We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Those who have been to Khao Lak will not need telling that there are dogs - lots of dogs, everywhere, especially in Bang Niang!

Look here for photos of the cute ones we came across.

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7967222

There were three puppies born on the beach near the Similana - a brown one, a black one and a "mix" of black,white & brown. The little brown one had something wrong with his eyes. A German couple went to the vets and bought some ointment and left it with a note asking people to put ointment in his eyes three times a day as they had to go home. The next day, the "mix" was missing (hopefully someone had adopted him) and the brown one was very poorly indeed. Then there were two! We gave them water and food, bathed "brown's" eyes and put the ointment in. Reluctantly we left him until the next day but we really feared the worse when we returned the next day but there he was playing happily with his black brother. We fed and watered them, put the ointment in and left. We returned for our last week nearly every day and there the two of them were (with mamma and pappa watching over them) playing or sleeping - until the day before we left. They were not at the Similana, they had moved up White Sand Beach to near the Sarojin (going upmarket!) but "brown" was missing! For one heart stopping moment as we approached we saw a brown shape off the beach in the long grass but, thankfully, it was only a brown stone. We didn't see any of the family again. I hope little brown was taken by someone who would look after him.

Regards

Alan

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Bang Niang Beach
Bang Niang Beach
Khao Lak, Thailand
White Sand Beach
White Sand Beach
2,169 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,858 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Oh dear - I could end up with a broken heart when I go!

the little greyish one (in photo 120 was just beautiful!

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Our good friends from Holland (American couple teaching in the American School of the Hague) have been involved with the plight of the street dogs in Phuket. You can go to http://www.soidog.org/Fundraisers.htm to see their efforts and the efforts of many others. We wish we had this same thing in Khao Lak!

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Hi Johnny,

You are absolutely right. Cute though the pups are, your heart goes out for the strays and the bleak future some (most?) of them face. I suppose though in the process of regenerating Khao Lak, dealing with stray dogs is low on the priority list even though to some they could be an offputting factor when deciding on whether to visit or not.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Is there anything we can do when we are visiting?

For example taking some worming tablets, eye drops frontline that type of thing or is there any local based rescue centre?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

There is a local based Rescue Centre and vet - for information have a look in the Tour office adjoining the Happy Snapper Bar - but I don't think it is as well developed or publicised as the one Johnny referred to in Phuket. As for medication etc. I wouldn't bother. It might only confuse with your own medication, liquids, gels etc at the airport. Hopefully the pups we came across on the beach now have a home and you won't come across any more. Other than the little one with poorly eyes, all the others we came across didn't seem particularly unhealthy or unhappy.

Mentioned in this post
Happy Snapper
Happy Snapper
174 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
UK
Level Contributor
787 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Thank you for that! I am hoping to go to thailand next feb early March and Khao Lak is planned as the beach part of the holiday so may have to visit the centre and donate something.

It is beginning to be a regular thing, did the same in turkey last year and year before in Skiathos we visted the dogs home a few times and took the dogs for a walk!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Can someone who is there check on the outcome of little brown one? I have to know!

Ireland
Level Contributor
24 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

Oh no that is heart breaking just reading about - I couldn't even bring myself to look at the picture. We were planning to go to Khao Lak in July but after now I think I will avoid it. I would be in tears if I saw them, so sad.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

I am a dog lover ! - When you see these strays 'please!' do remember that in many ( many ! ) countries these dogs and the pups would have simply been 'exterminated' !

Dogs in Thailand are part of life, in most places they live a free life, many are fed, but even when they look rough please do remember what the plight of these dogs would be elsewhere ! I doubt they would all get loving homes. They would have simply been rounded up and 'exterminated'.

You can always donate dry dog food to temples that care for strays, all over Thailand they care for so many. It is always appreciated. We also take them the ant-fleee/tic powder which they mix with rice for the dogs.

As a dog lover remember there are 'many' in towns and village everywhere that lead an 'ok' life. They may not be as pampered as elsewhere but if I am re-born a dog please let me me born in a nice place in Thailand and not a pet in some enclosed small house and garden elsewhere :)

Driving around I see happy dogs wandering along the side of roads, sleeping under a shelter with their family or friends, near a local restaurant where they get their daily food or happily running along some quiet beach playing ( wishing I pressume that no-one opens a hotel nearby ! )

Thanks for the photos Andorra, it helps us who like animals to realise their plight could we a lot worse elswhere.

Mentioned in this post
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: It's a dog's like in Khao Lak

I have just kicked myself for using that word 'strays', I promised myself I wouldn't. Most part they are 'free dogs'.

Yes do help shelters but note that temples feed hundreds of dogs, those large bags of dried food, plus bags of rice help. The anti-flee/tic pwder is in pet stores in towns and they add it to the rice which helps the dogs.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak