We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fabric Shopping

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Fabric Shopping

I am a quilter and love to buy fabric in all the places I visit. I would love to purchase some batik cottons and maybe some Thai silk while in Khao Lak. Any chance any of the regulars here would know of places where I might buy fabric? If not in the Khao Lak area, what about in Phuket? We plan to rent a car for a few days so could travel a little farther afield if I know where to look. Also, would it be fairly easy to mail said fabric home(it is heavy to drag around with you)? When planning our trip we had thought about spending time in Bangkok where fabric would be easy to come by, but we decided to spend all our time in KL so I'm hoping I can do my shopping there. Sure hope someone can help!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Fabric Shopping

We discussed fabric with one of the tailors in Khao Lak during our last visit. As he didn't have the fabric we wanted, he suggested we purchased this ourselves, for him to make up into our chosen garments. He reccommended Takua Pa market, which is about a 40 minute drive north of Khao Lak. The market is on the road out of Takua Pa travelling towards Khao Sok, on the left hand side, next to the bus station.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Khao Sok National Park
Khao Sok National Park
Surat Thani Province, Thailand
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
950 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Fabric Shopping

Hi Russetsprint (and anyone else that may be able to answer.... oh, and hello to everyone else that can't help too of course!) :)

Do you know if this market, or anywhere in Khao Lak, would sell white fabrics (chiffon, satin etc) suitable to be made into a Debutante dress for my teen daughter? Do you know if they also sell any laces, diamantes etc to applique to the dress?

Lastly does anyone know how long it takes to have a dresss made in Khao Lak and know of any good tailors?

Thanks... wishtago

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Fabric Shopping

Wishtago,

The best tailor in Khao Lak is Mr Monty i had two dresses made while there in November and they are absolutely fantastic. So good in fact i am going back this April and my first stop will be Mr Monty. My first dress was ready in two days and my second was 24 hours. You will find him past the viking steak house.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
950 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Fabric Shopping

Hi Julie

THANX HEAPS!

Should I look for WHITE material for a deb dress in Bangkok before I get to KL (or even bring over from Aus with me - but prefer not to cart it over from here).

Any idea of expected cost? Fairly simple frock to floor with shoestring type straps, sweetheart type neckline, perhaps some fancier detail via lace or sequins around bust area. Teen would like either a lace up back or zipped up with a nice stiff long bow applied across the amll of her back.

Cheers... wishtago :)

Mentioned in this post
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Fabric Shopping

Hello Wishtago,

I do not know what you would be charged for a formal dress i paid 4500 baht for a pure silk dress i was that pleased i had another as i saw some fantastic material in his shop as i paid for my dress. You can allways e mail for a rouigh price his e mail is montythetailor@gmail.com his website is

wwwmontythetailor.com they do not allways e mail straight back as they are very busy might take a couple of days to reply

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,414 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Fabric Shopping

Just to endorse Julie's last post, send Monty an Email setting out your requirements. I'll be calling in there in next couple of days so if he hasn't replied by then I'll give him a gentle prod.

For your and other info, he has now moved moved further down the block into Khao Lak Grand City (big yellow shopping block on the left going out of KL) and in a month or so will be moving into bigger and better premises just a few doors further down. The old shop near to the Viking no longer has anything to do with Monty.

I have also noticed that a new building has appeared immediately adjacent to Le Meridien on the highway out of KL towards Takua Pa. It is set back a bit from the road but appears to be a fabric shop.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,470 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Takua Pa
Takua Pa
Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
950 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Fabric Shopping

Hi Julie and Arandora

You are both such a big help! If I can get a nice dress made for Miss 15 for less than $160 AUD I will be rapt. Just to hire one in my country town in Vic is b/w $200 & $350 for one night! To buy the dresses outright is as expensive as my buying some wedding dresses and I'm just not prepared to pay that for a Year 10 Deb (I won't give my opinion on debutante balls for Year 10 students... that's another forum, another issue other than to say I think its a crock of shite - and that's polite!).

Anyway, Arandora.. I sent an email yesterday about 1pm Aus time. Haven't had a reply yet, but didn't expect one quite this quick :) If you are in there I would really appreciate you mentioning it and saying it is from 'Jacqui in Australia'. I have given a pretty decent description of what we would be looking at etc. If you are in there would you mind having a quickie look for WHITE materials that could be used for a deb dress and posting on here or sending me a PM. Or if you are at that other shop you mentioned. I prefer to just pick it over there than buy it here and lug around for the first part of our trip on a backpack!

I am also wondering can you get them sent home via airmail to save carting it around in ourluggage for another few weeks afterwards. Any suggestions in that department?

TA HEAPS TO YOU BOTH... Cheers... wishtago :)

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
950 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Fabric Shopping

Monty emailed me back with good answers to my queries. Shall be forging ahead with him.

Thanks to everyone for the help. :)

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Fabric Shopping

And I am so surprised that Mr. Monty doesn't take any deposit money... At least they say in their page "We don’t take any deposit". That sounds very nice + ensuring.

I have heard about very bad experiences when the tailor didn't use the agreed fabric or the measurments were all wrong and the tailor didn't want to make the fixes...

Since it is a holiday, so it would be very sad to spend time with worying stuff like that.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,059 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Fabric Shopping

HI

There are no worries at all with Mr Monty one of my dresses i had made day before i transfered to Phuket and if it had not fitted Mr Monty said it was no problem for him to come to me in Phuket . It did fit like a dream but how good is that for service.

Julie

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak