We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hello

We are just about to book our flights into Bangkok then go straight back to Samui (Bophut).

Reading through this forum it's sounds like Khao Lak isn't as built up as Samui yet.

Where on Khao Lak would be similar to Bophut ie quiet and variety of restaurants.

Not after a 5 star hotel a small hotel would be nice.

Also could we arrange for someone to drive us from Surat Thani to Khao Lak rather than flying as would see more of Thailand that way.

Any advice much appreciated

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hello

Yes you could get a driver to take you from Surat Thani to khao lak probably take about 4 hours.

Do you have a budget in mind below are some you could look at you will find a map at

www.khaolaklovers.com

www.andamania.com

www.khaolakpalmhill.com

www.ayara-villa.com

www.cousinresort.com

There are many other resorts that you can look at Khao Lak is very much a quiet chill out resort with some fantastic dining in the area.

Hope this helps

Julie

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hello

Ayara wrong link try

www.ayara-villas.com

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Also try the following for resorts, maps and locations:

khaolaklovers.com/Khao-Lak-Resorts-and-Hotel…

http://www.khaolak.de/khaolakbeach/home.htm

Surat Thani to Khao Lak is a very nice ride, taking about 3 hours or so.

As previously requested an ifea of your budget would help with recommendations for resorts and areas.

The main areas of KL are Bang Lao On which has most of restaurants, bars and shops with resorts down from the highway on Nang Thong Beach. Bang Niang is about 10 minutes ride further north with restaurants and shops down the road to the beach where you find most resorts with more restaurants and bars. Bang Niang is quieter of the two. There are other beach and resort areas to the North and South.

The map at http://www.khaolakmap.com/ which is also accessible from the KhaoLakLovers.com link shows best all the resorts and their locations.

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Budget is about £50 per room per night had a quick look at the links Julie posted and a couple of the Andamania looked really nice.

Have you any ideas how to arrange a driver or should we do that once in Samui.

Would like an area that is quiet but has plenty of restaurants. As we went to Koh Phangan this year and was to quiet as the road leading to the restaurants was dangerous. Am hoping Khao Lak still has the small Thai places as well as the nice restaurants.

Also not sure how many nights as we'll have 4 nights in Samui to rest from the flights then come to Khao Lak maybe 5 or 6 and finishing in Bangkok for at least 2 nights.

Thanks

Joanne

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hello Joanne,

If it was me i would arrange a driver from the Samui area this you could arrange when you are there or even look on that forum and do a search on drivers and arrange by e mail. I have some drivers that i use but these are from khao lak area and phuket.

The Andamania is in a quiet and remote location you would need a taxi or hotel shuttle bus to get into khao lak town for dining away from the hotel. This is easy to do and no problem it is about 15 minutes into khao lak town the area of Bang Niang is nearer which also has many restaurants.

If you are wanting to be within walking distance of restaurants then i would look at Bang Niang or Nang Thong area.I have allways stayed further up the coast at Pak weep Beach and i have never found it to be a problem getting out to the restaurants i usually go on the hotel shuttle and taxi it back for 300baht.

You will find some fantastic eating places in and around khao lak some of the best food i have ever eaten in Thailand has been here. There are many small authentic thai restaurants.You will be spoilt for choice.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hi Joanne,

£50 a night (assuming you are going in Dry Season (November to April) is a good budget which should give a choice of good quality accommodation. For instance, have a look at this link for the excellent Mukdara Beach Resort on Bang Niang Beach

http://www.khaolaklovers.com/mukdara.htm

It is a large resort with beautiful gardens and pools and a variety of accommodation. The garden villas are partricularly recommended.

Here are some pics I took for a TA member who stayed there in May and rated the resort very highly.

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7597039

The internal shots are of the DeLuxe rooms in the main building.

Plenty of restaurants and bars within walking distance but not overbusy.

We stayed in Bang Niang for 8 weeks this year and are returning for more of the same next. It is a developing area and you have the great local 3 day a week market up near the highway for fresh local produce and souvenirs.

JasmineHolidays
Level Contributor
79 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Just a thought - have you thought of combining a stay at Elephant Hills on the way from Samui to Khao Lak? They'll pick you up in Surat Thani and drop you in Khao Lak. You'll get to experience more of Thailand that way than just driving coast to coast, which is not going to be that interesting (I've done it several times). Elephant Hills is a luxury tented camp in Khao Sok National park - you can do elephant riding, canoeing, trips on the lake etc. Google it and you'll find it. Also you might want to google the Haadson resort if you want a smaller quiet resort in Khao Lak (not many restaurants around it, but it's definitely unspoilt). hope that gets you thinking anyway :-)

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hello

Flights to Bangkok are booked now and have our hotel in Samui booked again.

Have looked at the Mukdara but it is very expensive for April 9450baht a night when in low season they are only charging 3210 per night.

Anymore recomendations that are reasonably priced on the beach and not to big a resort would like to be within walking distance of the restaurants as don't want to rely on taxis.

thanks

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hi,

Take a look at Baan Khao Lak, I'm sure some room types will be in your budget. It's right on the beach and only a five minute walk to bars restaurants and shops.

Sarah

xx

Manchester, United...
Level Contributor
303 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Thinking of Staying in Khao Lak

Hello

Some more advice needed please.

I posted on the Samui forum about a driver and got a response to get a taxi from Surat Thani. Which I really don't want to do, I like things to be organised in advance especially when travelling somewhere new! Plus the hassle of agreeing the price

Would we be better of flying from Samui to Phuket then arranging a driver from there?

Have searched through majority of the hotels on various sites and seems the Khao Lak Resort looks good and within budget shame the Pool Villa isn't in budget.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations