We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money & budget advice please?

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Money & budget advice please?

Hi Folks,

Looking for some advice if you don't mind....

We're staying at the in Khao Lak at the Sarojin for 12 nights from the 18th October.

Is it best to change money in the uk or wait until we're there?

Any advise on a daily food budget would be helpful too - we know what to expect pricewise at the Sarojin but what about restaurants in the town?

Many thanks

Amy

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Little Italy
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza, Barbecue
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Hell, Norway
Level Contributor
13,182 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Money & budget advice please?

Change you money here in Thailand, you will always get a better rate.

I have not been to Khao Lak in many years, but food in Thailand is a fraction of the price in UK. Depending on the kind of place you eat in, two can eat as cheaply as 100 baht, or around 400-500 baht for two for something more elaborate. Plces used by tourists will have higher prices than plces freuented by local people.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Money & budget advice please?

dragonc is spot on about food p[rices which are still about the same as when he was last in KL. Seafood dinners tend to be more expensive, particularly tiger prawns and lobster but still very cheap compared to UK.

Advice to change in Thailand good also. We use a Nationwide FlexAcoount Debit Card to draw our cash. The card has no fees, no commission, no charges and as good a rate of exchange as you will get with Thai banks over there. No charges at the ATMs either. There are plenty of these scattered around KL in the main townships of Bang La On (usually refereed to as Khao Lak or Khao Lak Town) where most of restaurants, bars and shops are to be found and Bang La On just up the road. There are exchange desks on the way from the plane to the luggage collection area in Bangkok Airport and one just by the carousel so you can change some sterling for immediate needs while waiting for your luggage.

As for restaurants near the Sarojin, as well as its own excellent (but expensive) restaurant, there are 3 good ones on the beach to your right a stone's throw away, then further past there around the headland by the Similana and just before the Le Meridien is the excellent Rim Lay.

However, to the left of the Sarojin up towards Cape Pakarang is what we regard as the jewel of KL beach restaurants, the Boatyard. Set back from the beach in what was the workshop where fishing boats were made to replace those lost in the Tsunami is the simple but highly recommended Boatyard restaurant. Great for lunch, wonderful for dinner, especially at sunset. Take your own wine, a fair selection of which you can find in the Nang Thong Supermarket in Bang La On. Prices for wine there range from about 350baht for Thai wine (which is getting better every year) upto about 850 baht for a decent Aussie Red or White, much the same as in a restaurant at home but loads cheaper compared with hotels and restaurants that sell it. Still makes a superb quality feast into great value. Just a word of warning, you might get your wine served in beer glasses at the Boatyard. Sophisticated it aint!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,471 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Rim Lay
Rim Lay
203 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Money & budget advice please?

Hello Alan,

I have never taken my own bottle of wine into a restaurant quite often thought about it but have not wanted to offend. Do they not mind ?

Hi Amy,

You will have a fantastic time in Khao Lak at the Sarojin. The restaurants Arandora has told you about i can endorse.

My favourites in Khao Lak town are Jai's and on the same side of the street going towards Bang Niang by the book tree is the Everyday House. Also a 5 minute car ride away is The Kontescu on the promenade by the Haadson resort at Bang Sak. You can walk it in the daytime took me 1.5 hours. Did i need a drink when i got there.I would not walk it at night.The meal prices as you have been told are cheap and you can eat like a king for little money if you want.

You will find plenty of exchange places for your money in Khao Lak and ATM machines you will get a better rate than in England.I would however change perhaps just enough for your first day.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Haadson Resort
Haadson Resort
271 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Money & budget advice please?

Hi Julie,

None of the local restaurants we have taken wine into mind, mind you we've only taken it to two, the Boatyard and Somsri and I always ask first.

AJ39,

As well as Jai in Bang La On, there is the Everyday (our personal favourite) last on your right on the way out of Bang La On, Khao Lak Sea Food and Weerapat's kitchen for cheap, excellent, Isaan (Northern Thailand) cuisine which is next door.

In Bang Niang, there is the excellent Takieng just next to the Police Boat on the highway, the Dao Tong next door which is cuisine, decor and music from Chiang Mai, the Khoa Niau, just across the road (another excellent Isaan restaurant) and for something different go down the road next to the 711 and in about 100 metres or so on your right is the Hmuw Hmukatha, Swiss/Thai owned with super French cuisine and cook at your table Thai BBQ (steamboat).

However, if you really want excellent local places try the Korean BBQ nearly opposite the petrol station/711 on the way from the Sarojin and after you get through Khuk Khak, the first township you reach from there, you will come to a restaurant set back from the highway on the right. Can't remember the name (it was written in Thai) but it is so good and so cheap but comes naturally VERY spicy - you have been warned!

Mentioned in this post
Boatyard
Boatyard
238 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai
Chiang Mai Province, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Khuk Khak
Khuk Khak
Khao Lak, Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
720 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Money & budget advice please?

So, is Sarojin close to Le Meridien?

I'm looking for restaurants frequented by locals and tourists alike near Le Meridien.

Does anyone know how far Le Meridien is from Khao Lak's main area?

Cheers

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
3,471 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Money & budget advice please?

The Sarojin is next but one resort to the Le Meridien, perhaps a half mile down the beach.

Bang La On is the main township of Khao Lak with most restaurants (mainly tourist), bars and shops and is about a 15 minute taxi or shuttle ride from Le Meridien. The hotel shuttle only operates in the evening but you can book a local taxi at the Rim Lay restaurant just down the beach.

About 5 minutes before you reach Bang La On, is Bang Niang with more local flavour restaurants on the highway near the 711 and others on the road down to the beach, beachfront and on the beach itself.

Have a look at the latest Khao Lak map at

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Map.htm

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
3,471 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Lay Restaurant
Lay Restaurant
615 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Money & budget advice please?

Hello Coolitz,

There is also a restaurant over the road from the LM entrance that is used by locals and some tourists staying at the LM .I have heard the food is very good and a lot of the staff at LM use this place for cheap meals.It is nothing posh just some tables and chairs but great food.

Julie

Derby, UK
Level Contributor
23 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Money & budget advice please?

Thanks for all your help, just set up a Nationwide account which sounds like it'll come in very useful!

3 weeks on Saturday - not that i'm counting!

Amy :D

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Money & budget advice please?

Hi Amy,

Look forward to your JBR. You will have a fabulous time at the Sarojin.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Somerset UK
Level Contributor
50 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Money & budget advice please?

Hi AJ39, I am sure you will have a wonderful time in KL. We stayed at the Ramada and ate out mosts nights in Khao Lak or some if the more local places near the Ramada. We enjoyed every meal and none of us suffered from any tummy upsets our entire holiday. (a major feat for my Daughter!) all the eating places mentioned above were excellent. Our most expensive meal outside the hotel was at the Viking Steakhouse but certainly cost no more than £12 per head with drinks and several courses. have a wonderful time- I only wish we could return soon.

Agnes

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak