We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

dress code

Stourbridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,105 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
dress code

Hi

What is the dress code for le meridien and generally eating out in Khao Lak, dont want to take too many clothes if i can help it because of weight with dive gear as thai airways dont give any extra weight allowance for dive gear !!

regards susie

London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: dress code

Susie,

For a hotel, I would recommend smart casual for the evening. In Khao Lak I would say just go in what feels comforatble at the time. I can't remember seeing any fashion police!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: dress code

Le Meridien is very casual. Just the normal conventions. No Shorts/vests/swimwear in the restaurants. In Khao Lak, pretty much same.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: dress code

Arandora - are you serious? They have a "no shorts" policy?! Wow!

I can't think of anywhere on Phuket that wouldn't allow a nice pair of uh . . . "dress" shorts. I would have assumed the same for Khao Lak!

Am I wrong? (always VERY possible!)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: dress code

Sorry, I meant beach shorts/T-shirt ensemble in the evening and there wasn't a formal written policy, more a convention that everyone seemed to observe.

London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: dress code

Perhaps Arandora has taken up that position in the Fashion Police after all!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: dress code

LOL!!!

Must admit, first time in Khao Lak I wore long trousers each evening (more to support the wife in her fear of mossies - well, that's my story). Last time I wore shorts or cut-offs all the time (but long trousers the one night we dressed up for dinner in Le Meridien, but it was our anniversary! For our forthcoming trip, I'm only taking the long trousers I am travelling to and from Thailand in. Somehow, I don't think our bungalow resort in Bang Niang will have a dress code! :))

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: dress code

Hi Susie

In khao lak nobody dressed up it was too hot. People was just in shorts vests and t shirts and thongs. In the end i took to wearing fishermens pants with a kaftan . We only ate once in the Le Meridien and of course i dressed up for this as did everyone else. I only pack one pair of long pants for my hubby that will go with a couple of his best silk short sleeved shirts.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: dress code

"People was just in shorts vests and t shirts and thongs." Thongs!!! OMG - the mind boggles. Not your hubby, I hope!!!!!!! ROFLAO

London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: dress code

And what did the fisherman think of having his pants stolen anyway!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: dress code

I have one pair of "dress shorts" that I wear with a nice shirt and that is all that I have ever needed for nice evenings out.

Living on Phuket, I can often go months and months without ever putting a real pair of trousers . . . or a real pair of shoes.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations