We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
55 reviews
Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Hi

Noticed on this forum people saying about the Songthai trip?

What exactly is the trip?

My partner and friends have just booked for Khao Lak for Feb next year, 2 nights Bangkok, 3 nights Chang mai then 7 nights at Le Mereidan in Khao Lak, first time to Thailand.

We will be in Khao Lak for my friends 40th birthday! Looking to do something nice that day, maybe a really nice boat trip for just the 4 of us - don't know if anyone knows of anything suitable or have any recommendations.

Also that evening she fancies dinner on the beach, not sure how possible that is? Again any advise would be appreciated!

thank you in advance

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Hi Neisar,

I think the Song Thai is a boat trip from Phuket which Jenson has previously referred to. If you search for it on the Phuket Forum I think you will find more information.

Most private hire boat trips go from Phuket rather bthan Khao Lak. One that receives consistently good recommendations is with CaptainMark at www.phuketsailtours.com You can join another group or book a private charter. Early booking is advisable especially if you want a particular day.

Dinner on the beach? - pay a fortune and the LeMeridien will arrange it!

Walk 200 yards down the beach to the excellent Rim Lay Restaurant and you can arrange your own dinner, in your own spot, pre-order a Phuket lobster, some tiger prawns, red or white snapper - all excellently cooked at a fraction of the price. Get your own wine from the supermarket and watch the fireflies as you enjoy a sumptuous meal in a simple but wonderful setting.

In fact we'll be in KL in February so might join you! lol

UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
55 reviews
2. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

That sounds perfect! My friend loves Fish so she would love that, certainly don't want to pay a small fortune for something thats not as good!

I will check out the Phuket forum, not thought of that and will certainly check out the boat you mentioned too.

Thank you for that, sure there will be many more questions in coming months!

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
3. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Neisar,

Hello the Songthai is a new wooden sailing boat and the trip on it usually goes on a tuesday to phi phi island it is a long day as where most boats return at 5 o clock this does not return untill about 20.00hrs as you get a sunset tour as well it includes breakfast , a thai buffet for lunch ,and also dinner on board the food is amazing. I paid 3500baht but i believe the cost could go up with the rise in fuel prices. It is a very luxurious boat with nice padded lounger pads on the deck and it is hosted by Richard and Megumi from www.phuket-scuba-diving.com you can find all the info about this trip including pics on the site. I think in low season if the trip can not run to phi phi it then goes to Racha island where it is sheltered. The trip does go from Phuket i hired a taxi from khao lak to phuket return if this is a problem Richard might be able to sort transfers but you would have to check with him.Also this is a group tour but only small numbers so as not to over crowd the boat which is nice. If you are only wanting a private charter then this may not be suitable for you.February is a great time for the trips weather wise.

I have also done the trip with Captain Mark i personally prefered the Songthai which i have now been on 3 times but they are both different trips as you visit the caves with Mark in phangnga and with Richard it is more of a snorkel lazy day cruise.

As Arandora says a meal on the beach with the hotel will be expensive but i did speak to a couple a few weeks ago who did this for their aniversary and they said the food was really good but it was a set menu they thought they had to pick of each course but it was everything like a meze. The food kept coming. The Rim Lay is very nice, food is lovely and is on the beach and does have a very nice ambiance just a 2 minute walk from the Le Meridien. For a special occasion though it depends whether you want plastic plates against posh.

Arandora never thought about taking my own wine to the Rim Lay do they not mind?

Julie

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
88 posts
4. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Neisar,

If you should wish to contact the company that actually owns this boat rather than through a middleman who has a booking for a certain day then the contact is

http://www.thaicruises.net

Alternatively as Arandora has suggested there are many other options available

Regards

5. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 June 2008, 17:52
UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
55 reviews
6. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Thank you radnor and Jenson!

I will certainly look at all options, I have emailed my friend the details of the one trip that we could do for her birthday and she liked the look of it.

I must admit I did look at the Songthai one and was impressed by that too - so maybe if she decided she didn't fancy a boat trip on her birthday - if she wanted we could look at the Songthai for the day after which is a Tuesday!

I think we would be happy with the plastic plates! However, I shall have to let her decide!

(Is it me or does anyone else wonder what was on the messages that are removed!!!)

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
40 reviews
7. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Hi

Also have a look at the Hongs by starlight trip, it was amazing, a long day but worth every minute

regards susie

UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
55 reviews
8. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Hi

Quite like the look of the trip run by captain Mark as recommended above, long day. Like the idea of a private charter.

Is there any good ones that go from Khao Lak, or somewhere nearer than Phuket? That offer a similar deal?

Regards

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
9. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

The sea tours departing nearest to Khao Lak are either to the Similam Islands or the Surins as Khao Lak is North of Phuket, whereas Phang Nga Bay and other destinations are South and South East of Phuket.

UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
55 reviews
10. Re: Whats the Songthai trip? & other questions!

Thank you Arandora, what would you say is the nicest?

We like to snorkal, not brave enough to dive, just sail along and admire the scenery!

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak