We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Hey my friends!

Al, you might know the answer to this. Do any of the bars in peak season have sports channels? Am I out of luck?

Doesn't really matter, just thought I would ask?

Wen

x

Little Italy
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Italian, Pizza, Barbecue
Pam's Restaurant & Bar
₹, Seafood, Asian, Thai
Siam Turmeric
₹₹ - ₹₹₹, Seafood, Fast food, Deli
Antipodes
Level Contributor
9,919 posts
122 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Worse case scenario, get the barman to flick the tv to the Australia Network for live coverage of the race.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Where are you staying?

In Bang Niang, there were two bars that showed "proper" sport i.e. soccer (only joking - a bit! :)) as opposed to the Sport of Kings.

Look at the map at the link below which shows the top end of the road down to the beach from the highway nearly opposite the Tsunami Police Boat.

star.walagata.com/w/arandora/Bang_Niang_1.jpg

There is the P&Y Bar (on the left of the map, right of the road as you go down) where the TV is indoors and nearly opposite on the other side of the road is the bar belonging to the Moonlight House, where the TVs (2 I think) are outside. Even if they are not showing a particular channel, so long as it is available and there is no greater demand, the affable young owners are happy to change over - just keep buying the booze! Shouldn't be a problem in that, should there? ;)

Not sure about the bars in the main area down the road at Bang La On. Perhaps the D Time Bar and there's a German pub which shows footie just past the Nang Thong Supermarket. They might.

Kick-off, sorry, start is 15:10 AEST on 4th November, isn't it, which is 11:10 local time, so I don't think there will be much else of interest showing, and they might be glad of the "early" custom.

Mentioned in this post
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Hi Wen,

Yes there was a bar in Bang La On that was showing the sport. I think someone said it was called the Tarzan Bar as they went there to watch some footy match along with half of the hotel. So no you will not be out of luck.

How many days to go now ? i think the tarzan bar was near the khaolak center.

Julie

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Thanks all! Al we are staying at Palm Hill Resort but have a car to get around.

Julie, not long now. 6 weeks to go whooo hooo.

Wen

x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Palm Hill Resort - very nice and within staggering distance of plenty of bars and restaurants. The German bar I mentioned is just across the highway when you come down from the Palm Hill. The D-Time and Tarzan that Julie mentioned are a bit further up on the same side just past the Nang Thong Supermarket.

Put a few baht on for me!

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Well thats good. I am glad Palm Hill is nice too. At least we wont have to drive. I am usually nominated as the designated driver so walking at least we both can have a champers! It is going to be funny having a drink in the morning.

Wen

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

"It is going to be funny having a drink in the morning"

What?!? Aussies DON'T usually drink in the morning???!!! They must all be over here then in the Walkabout pubs!!! LOL :))

Brisbane
Level Contributor
1,486 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

Al, Now I do have to ask......all the help you have offered me..are you there when we are as Ross and I would love to meet you!

Also yes I must say the only time I have been part of the crackatinnie tribe at 9am is when I have been off camping the amazing Murray River. If you like fishing al, come and visit!!!!

Wen xoxox

9. Re: Melbourne Cup - Any bars have cable?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 October 2009, 12:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations