We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

We arrived in KL after visiting Krabi for 1 week.

Our 1st night was a special in a Deluxe Jacuzzi Suite at the Andamania Resort. A magnificant huge resort. The room was enormous with the best Jacuzzi ever. The gardens were beautiful right to the breakfst area on the beach. Although it was very isolated and we were the only guests, we enjoyed the brief stay.

Next, on to the Ramada. A 1st class resort!!

No complaints at all about anything at the resort. Brilliant service, fantastic breakfasts, nice swim up bar, beautiful gardens. Also a lovely little beach Restaurant & Bar next door on the beach with nice light lunches (Western as well as Thai.

We had a look at the beautiful resorts next door, the La Flora and the Mukdara, and especially loved the Mukdara (took heaps of pic's).

Those were the nice things we experienced in KL ..... now for the bad .... To be honest we did not like KL for a number of reasons.

We found it to be a major drawcard for unfriendly Northern European tourists. OK, so we didn't go there to make life-long friends, but we were informed by a couple who said that "they are like that - they don;t even mix with their own".

Also, 0other than the "Platinum Coast" lined with the new resorts, we found KL to be rundown and mostly ugly compared to Krabi and other parts of Thailand. IMO the money spent on rebuilding KL has only gone on the new strip and not to rebuilding for the locals. The only locals I can see who are doing ok are the business owners or the hotel staff.

We also spoke to a tour guide that we met at the Police Boat, who told us that all the resorts have not complied with the laws of rebuilding 50 metres from the shoreline.

Most places were closed, i.e. The Happy Snapper - closed till October, also the tours to the Islands were closed and we saw plenty empty shops and bars and many locals sleeping in empty buildings.

Before coming to KL, our hearts went out to the people who suffered from the wave that devastated KL the worst. So perhaps, because I am aware of all the $$ given to KL, I expected more to be done for the locals.

So IMO KL is not for all and there are far more beautiful places to visit.

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
The Andamania Beach Resort
The Andamania Beach...
229 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
La Flora Resort & Spa
La Flora Resort & Spa
1,135 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Happy Snapper
Happy Snapper
174 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#2 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Hello

Its a shame that Khao Lak did not live up to your expectations. It is more of a chill out place than Krabi or Phuket as they are more touristy. Khao Lak i think is probably what Phuket would have been like 30 years ago. I came back from KL on the 1st May and everything was still open so have never seen Kl when shops are boarded up and closed down for the season. I love KL for its long deserted beaches where you can walk for miles, and the restaurants some which are outstanding,and the people who are so friendly especially if you get on a bike and explore.For me it has its magic.

It is allways good to try new places and we can not all like the same things.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
rockingham
Level Contributor
45 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

hi jilloppy,i read your post and i will be making my way to kl in august for 8 nights. i will be staying at the mukdara resort,in your post you said that you took may photos,i would love to see some of them if possible,as for kl i will have to make my own mind up when i arrive,i hope it is not as bad as you discribed,cheers.

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Hi Kutie - what a cute name LOL,

I will PM you so you can have a look at the pic's of the Mukdara (absolutely maganificant Resort). In fact all the resorts along the strip have been built since the wave, thus new and modern.

I hoped that I hadn't offended anyone with my honesty of the sad state for the locals, but one has to go see for themselves.

Hope you have a great time.

JILL

Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Hi Julie,

Thanks for your lovely post (I thought I was going to get some real angry post-backs).

We did hire a bike, which was so lovely, because we got to see KL and all the resorts from the north to the south. We also went to the Asia Safari Park.

You must have been there in High Season when most places were open, but we unfortunately went in Low Season when the Island trips to Surin and Simiiilian were closed.

Oh well, as I said KL is not for all - but just to add - "I love Thailand and the beautiful Thai people who are mostly spiritual and can still smile after all they have been through.

Cannot wait to return in 2009

Bye for now

JILL

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,191 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Hi Jill

Yes i was there in high season but the tail end of it. It is such a shame if locals are sleeping in doorways. I do know that some were helped as i used a local as a driver and his bungalow was flattened all he had left was the clothes on his back, but he showed me his new bungalow which was nearly finished which had been built for him. I do not see why anybody should want to give you an angry post as you are entitled to your views. Last year i went on to Bang Tao in Phuket and did not really like it at all but plenty of people love it but that was not for me.When you travel around to different locations you are going to fall in love with some places against others and coming from Krabi which is so beautifull i can understand your meaning.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Bang Tao Beach
Bang Tao Beach
Phuket, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Jill thanks for your report and theres nothing wrong with being honest about a place, we stayed in KL last year in low season and same thing nearly everything was closed. But we were after peace and quiet to do nothing, read a book, etc so it suited us fine. Now Krabi, thats another story, cant wait to get back there in a couple of weeks.

Cathy

Mentioned in this post
Krabi Town
Krabi Town
Krabi Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,407 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Jill,

Thanks or the report. It's iportant that prospective visitors hear about different aspects of KL. It's not everybody's cup of tea and to be fair I don't think the Wet Season shows it to its advantage. There are initiatives in progress, like the Khao Lak Active programme designed for alternative activities in the Green season, which attempt to address this. However, in my view Khao Lak has done incredibly well to regenerate itself in only 3 and a half years since the devastation of Boxing Day 2004.

As Julie says it's taken Phuket 30 years, warts and all, to get to where it is today. Personally, I hope KL continues to devlop in its own way.

Look forward to seeing the pics.

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Hello ALL x

Here are the pic's of our one night at the Andamania and then the Ramada. Also some beautiful pic's of the Makdara.

I have not written off ever going back to KL !! and when I do all I hope to see is the re-development for the locals.

Still ..... besides my little moan about KL, I won't say I am sorry to have gone there.

…google.com/jilloppy17/BKhaoLakTheAndamania

…google.com/jilloppy17/KHAOLAKTheRamadaFrom2…

Mentioned in this post
The Andamania Beach Resort
The Andamania Beach...
229 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Brisbane, Australia
Level Contributor
359 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

…google.com/jilloppy17/BKhaoLakTheAndamania

…google.com/jilloppy17/KHAOLAKTheRamadaFrom2…

SO SORRY - these are the correct websites.

Would love your feedback on if you got the pic's and what you thought? !

JILL

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Visited KL from 21st to 26th May 2008

Hi Jill

Thanks for sharing your pics it was nice to see what the Ramada is like and the Mudkara what a beautifull resort just felt like taking a dip in the pool. Shame i have to wait while 2009.

Julie

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak