We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Hi

I stayed in the Khaolak Resort hotel a year before the Tsunami hit, a lovely resort but badly damaged from that tragic event, Whilst i was staying there a

new resort right next door was just in its completion stage (not quite ready but still taking guests) we were given a tour of it by a nice man who worked there, it was a beautiful place probably 5 star, but i cant for the life in me remember its name, so i am hoping someone out there knows it, and if in fact it wasnt destroyed by the tsunami, any information would be great.

Thanks

Manicus.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Hi Manicus,

Sunset Beach is a really beautiful part of Khao Lak. To the south of the Khao Lak Resort is the Wanaburee Resort, to the north, nearer to the centre at Bang La On is the brand new Laguna Resort. The previous resort was destroyed by the Tsunami and the one that has replaced it (opened November 2007, I think) is HUGE.

If it was the Wanaburee, that is a lovely traditional Thai resort on a beautiful stretch of beach.

So to identify which it is here is a link to the latest map of Khao Lak showing all the resorts, bars, restaurants etc., in this incredibly redeveloped area.

http://www.khaolakmap.com/

Here is a link to our photos from February this year of Sunset Beach which may stir your memories even more.

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7624246

Someone who lives there, had his own bungalow resort and house destroyed by the tsunami, challenged me to find anywherein the world that has regenerated so fast and so successfully and so quickly after such a tragic event. I think he was right. It has been remarkable, particularly since the allocation of funding to this region after the event was not proportionate to where most damage and loss of life occurred.

I think that the example the locals set in reinvesting has proved an encouragement to inward investment both from within Thailand and internationally.

Regards

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Hi Arandora

Thanks for your info, I have checked the links you gave but I am no wiser, the hotel we stayed in was called the Khaolak resort but not the one in Phang ga, it was probably a 3star the entrance to the hotel was along a wooden gangway with a Taylors shop before you reached the small reception desk at the reception desk was another small room in which the safety deposit boxes were held we stayed in a deluxe room in a two story building but there was also lots of bungalows in the grounds from our room to reach the pool area you had to walk over a bridge which crossed a very large pond, breakfasts were served in a Thai style Pavillion on stilts, by the bridge was a large grass lawn, if you walked out on to the beach to your right were about 3 beach restaurants 100 metres further up. As you left the resort from the main entrance turning left was the small village with a few restaurants, the one we ate at I think was called the 5 Palms or something an open air restaurant surrounded by Palm trees, The hotel I am talking about was built next door to the Khaolak Resort, I know the Khaolak resort was badly destroyed amd possibly re-built but I cant recognise it from any of the photos.

Regards

Manicus.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Photos 258 and 259 are the new Khao Lak Resort. It is very often referred to as Khao Lak Phang Nga resort as Khao Lak is in Phang Nga province. There were beach restaurants along Sunset Beach and the adjoining Nang Thong Beach but these have not been replaced. In fact there are no longer any independent restaurants directly on the beach until you reach Bang Niang Beach further north.

Hopefully someone with more local knowledge will come and inform us both.

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
4. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Hi Arandora

I now know the resort we stayed in was the Khao Lak Laguna Resort on sunset beach, The hotel next door the new one would have been only a year old when the Tsunami hit.

Manicus.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

I think I know now which resort you mean but the name escapes me. If you look at pic 255 (the first one) in our album, that is what remains of it. It is in between the new Laguna and Wanaburee resorts.

London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
6. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

From a map I have from 2004, that will probably make it the Similan Beach and Park Resort.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
7. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

That's the one. Thanks. No sign of a rebuild yet.

Oudendijk, The...
Level Contributor
878 posts
21 reviews
8. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Hi

Well thanks for all your help in trying to solve the name of the hotel in question, but i now know the name (via via via ) it was/is called the Merlin Resort, the question being is it still there?

Many thanks.

Manicus.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
9. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

The Merlin is around the bend on Khao Lak Beach - some distance from the KhaoLak Resort.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
10. Re: Khao Lak before the Tsunami

Manicus,

A few red herrings from you, LOL

The Merlin is on Khao Lak Beach, sometimes called Khao Lak South Beach not Sunset Beach. Now if you'd said that.... However, the Laguna is and was on Sunset Beach which is the next beach around the headland and reached by road over the mountain about 5km away.

The Merlin was virtually untouched by the tsunami but the resort next to it, the Emerald, was virtually destroyed and the one next to that, the Briza. Both the Emerald and Briza have been rebuilt and opened in November 2007. That beach is now a very nice area with a the luxury Luckana Wadee and the Baan Sunetra resorts completing the picture for the moment. The Merlin, in fact, is now probably in need of refurbishment to remain competitive with the other resorts.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak