We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to next?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Where to next?

Sawadee krap.

Pennie (my wife) and I haven't been back to Thailand for over a year now, so are planning to visit next January. We don't want to return to where we've already been, because we want to explore more of this wonderful country. Our favourite places we've already been to are Khao Lak, Ko Lanta and Ko Chang. We've also visited Phuket, Krabi and Ko Samui, but none of these really impressed us in the same way. Similarly we don't really fancy Ko Phi Phi. We do love beach based holidays, but always hire a car and drive around exploring whilst away.

Any ideas? Anyone been to Ko Samet or Rayong? Anywhere else to recommend?

Thanks in advance for your help, take care, DrMike.

PS. I've posted this on the forum pages of our three favourite places to get maximum input from the experts. Sorry if this is annoying to anyone.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to next?

When you were in Khao Lak, did you visit Koh Kho Khao, just north of Khao Lak? Given there are only 5 r4esorts and 2 restaurants it is VERY quiet, so prob ably only suitable for a few days. A friend I met in KL recommended Koh Phayam, just basic bungalow resorts and CHEAP, excellent food. Not far from Ko Chang so you may be aware of it already.

For an enriching experience, you could stay at the "holiday" accommodation at the Beluga School for Life (see http://www.beluga-schoolforlife.de/ ) where Tsunami orphans and now socially deprived children are taught "skills for life". The accommodation is in excellent detached bungalows in a separate part of this wonderful complex in the hills about 25km from KL complete with their own restaurant and swimming pool. You can join in with the volunteers and help the kids or just lie back and enjoy the beautiful surroundings.

Then up to Khao Sok in one of the jungle bungalow resorts there, a tree house perhaps or a raft house on the lake.

Food for thought, I hope.

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
326 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to next?

Hi Arandora.

Thank you so much for your quick reply.

Yes we did visit Koh Kho Khao a few times back in 2006. It's a lovely quiet island. We used to have lunch at the Amandara and they kindly let us use all their facilities for free (pool, sunbeds etc).

We didn't get to Koh Phayam so I'll certainly have a look at it. For a quieter island we were also thinking of Koh Mak.

Thanks again for the suggestions, any are very welcome.

Take care, DrMike.

PS. Incidentally your fame has spread to the Maldives forum. It's a very troubled place at the moment, but under the thread "Who marks these down?" posted 10/04/08, 08kate02 gave your Khao Lak review fulsome praise. It's mentioned on the third page if you want to feel a little proud of yourself. I have to agree that it captured the feel of Khao Lak beautifully.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to next?

Thanks for that Mike.

I was a frequent visitor to the Maldives forum but it did tend to get a bit too "anglo" and heated at times.

Our love for Khao Lak reignited my enthusiasm for trying to assist others in sharing it.

Must pay the Maldives a visit to see what's going on.

Cheers

Alan

4. Re: Where to next?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 September 2009, 06:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations