We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report

UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
20 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report

Just back from a great trip to Bangkok and Khao Lak. 5 hectic but enjoyable nights in BKK staying at the Marriott Resort & Spa, lovely Hotel in great location. Then 9 nights at the Ramada Khao Lak, beautiful hotel. The staff were amazing and the hotel was pretty quiet so it seemed like there were about 5 staff for every guest. Great location right on beach. We stayed in the Lanai rooms which were great. Breakfast was lovely with all the usual western stuff but also noodles/rice and really nice sushi. Quite a bit of rain but it was funny watching come in from the sea and everyone gathering up there things and running back to their rooms for an hour. My wife had a pedicure/foot massage treatment for £10 which she said was lovely and would have cost loads here. Some great little bars/restaurants on the bang niang road and loads more about 10 mins away in Khao lak centre. 4 of us us were having meals with starters, thai curries and a few singha beers each which came toi about £10 a couple, great food everywhere.

Did a couple of trips including a longtail boat out to James bond island with lunch on the fishermans village on Ko Panyee. Also did a day in Phuket where we got a boat from Rawai beach to ko hei, lovely but really hot.

I would reccomend the Ramada to anyone. cannot wait to go back to Thailand.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report

Great report. It's good to have views of Khao Lak during the Green Season when, in my view, it represents super value for money.

Perth, WA
Destination Expert
for Seminyak
Level Contributor
5,695 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report

Glad you had a good holiday. Thanks for sharing.

Am I right in thinking someone with a longtail just took you on spec out to Ko Hei? Is it worth visiting, anything special there? How long does the trip take, and the cost for what period of time? Thanks.

UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report

Hi taz,

yeah we just turned up at rawai Beach and had a word with a group of fisherman sitting there. Took about 20 mins to get there, we just lazed on the beach and had a beer in the sunshine. A few boat loads of people playing at the other end of the beach, swimming etc. Cost about 1000 baht round trip for 4 of us, great value. Stayed for a few hours but that was up to us, the guy just went net fishing down the far end of the beach. If you need anymore info let me know.

England
Level Contributor
316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report

Hi UKMrB

We are off to Khao Lak staying at La Flora resort at the end of Oct for the first time so have lots of Qs!!

Did you hire a car whilst there, or how did you get about, to Phuket for example?

The trip to Ko Hei - did you have to haggle or was this the price offered? Any good for snorkelling?

Who did you book your trips with?

Many thanks - much appreciated!!

CJ

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report

Pending Mr.B's reply about Ko Hei, car hire in Phuket/Khao Lak is quite inexpensive. There are Budget and Hertz rental offices in Khao Lak and another PNC near the Budget office on the highway at Bang Niang. I think Hertz has a desk at La Flora. We pick our car up for the entire stay at Phuket Airport and use AirPort Car Rental who are cheaper but have the all important Firs Class (or Comprehensive as we know it) Insurance. See their website at http://airportcarrent.com/autotransport.php

Remember you need to take a current International Drivers Permit with you, obtained from the AA on-line or certain major Post Offices. Only just over a fiver but wo betide you if you get involved in an accident and police are involved and you don't have one.

Have a look at this recent post which contains some useful information about driving in Thailand

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293920-i5037-k210…

UK
Level Contributor
137 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report

Sorry for delay in answering CJ, been away on work.

We just went into Khao Lak Centre and found a small tours desk that was attached to a local restaurant, Pol & Lek were the guys names, brothers. They organised the trips and we just lazed around most of the time. They took us down to Phuket and waited around all day until we were ready to come back. Ko Hei was nice and in high season I can imagine it would be great for snorkelling as would any of the islands around phuket. Ko Hei was such a good price for 4 of us that we couldnt be bothered to haggle ( 1000 baht return for as long as you wanted on the island )

If you need anymore info, just ask and I will try and find pol's email address if you want it.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report

I'd like Pol's addy if you have it please.

England
Level Contributor
316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report

Hi there, thanks for your reply UK Mr B!

I too have been away so only just seen your response.

Please could you send me the email address if you have it or let me know the name of the restaurant where you found them? I would be really interested to know.

Did you go snorkelling?

Many thanks

CJ

9. Re: Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 18:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations