We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry it's late - trip report!

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Sorry it's late - trip report!

Well the day finally arrived and I’d been awake most of the night like a kid at Christmas!! We set off on our Emirates flight from Manchester via Dubai (We were going there for a few days on our return leg) which was very comfortable and relaxing. We arrived at Dubai and had a bit of time to kill before our next flight so had a wander round. I was a little taken aback at not only how busy the airport was but also how many people were flat out asleep on the floor, they were everywhere…literally!! Anyway there had been some doubt as to whether our luggage would be checked through to Phuket as our Bangkok Phuket flight was with Thai, the week before we left we contacted Emirates who said they couldn’t see the flight so we would have to collect our luggage and check in again at Bangkok (I wasn’t too pleased at this prospect but hey ho) so we changed our connecting flight to Phuket to a later one. We arrived at Phuket and could’ve made the flight after all, moreover our luggage had been checked through and we could’ve gone to the transfer desk. Anyway, got the later flight which got us into Phuket for 6pm ish. Our driver was waiting to wisk us to LRM and boy were we ready for it!!

We arrived at the hotel and asked if we could have a 2nd or 3rd floor room (based on previous advice on here) we were allocated room 278, which was in the Spa wing and was brilliant, great balcony complete with view for those evening dinks both pre and post dinner!! Can see what people have said about the ground floor rooms, don’t think I would’ve liked the ‘jungle feel’ quite so much!!

The first few nights we went to different restaurants in the hotel both of which were lovely, the Bamboo bar was especially good with Tiger prawns to die for! After we had found our feet we got the courtesy bus into the town and ate at Khao Lak Seafood, Jai, The Fishermans and D Time. There weren’t loads of places open but what was open was excellent, both in terms of food, service and atmosphere. Just to give people an idea of price we had 3 (very large) tiger prawns, crab fried rice and a deep fried snapper (enough for 2 people) in the hotel complete with about 4 beers this cost about 2500 baht (I think) when we were in town this cost us about 1100 baht – quite a difference! We thought that Jai was the best whilst we were there, they were consistently good night after night, we never had a bad meal or a meal that we weren’t that fussed on. Though this was equally true of all the restaurants we ate at.

I hate to say it but we didn’t do a great deal – but that is what we wanted we had been run ragged at home and literally wanted a nice bit of ‘time out’ and boy did we get it! We ate and drank and our diet consisted of Red snapper, tiger prawns, steamed Jasmine rice or Pad Thai, although we did alternate to a Grouper every so often! Our drinks consisted of Singha, Singha, Singh and a few Mai Tais’s thrown in for good measure!!

A couple who were staying at LMH went to Phi Phi and were very disappointed, they said it was very commercial with boats arriving from every direction, which put us off going there as this was one of the places we wanted to go. We’d been to Phuket before so we had already done James Bond Island etc.

The sea was rough for a few days with reasonably high tides which prevented us going very far on the beach. We generally got as far as the rocks to the right of the hotel and you couldn’t get past. There seemed to be a building project going on up the embankment by the rocks – it seemed like there was a house being built. In town there was building work and it does seem like there will be quite a few new places ready for the high season later this year. We tended to go to D Time for a few drinks after we’d eaten which was very funny; there was a guy in there who wasn’t sure if he was Aurthur or Marther (sorry but you know what I mean - not wanting to offend anyone) but he was lovely and very very funny he generally had everyone in there laughing every night. One night he took a shine to my shoes and wanted to try them on, but he couldn’t get his big toe in them hubby was kind of looking at me as if to say stop encouraging him – but he didn’t need any encouragement at all. He ended up trying to give me a pair of shoes he’d bought but that didn’t fit him. I politely turned the offer down but bless him – this was typical of the locals!!

Only complaint and it is a minor one LMH put a family ( a very noisy one) in the room next to us in the Spa wing I would have thought that they would have been in the family wing especially as the hotel was so quiet, but this was our last night so it wasn’t too bad.

We then flew to Dubai which was a very different type of holiday and a whole other story!

I won’t go on and bore you all to death (if I haven’t done already) suffice to say the location and hotel was excellent, thoroughly enjoyed every single aspect. Just a pity that its now becoming a distant memory. I think we’ll be looking at planning next year soon…

uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

Hello

Sounds like you had a very relaxing trip and thanks for sharing.

Was hopeing you could tell me a bit more about the Emerates flight via Dubai, we will be taking this route in January but then we fly into Bangkok.

Any delays from Manchester?

How long in Dubai airport,how did you find the shopping?

What were your meals like on the plane?

Did you pre book your seats?

Sorry for all the questions and thank-you in advance if you answer any.

Tracey

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

I've flown Emirates 2 years on the run from Manchester to Bangkok and booked again for 2009.

We got delayed in Manchester by about an 1hr maybe more but we made our flight from Dubai with little time to spare unfortunately our luggage didn't make it. Dubai airport can be very busy also there is building work going on there so alot of planes park away from the terminal but as long as you have 11/2 hours transit Emirates will put you on the next flight if you did miss your connection.

Can't really comment on food on the flight as I'm really fussy. Also if you take extra sterling cash you can use this in Dubai airport.

Any more ?'s PM me or reply to this post

Chiang Mai, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,452 posts
20 reviews
3. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

LMH? What does this mean, please?

uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

Hi Joannes27,

Thanks for the info, think we have 3 hours in Dubai, so it should be ok.

I take it you got your luggage when you got to Bangkok.

Never flown with Emirates before, so all in all how do you find the plane and staff on board is it comfortable etc been on the website it all looks very nice...

Thanks again Tracey

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

Thank you for your trip report, will you post a hotel review and include photos?

Yonny, I interpreted "LMH" as Le Meridien Hotel.

Lee

Australia
Level Contributor
25 posts
6. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

What does everyone else think about Phi Phi Island?

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
7. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

Hello

Ladies who Lunch,

Thankyou for your report i really enjoyed your post. I allways enjoy travelling with Emirates and i once had a 4 hour wait for the thai flight as i was told there would not be time to transfer my luggage and i would have had plenty of time.Saying that if your flight is late from Dubai then you could have problems so i would think it is better to be safe than sorry.Jai's restaurant is a fantastic place to eat in and the food here is allways delicious at reasonable prices.The staff at LMH come here to eat as well.LMH is deffinately a very lovely hotel to chill out at. Is Nong still working there she is on the pool towells and Nan from the sports who does the keep fit?I can not wait for my holiday to come round but it is not untill February.So untill then i will enjoy reading the JBR'S.

Tracey,

Emirates is a very good airline. To be able to prebook your seats join Skywards www.skywards.com when you have joined and got your pass number you can then telephone and prebook your seats.The meals are fantastic with Emirates lately i have travelled with Singapore airlines as it is more direct and cuts out Bangkopk and Emirates meals are much nicer.Dubai has really good duty free shopping i never have enough time. If you smoke cigarettes are a bargain.

Yonny

LMH stands for Le Meridien Hotel

Laubau69

I have allways loved Phi Phi and allways book a company who only take a small number of people and they keep away from the tourist mass so that you can enjoy it. It is such a beautifull place it is only natural that people will want to go there.I allways go with www.phuket-scuba-diving.com on the lazy day sail to Phi Phi which includes the sunset on the Songthai you do not come accross many others and it is great to not be squashed in a speedboat.

Julie

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
8. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

Flights with Emirates were very good. Departed Manchester on time and we had very good seats, I think we were in row 8 (?) which was right at the front of economy (havent quite got to the point were we turn left when getting on a plane yet!) Cabin Crew were very attentive, the flight from Man to Dubai was 6 1/2 hrs on the way out and 7hrs 5 on the way back. The food both to and from Dubai was very good. We had a meal and then a sandwich/cake/coffee etc later on into the flight.

Dubai airport is very very busy between midnight and 6am, not a lot of places to sit if thats what you want to do but we'd been sat on the flight so were happy to wander round. Lots of shops & places to eat/drink throughout the airport. So you shouldn't get bored.

I think we had about 2 & 1/2hrs between flights and this was plenty. Our onwatds flight to Bangkok was also on time but was very busy as was the return leg of this flight, the food ont his part of the journey wasn't as good but was OK and cabin crew didnt seem as attentive but it was the middle of the night!

The only issue was coming home (we flew from Phuket - Bangkok - Dubai) our flight to Bangkok was serverly delayed due to thunderstorms, we had to circle for 40 mins then refuel at the old bangkok airport for 1 & 1/2hrs before we could carry on this meant that we only had 40mins to get onto new flight which would've been fine if we'd been checked thorugh but we hadn t we had to go out and come back in again which was a pain anyway we just made the VERY busy flight sat at different ends of the plane from each other for 5 hrs 5 mins arrived at Dubai only to find out luggage hadn't made the journey with us. Emirates filled out a lost luggae report and said the luggage would arrive the next day. I compained and said this wasnt acceptable and after a stressful few hours the luggae arrived at the hotel 5 hours after us.

All in all Emirates were very good but maybe not quite as good as Singapore Airlines - maybe a close 2nd! I'd personally say they were better than Thai and Malaysian.

You can go into the Emirates site and register to change your seats, I went to do this before we left the Uk but didnt need to as we were happy with the seats we'd been allocated. However, we couldn't do this for some reason on the return leg and had to make do with whatever we got when we checked in, but it's not too long a flight on either leg. Oh and another thing they were all very good with children, very accomodating giving out toys and taking pictures to keep kids happy.

Hope i've answered all your questions!

uk
Level Contributor
115 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

Thank-you all very much for the info.

Tracey

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
10. Re: Sorry it's late - trip report!

Jenson

Nong is still on the pool towels and was very attentive every day, though they all were to be fair!

Not sure about the keep fit though - the place was so quiet there were only 3 people doing Yoga in the Spa pool in the morning at most! They did manage a kick about on the beach most afternoons about 4pm just a little game of 5 a-side, but this was good and everyone seemed to enjoy it, staff included!!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak