We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Air Asia Airport Connection

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
Air Asia Airport Connection

We arrive in Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi I terminal from Seoul with Thai Airways at 1645 and we will be taking a flight with Air Asia to Phuket at 2110. I know that Air Asia also uses Suvarnabhumi but I recall reading that it is a bit of a trek to their area of the airport. I have tried to find the post but cannot(it might have been on loneyplanet,although I can't find it there either). Any way, I wonder if someone might be able to tell me what to expect in regards to making the connection to our Phuket flight. Also, Air Asia has an earlier flight to Phuket but I was concerned that we would have too tight a schedule and didn't book it. If we were able to be there on time, what is the possibility of switching to the earlier flight? Does Air Asia allow this sort of thing? Extra costs? I would love to get to Khao Lak before midnight! Thanks for any information you might have.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Air Asia Airport Connection

Hi Newfie,

Plenty of time for connections with those times. It's not THAT big of a trek from International to Domestic after collecting luggage and clearing customs. Huge queue when we arrived but they added to the stations and we were through from leaving plane, collecting some Duty Free booze, getting some cash, collecting luggage and passing through Customs took less than 45 minutes. That was at 7.30 am.

After clearing Customs turn right into Arrivals Hall and follow signs for Domestic Departures which are upstairs. Tip - don't wait for the lift (elevator), it goes from and to the parking garage one floor below and is usually full. Wheel your trolly to the mechanised walkways that take you up to Domestic. Plenty of food stalls and small shops to pass time away after checking your luggage in and before going through to Domestic Departures, although there is now a great restaurant down there now.

AirAsia are pretty tight on changing flights and judging by scale of charges I saw, it would cost probably almost as much as price of ticket to change.

If you arrive in Phuket on schedule at 2110, realistically I think it would be about 2300 by the time you reach Khao Lak. Most places will have closed/be closing by then.

BTW We were overweight with luggage allowance by 16kg on our 2 pieces. After deducting a small allowance, we were charged just over 1000 baht in total (80 baht per kg over).

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
796 posts
26 reviews
2. Re: Air Asia Airport Connection

Alan - thanks for that information - it has gone into my folder to be printed out to take with us. Interesting information about the excess baggage. We are trying to keep ours to 20kg each, giving us 5kg extra on Air Asia - their site says 165baht per kg over so I'm hoping we are as fortunate as you and only get dinged for 80baht per kg. I really appreciate your taking the time to answer my questions.

Doreen

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
3. Re: Air Asia Airport Connection

Hi Doreen,

Yes, I was prepared for 165 baht per kg and when the check-in agent showed me how much over we were and how much we would have to pay and said he was making an allowance, I thought the allowance must have been big as the cost was so small relatively. However, when I went to the counter where you pay the charge (don't worry you go back to the head of the check-in queue after you have paid) she made the receipt out at 80 baht. I think the 165 baht may be if you are flying Malaysian AirAsia as opposed to Thai AirAsia.

4. Re: Air Asia Airport Connection

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 September 2009, 22:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations