We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak - Khao Sok

London
Level Contributor
136 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak - Khao Sok

Hi Guys,

I'm coming to Khao Lak for 5 nights on 1st Jan. i'm hoping to do the Similan Live aboard snorkelling trip while i'm there but would also like to visit Khao Sok. is it too far for a day? how long does it take to get there?

I'm not too interested in elephant trekking as i've done it before, i'd be more interested in seeing the jungle / monkeys etc. any recommendations for tours?

Also, the Phang Nga Bay islands - how long from KL? would it be easier seeing these from Railay??

Annie x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak - Khao Sok

From KL to the entrance to the National Park at Lhao Sok is about 75 minutes. Add another hour if you are going up to Cheow Lan Lake (great longtail boat trips on the lake and visit raft houses). While Limestone Lake Tours are the acknowledged experts they are expensive for a day tour mainly because of transfer costs from and to your hotel. There are plenty of tour shops in KL that offer day tours, for example Khao Lak Land Discovery - see http://www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/ who are excellent.

We had a hire car and drove to Khao Sok, booked a river raft trip at the place immediately next to the entrance, then did our own walk up top the waterfalls inside the Park. You can also book tours and pick up trail information at the Visitotr Centre inside the Park.

Similarly there are plenty of day trips to Phang Nga Bay bookable locally. It's about an hour and a half to 2 hours to get there and, again, you can go yourself and pick up a longtail boat trip into the Bay, negotiating how long you want and what you want to see. I would strongly recommend the John Gray Hongs by Starlight trip into the Bay which was one of the most memorable experiences we have had anywhere. Advisable to book this in advance though at the time you are going as it is very popular - see johngray-seacanoe.com/thailand/hong-by-starl… for info and booking.

2. Re: Khao Lak - Khao Sok

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 23:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations