We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

DIY Flight & Holiday

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
DIY Flight & Holiday

Can anyone give me any tips on doing a Kaho Lak holiday from UK on the DIY. My hubby seems to think it will not be any cheaper than going via a travel agent but I am not so sure. I am currently waiting for a direct quote from the Hotel and sawasdee.

What do others think?

Thanks

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

In my experience you certainly can have a DIY holiday for less than a travel agent. Firtsly you can select from all the flight options, giving more choice. A big factor is your date of departure. UK agents will recognise UK school holiday dates and inflate prices accordingly, but you will find that hotels have different cut of dates between the 'seasons'. Going the DIY route allows a full choice of hotels which you can book with directly. You should do this via their web site reservations page as this is often run by an 'agent'. If you contact the hotel directly via email, you will often be told that all rooms are allocated to agents, (including thier own). Finally transfers can be booked with a local tour operator or just take a taxi on arrival and are usually at a lower cost than you will pay for a 'private car transfer' with UK agents.

Best then to compare with a brochure price for a hotel and room of similar standard. We did this for our next trip and it came out at a saving of around 700 quid.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

There is a big range of accommodation in Khao Lak, at various places and at prices to suit various budgets. Most packages only feature the same relatively small number of resorts, which are neither necessaily representative of what's on offer or what is best value. For instance packages don't tend to feature bungalow resorts, which are more typically Thai and range from cheap and cheerful to ones with their own pools.

Have a look at the latest map at

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Map.htm

to give you an idea where the resorts are, then look here for ideas about accommodation and prices

khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel… (uses Sawadee.com)

If you then want more help and advice on any, just post back here and ask away.

Kyak.co.uk is a good site for flights.

Having said all this though, given the "credit crunch" and reduction in numbers of people booking holidays, when you have done your research, it may be worth going to a local independent travel agent (not one of a chain linked to any of the big operators) and asking them to beat it. It's never worked for me but it has friends.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

Hello,

I tried DIY and ended up going with Destinology as the hotels i wanted came up £500 more to DIY . Sometimes the agents like Destinology get a contract price which is cheaper than direct and this can also go with flights where they have a cheaper fare price. Trailfinders is also good .

Julie

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

Hi,

I much prefer DIY - is it cheaper, that depends on many factors?

I use a travel agent, Trailfinders, for the international flights, purely as at the time of booking you only have to pay a deposit, if you book direct with the airline you have to pay in full but Trailfinders are rarely that much cheaper.

For the hotels, as Arandora has stated it really gives you so much more choice and loads of places to stay that are not featured in the mainstream tour operators brochures. I always book directly with the hotel and have never used an agent to do this, I have always managed to get better deals going direct than using a UK tour operator. Never had any problem booking direct but you could get the rates cheaper using one of the many agents on the web. I book direct purely because I know my booking is secure and I am not relying on a third party (which have let us down in the past) to get it right. A lot of the "chain" hotels will display a "Best Rate Guarantee".

I find booking internal flights and transfers direct much cheaper than using an agent.

It's certainly much more fun to go DIY and when it all goes to plan (hopefully) you feel a sense of acheivement and at the same time learn an awful lot more about the area along the way.

Would love to hear about your own findings.

Sarah

xx

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

Thanks for everyones advise.

So far DIY is coming up cheapest but I have got a few quotes from the usual suspects and I am bartering between them (this has worked before with much success). If (as I am hoping) one of them comes back with the icing on the cake (ie; good price plus extras) to entice us I will book with them, if only for peace of mind.

I will let you know the outcome.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

Hello,

I have also done this before and sometimes it works but sometimes they will not budge. I do agree though that if something goes wrong you do have more of a safety net.It does pay to ring round as i have found that the difference in price can be as much as £1000 from one operators price to another.

Julie

London, United...
Level Contributor
69 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

Take a look at Travelmood as they are currently offering 10 nights at Le Meridien until end October with direct flights from LHR to Bangkok with Eva Air & return flights to Phuket for about £839.00 each all in which is a good price. Kuoni are charging over £1100 each for same holiday using Thai from LHR.

I have used Travelmood before & they are fine.

DIY can be cheaper on occasions, but not always. Over the years, we have tried both with equal success. Hope this helps.

Nick

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

Finally booked through agents. Bartering between 3 travel companies and in the end the Travel agents themselves knocked £200 off the price to win the deal. Also got an upgrade to a deluxe bungalow and the flights with emirates (as we always wanted).

Just picked up tickets today and countdown - 5 weeks to go!!!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

Which resort did you eventually book?

Telford, United...
Level Contributor
165 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: DIY Flight & Holiday

We went for the Khao Lak resort. Mainly because our friends are booked in there.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations