributor
331 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Just about to book for November..a few questions

To answer your question about the rooms at The Sarojin. The suites are huge with high ceilings and every possible feature. These suites are all on the top floor of the accommodation blocks, so have reasonable sea views. There is a bank between the hotel and the sea, so ground floor rooms do not have a sea view. The plunge pool in the suites is somewhat dissapointing as they are quite small and use cold water. The surface of them is also quite rough, so watch out for your designer swimwear. The Pool Residences are on the lower floors and are smaller, but have a very nice 'propper' pool with outdoor sala for relaxing. The Pool Residences are quite private as the vegetation has grown around them, but are overlooked by the suites to some extent. The Garden Residences are slightly smaller than the Pool rooms. They have no pool, but do have an outdoor sala. The Garden rooms are similar regarding privacy to the Pool rooms. All the rooms at The Sarojin have excellent and luxurious fittings. The better located rooms are those at the north end of the property, looking south over the pool to the sea. The rooms on the south side have a poorer outlook and are nearer to the restaurant. The atmosphere at The Sarojin is not stuffy or snobby, although one or two of the guests may be!

For a special occasion like yours, I believe it's worth it to 'push the boat out' at The Sarojin, even if the room rates are very high.

For eating out, the hotel runs a free shuttle bus service at pre-set times. You will have to remember to book a seat with reception as the service is very popular. It will drop you off at any point between the hotel and Bang La On and remember to pick you up on the return journey.

Have a great time.

uk
Level Contributor
8 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just about to book for November..a few questions

Thankyou so much for your replys...decisions decisions. Thailand or the Maldives both are tempting for different reasons it's a hard choice.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just about to book for November..a few questions

Hello,

Congratulations silver aniversary now that is worth celebrating.The Sarojin is a beautifull hotel i have not stayed but stay at the Le Meridien a few minutes walk away.This area is a beautifull area of khao lak the beach is wonderfull i allways feel that i am in paradise here.The sarojin has won many awards the reviews speak for themselves.As to the price per night it is expensive but you will be treated like a celebrity and pampered.It is nice to treat yourself and the sarojin do know how to make it special.

Le Meridien is also very very nice much larger resort 5 star with fantastic facilities and lovely pools.Also the Mukdara is a beautifull hotel at Bang Niang. I prefer the beach at the sarojin and Le Meridien.

It is just a shame that as Arandora has pointed out snorkeling is not too good as the sea can be quite cloudy.

It is hard sometimes to decide on how much to pay for a room . I once stayed at the Rayavadee in Krabi and it was a fantastic experience and i have never begrudged the cost.

Julie

5. Re: Just about to book for November..a few questions

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 October 2009, 13:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak