We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What can I expect?

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
What can I expect?

Hi all

I have been really looking forward to going to KL in 2 weeks time and have been counting the weeks for what seems like an eternity... I'm hoping that some of you can put my mind at ease...I know it will have sharp showers as it is the wet season but after reading a report yesterday about a lady who didnt enjoy it I just wanted other peoples opinions, i've been thinking about it all day today.

I appreciate that some restaurants may/will be closed but will it really be like a ghost town? I dont want it to be as hectic as Phuket, we went there 2 years ago and although we enjoyed it we were glad that we werent staying in the central resort area.

I hope I am making sense, I think i'm having a bit of a moment, we just want a bit of r&r with some nice places to eat and some choice of places to go, but nothing mad. Am I being daft??? Oh and by the way we are staying at Le Meridian after recommendations on here for the beach area.

Thanks & sorry to sound negative

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What can I expect?

Yes it will rain but you should get sun as well. The Le Meridien is a large, but excellent resort on the best beach in Khao Lak. Unfortunately the beach restaurants will be closed but there will be plenty open in the main centre at Bang La On. The resort runs a shuttle in the evening but you can book a local taxi at the small supermarket just outside the main gate. The best restaurants stay open all year. Try Khao Lak Land Discovery just up the road from the Nang Thong Supermarket and others in the vicinity for tours. The beautiful Khao Sok National Park is only an hour or so north. The Saurung Waterfall and Elephant camp is about 15 minutes from Le Meridien.

Have a look at Khao Lak Activ at www.khaolakaktiv.net/english/index.html

for some Green Season Activities.

Phuket has its attractions but Khao Lak is different and IMHO special.

A bit like comparing Southport with Blackpool. :))

Brisbane
Level Contributor
46 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What can I expect?

Hi there

We went to Khao Lak for 10 days last year at the tail end of the green season. It was our first visit, and I remember walking onto the beach (we stayed on Sunset Beach) and turning to my husband and saying "this is just paradise". Sure it did rain a bit, but it certainly didnt stop us doing what we wanted and I think some things were enhanced by the season - certainly the rafting and trekking were spectacular with showers around. And it is not cold so it doesnt really matter. Most of the restaurants were up and running and all our meals were fabulous. We hired a bike, and when it rained we wore plastic bags on the bike and just got on with it.

We are going again at the end of October and this time have talked a few friends into coming with us and sharing this little slice of heaven. No place can be all things to all people (and thank God for that); and I find it great to read all comments, whether they are positive or negative; its always good to hear other perspectives. I hope you really enjoy your stay and love all that this lovely area and gorgeous people have to offer you. Will look forward to reading your comments on your return.

Shae x

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What can I expect?

Hello

Carry on looking forward to your holiday. There has been one negative report out of mmany positives. You will allways get someone who is not going to love the place like many of us do, and when it was described as a ghost town that was someone who has not yet been.

Take it from me who has been to the Le Meridien twice this year and booked for 3 times next year to Khao Lak you are in for one amazing holiday. The LM hotel is one of the best, the rooms are beautifull, the beach is like paradise and the staff are wonderfull. Khao Lak town there shouild be plenty of resrtaurants open and you will be in for a real treat food wise.The food at LM is very good also.

You will probably get some rain but it should not spoil anything but you will also get sun. Do not worry about the weather you can not change it. I have been at the begining of the green season and had rain did not spoil it for me it rained for perhaps an hour and then brilliant sunshine.

There are plenty of tours you can go on in the area and perhaps take a bike out which are free at the LM for guests to explore on.You will i think be so glad that you picked Khao Lak and the LM hotel.

Julie

West Lancashire
Level Contributor
147 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What can I expect?

I can't beloeve this...i've just wrote long reply and lost it arhhh...anyway was just thanking you all for your positive replies and kind words of advice. I did think I was being a little self indulgent writing it which isn't usually like me, but suppose its allowed from time to time!!

Thankyou Arandora for making me laugh Blackpool V Southport (no offense to anyone who lives in either area you understand!)I think I was just just concerned because everyone who posts about how fabulous it is always goes there in the dry season and I was a little concerned that there would be nothing to do or nowhere to go, so thanks Jenson and Berlyndah (SP?) for your experiences they have put my mind at ease. I definately do not want another Phuket (as lovely and unique a place as it is) so KL does sound like it could be my type of place.

Thanks guys and I'm sure that in the nest 13 days I will be boring you all with my millions of questions. Oh and yes will defo post upon my return!

Thanks again :))

5. Re: What can I expect?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 October 2009, 03:46
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak