We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
185 reviews
Save Topic
Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

Is it worth driving from Khao Lak to Krabi for a day trip. I understand from the previous post it takes about 3 hours. Being from Australia 6 hours of driving does not phase us as long as there is interesting scenery along the way. Also I am confused about "international drivers licence" is one required.

Thanks

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

AussieAnge

International drivers license is required, although some forum members have mentioned it has not been asked for. however if you are driving here and a policeman stops you (it does happen) then you will have to pay a fine or contribution.

krabi town itself is nothing remarkable. nothing really of note to see. most people go to Ao Nang to stay. this is where most of the hotels etc are located.

driving further east, from Krabi, the most popular visiting places are the Emerald pool, the hot springs and the tiger cave. these are about 40-80 mins drive from Krabi.

i can;t comment on the drive between kho lak and krabi itsel as i have not done it.

by the way from khao lak to krabi town itself is only about 110 km so i don't know where the 3 hrs is coming from. it shouldn't take more than 2 hrs unless there are major roadworks en route.

bkk3

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

It took us a good 2 hours to drive from Khao Lak to Phang Nga Bay from Le Meridien Khao Lak on the very good and roadwork free highway. Krabi/Ao Nang is a further hour turning off just before you reach Phang Nga Town, so 3 hours in total, more if you stop off on the very scenic drive on the way.

As bkk3 stated an IDL is required (but not always asked for particularly by the cheaper outfits - make sure you get proper insurance. Have a look here for discussion on car hire/insurance http://khaolaklovers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245) They are issued in a visitor's home country.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

Thanks BKK3 and Alan,

Off to get international drivers licence tomorrow, Still unsure if the trip is worth doing???

Any comments.

thanks

Ange

South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,988 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

Ange, Its definately worth doing, the roads are good and the scenery is great. Theres also lots of garages along the way (toilet stops etc)

Stck to the speed limit, we saw our first policeman with a radar gun on this drive. (International DL is a must)

Leave real early and call into Noppharat Thara Beach just before Ao Nang, if the tides out you can walk in anke deep water to a couple of little islands. Heres a link to some of our photos of Krabi

…google.com/CathyandGary/AnotherTripOffTheIs…

If you look in the public gallery as well there is lots of photos of our drive there etc.

Cathy

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

Thanks Cathy - it is now "in the book"

Lichfield, England
Level Contributor
595 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

Hi Ange,

don't miss your day trip! Krabi is just amazing. The scenery is stunning. Huge limestone cliffs, islands and crags as far as the eye can see. We had 10 days at the Sarojin last year followed by 6 days at the Tubkaak, Krabi. The drive from the Sarojin was very enjoyable. As you approach Krabi you will be stunned at the change in the scenery. Have a think about pre-ordering a speedboat and get around the islands. If you do a private hire, you'll need a twin engined, you can set your own itinerary. Phi Phi, Bamboo, Tup, and the spectacular Hong Islands. The Tubkaak is opposite the Hong Islands and the beach is lovely. Maybe have lunch there? There's also a new hotel there called the Amari Vogue, it's creating a lot of interest, can't wait for the first reviews. It would be a sort of reci for future Thailand holidays! Ao Nang is a great little town. We went back to the Tubkaak in March and it was pure bliss.

Have a fabulous holiday, I'm assuming you're going back to the Sarojin, a fabulous hotel, we will return one day as we loved Khao Lak too.

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,586 posts
185 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

Hi Kate

Thanks or your response, we are really looking forward to the trip to Krabi.

We are not staying at the Sarojin this time. We seldom return to a resort and I did try and get into some of the boutique hotels however could not get a booking. We have decided on Khao Lak Merlin (looking at Khaolak Lovers and Teds comments). We got a fantastic price about $1300Aud for 6 nights including breakfast for 3 in a pool access room. I think it will be a good experience for our son (12 year old) and hoopefully there will be some other kids. It was very hard to get prices for December - in retrospect I would have waited and taken the latestay deals or wotif deals. Never mind it wont hurt the small boy to see something other than a 5 star resort!!!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

BTW, you can download a good pdf map of the whole circuit from Phuket to Khao Lak to Samui to Krabi at:

phuketdelight.com/Budget_World_Class_Drives.…

Lots of excellent detailed directions, landmarks, points of interest etc.

It's a great drive - take your time and relax.

But - do plan on a longish day as, while the drive is only about three hours each way - you'll want to stop and eat, look around - and as I always do - get lost a couple times exploring back roads.

I would recommend leaving early as the roads are not well lit at night (esp the stretch into Khao Lak). Unlit vehicles, dogs and people on the road, etc - create a bit of a hazard. If you do drive after dark, it's not really a big deal but plan on keeping your speed down to 60-80km/h.

San Francisco
Level Contributor
22 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

I'm flying into Phuket and heading to the Similana for three nights, then going to Krabi.

Looks like I can get a car from PHK and drop it off in Krabi after three days for around 6,000 Baht.

Given that a taxi from Khao Lak to Krabi is around 3,000, then including a cab from PHK to Similana, and the trips back and forth from town at apparently 300 Baht...6000 doesn't seem so bad and will provide quite a bit of freedom to explore.

Budget Car Rental the company to go with?

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Khao Lak to Krabi - Day trip

I am a Budget booster - had an excellent experience with them following an accident - they were quickly on the scene, handled everything professionally, advocated for us in every sense and even upgraded our car.

We paid not an extra baht for the whole thing.

Tis the best of recommendations IMO.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations