We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Phuket - Weather, Hotel & Taxi advise needed

malaysia
2 posts
Save Topic
Phuket - Weather, Hotel & Taxi advise needed

Hey everyone..

I'll be going to phuket end of July..was wondering what's the weather like in July. Is it advisable to go for island hopping in July?

We'll be staying in Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort. Can anyone who have stayed there since the renovation started give me some info on the condition of the hotel? I've overlooked the notice of renovation part whilst doing the booking :( I definitely dont want to ruined our honeymoon trip..

One more thing, getting a taxi from Phuket Airport to Hotel. I've been getting mixed advise on this. Should we just hop a taxi at the airport, or should we ask the hotel to arrange for one? Which is more economical, yet safer?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Phuket - Weather, Hotel & Taxi advise needed

Hi,

You say you will be going to Phuket for your honeymoon. Is this as well as Khao Lak, which is just over an hour North from Phuket airport on the mainland.

Until your post I didn't realise the Orchid was adding a new wing and pool. It's website says expected completion by October 2008, no doubt in readiness for next High Season. So there is bound to be building work going on. I would contact the hotel and ask for more current information than the statement on the website.

The resort is in a beautiful, secluded position on Khuk Khak Beach but the last thing you want is that seclusion spoiled by building works. If you feel you have to cancel there is an excellent new resort a little further north on the same stretch of beach, the Andamania, which is having the final finishing touches (grounds and approach road) applied and which has great offers on. Both resorts will not have many guests in, I think, during the Wet Season and there are no restaurants within walking disttance. If you want to dine out, catch the hotel shuttle or taxi for the 10-15 minute drive into Bang La On, the centre of Khao Lak, where most of the restaurants, bars and shops will be.

As for the weather, it is the middle of the Green Season as it is now referred to so you can expect thunderstorms and heavy rain but also sun.

Sea conditions prevent any trips to the Similan or Surin Islands from May to October but there are tours to Phi Phi and other islands in and byond Phang Nga Bay which start from Phuket. Tour shops in Khao Lak can organise them for you though.

Have a look at Khao Lak Active at www.khaolakaktiv.net/english/index.html for some alternative activities during the Green Season.

Taxis from Phuket airport are readily available and are the standard taxi. Cost is about 1500 baht each way. Just turn right outside the Srrivals Hall at the airport and go to the kiosk. You may feel more comfortable with a transfer arranged by your hotel. They should be able to tell you the price to compare.

Hope yoou have a wonderful honeymoon in Khao Lak.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Phuket - Weather, Hotel & Taxi advise needed

Hello Idura,

I would certainly like Arandora has said get some more info on the building work allthough it should be screened off, and also ask for a room away from any building work.

If you have not paid up front it might be wise to look at other options.

Julie

malaysia
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Phuket - Weather, Hotel & Taxi advise needed

Thanks for the info guyz :)

I've already emailed the hotel on the renovation and has been given the assuarance that should we feel uncomfortable with the building works upon our arrival, we'll be offered accomodation in other area. So much so, hopefully everything will turn out well as we've made the upfront payment whilst making our booking in April.

Anyway, can anyone tell me how far is the hotel to patong beach? I've been informed by the hotel that the transfer to patong beach is 2,000 Baht/way. Any other economical public transportation (plus safe) to patong beach from khaolak town (we can take the hotel transfer to town)..

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Phuket - Weather, Hotel & Taxi advise needed

The Orchid to Patong Beach is naer enough 2 hours and I think 2000 baht each way is a fare rate for poin to point service.

Have a look here for typical local rates

www.khaolaktravelcenter.com/index.php…

It quotes 1800 baht from the centre of KL to Patong Beach and you can add at least 200 to the centre from the Orchid.

5. Re: Phuket - Weather, Hotel & Taxi advise needed

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2009, 15:50
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak