We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight arrival 7.20pm Phuket???

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Flight arrival 7.20pm Phuket???

Hi all (especially Alan & Ted who I hope can give me some idea). Trying to plan a trip next year, arrival time in Phuket is 7.20pm, I know it's about an hour and a half drive from Phuket airport, is this too late to head up to Khao Lak. We have 3 nights, so really only 2 and half days to spend here (then off to Krabi). Just want to chill and acclimatise to the heat etc, but don't want to head into Phuket itself or spend the night there at start of holiday. Obviously we wont get to hotel before 9-9.30pm, is this too late? Wouldn't drive ourselves in the dark, not having been here before.

Thanks for advice.

Lee

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flight arrival 7.20pm Phuket???

Hello Lee,

It is about 1 hour 20 minutes to Khao Lak i do not think that it would be too late to arrive 9.30pm is not that late really.I think it better to go straight to khao lak as being short on time if you went to Phuket for the 1st night you would then really be wasting half a day to then transfer to KL and you can not check in untill 14.00hrs.You should still have time to chill.

Julie

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flight arrival 7.20pm Phuket???

Thanks Julie for your reply, we are meant to be heading straight to Krabi, but that is where I think the late arrival will necessitate us staying somewhere overnight. We have the option of spending the night (or 2-3) in Singapore if we fly with Sing air, or we can land in Phuket the same day. If we get a cheaper flight with Jetstar we definitely land in Phuket that day, which is why I think I can add a few extra nights at the start of our trip and finally get to KL for a few days. Have been looking at KL hotels and there are so many more than when I last looked.

Lee

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,451 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flight arrival 7.20pm Phuket???

Hi Lee,

Hope you CAN make it to KL this time. You are right there is ceratianly a lot of accommodation to chose from. Have a look, if you haven't already at

khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel…

and if you give us an idea of type, location, budget and when you atre planning I'll try and give you some pointers.

Cheers

Alan

Oops, agree entirely with Julie, a 7:20pm arrival into Phulet should pose no problems for getting to KL and finding somewhere to have dinner. Do you intend driving down to Krabi? We hire a car to pick up at Phuket airport from AirPort Car Rent. They have good cars, good rates and most importantly Firs Class Insurance (Comprehensive) - don't book a car without it! You could pick up your car at the airport, drive to KL then to Krabi (only about two and a half hours then return car to depot on your return.

I understand your nervousness about driving at night but it really is a straightforward drive - turn left off ther island and drive straight North along Highway 4 until you hit Khao Kak just over an hour later. Much of the route is under street lights.

Gold Coast
Level Contributor
487 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Flight arrival 7.20pm Phuket???

Hi there Lee

Poor Trev ... it would be a bit like saying poor Rod though wouldn't it? Have thought long and hard about your options and I must say I totally agree with Alan & Julie.

I looked at a couple of nearby hotels close to Phuket airport - eg. Nai Yang area (opposed to heading into Patong/Karon/Kata for the first evening) and although that would be a quick fix I would definitely bite the bullet and head straight to Khao Lak for the first leg of the journey on arival. As mentioned, it is only an hour and a bit drive to KL so do the 711 stop for the journey and evening necessities (beer, black, coke & schmackos) combine this with some takeaway or room service at the hotel you choose, and you'll be in 7th heaven when you awake the following morning - guaranteed!

You know I love the Le Meridien and that would be my pick, but any choice of the Khao Lak resorts/hotels would be a great option en route to Krabi.

Cheers

Tiff xxx

5. Re: Flight arrival 7.20pm Phuket???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 October 2009, 00:47