We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Surin Islands Highlights

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Surin Islands Highlights

A selection (large!) of the pics (vast!!) taken at Surins. Hope you enjoy as much as we did.

Alan

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/7691392

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Hi Alan and Barabara

We are staying at the Le Meridien as we speak, we are off to the Surin islands on Friday for a day trip, didn,t have time this holiday for a stay over, but your review was excellent and we are really looking forward to that trip now, we are having a great time it is everything you said it would be

regards susie

Mentioned in this post
Le Meridien Phuket Beach Resort
Le Meridien Phuket Beach...
3,468 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Glad you are enjoying it. Hope you enjoy the day trip. If we had returned after 1 day, I think it was better than the day trip to the Similans last year.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Hi Alan

Thank you so much for sharing your photos, (just love all the nemos). How deep was the water and how far down did you swim to take your photos as the colours are briiliant.

Lee

BURLINGTON
Level Contributor
789 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Alan - my husband and I loved your photos.Thanks so much for sharing them. I was looking forward to our visit to Khao lak but after seeing your underwater shots I am really excited by the prospect of seeing the area and getting in some great snorkeling. We were also wondering how close you were to the fish and coral to get such great pictures. Due to an ear problem I cannot dive down to get close to the action so I'm hoping some of the sites have the coral fairly close to the surface. I am also a big Nemo fan and hope I can get some photos as nice as yours. Keep up the good work!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

The 10 "dives" we did over 3 days were all from the boat and at different sites. They also tended to be at high tide and at only one site was the coral within touching distance of the surface. Most of the shots were from the surface with/without zoom. The really close ones were taken by Abdul, our guide and wife's guardian - he was brilliant as was Dom on the speedboat. Difficult to judge distances underwater but I would say deepest surface to coral was about 10feet, deeper sometimes when you swam back to the boat.

Finland
Level Contributor
983 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Thank you for sharing thosse lovely photos!

So beautiful + amazing!

How long did it take to get to Surin?

And is that good idea (maybe a day trip) if you don't wanna snorkel but just relax on the beach + swim + take photos of the fabulous beach? What do you think?

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,188 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

From Khao lak to the pier at Kuraburi took about one hour 15 minutes. Then speedboat is about same. You can't snorkel from the beach at any site. A day trip to the Similans would be better for that. Transfer time from KL to pier at Tap Lamu is only about 20 to 30 minutes, speedboat to Similans about the same as Surins. I can recommend the day tour with Khao Lak Land Discovery.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Khao Lak Land Discovery
Khao Lak Land Discovery
681 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
london
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Brilliant photos Alan and I'm jealous of the amount of time you had to dive. We went on the day trip to the Similans, which was fantastic but only about two hours for snorkelling. Still worth it if you don't have the time for a longer stay. How was it in the tent? How do they get the air-conditioning in?

London, United...
Level Contributor
42 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Or the Plasma screen?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,391 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Surin Islands Highlights

Natural A/C provided by the sea breezes through the flaps up/flyscreens down. Plasma show provided for free through them - only the Discovery and National Geographic channels though!!! LOL

The Sky at Night was someting to behold. Thousands and thousands of stars. I know! I counted everyone of them as I tried to get to sleep!!! :(