We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

Liverpool
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

Hi Everyone

I'm a little worried after reading the recent posts on the lack of english speaking people staying in KL.

I'm travelling on my own and don't want to spend Christmas day talking to myself!

Melbourne, Australia
Destination Expert
for Maldives
Level Contributor
3,668 posts
184 reviews
1. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

We Aussie wil be there.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
2. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

Cool ! Thats a start ! :-) Anyone else?

Sacramento...
Level Contributor
233 posts
3. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

We get to Khao Lak on January 6th. Will you still be there?

AJ

Liverpool
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
4. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

No, thats a shame I leave on the 26th. Get you next time ! :-)

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

There is no lack of English speakers in Khao Lak. It is just that the area was "discovered" by Germans and Scandinavians and remains a favourite destination for them (jealously guarded by some! ) particularly the diving fraternity. Many from this part of Europe have returned after or been drawn by the 2004 Tsunami and have been a significant help with Khao Lak's resurgence.

It seems to becoming more cosmopolitan as other nationalities disvover its wonderful qualities.

The Happy Snapper Bar is a great meeting place for all - cocktail speak being the favourite language!!!

leeds
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
6. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

Hi

We must be mad!! ha I'm also travelling alone over xmas and so far have no idea where i'm gonna be.

I'm sure when you get there you will meet plenty of people and you wont be alone on xmas day!

I have been before on my own and always meet lots of people.

Why are you on Khao Lak xmas day? I'm planning on finding a quiet beach somewhere.

Hope you have an amazing trip and who knows we might bump into each other and have a xmas dinner!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

Hi Sparky and Arandora

I'm travelling around Thailand for 3 weeks, leaving this Thursday, so excited as this my first time in Asia, never mind Thailand.

I'm planning on doing some diving in KL so as the dive community is alive and well there I'm feeling more confident now, thanks guys.

Sparky, If you see a young lady wandering around clinging on to her paperback like a comfort blanket come and say hello ! :-)

leeds
Level Contributor
4 posts
5 reviews
8. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

Ha, I'll look out for you! I'll also be clutching my lonely planet.

If your around the Andamans you must get to Ko Tarutao and maybe Lippe I loved it around there, its just beautiful and quiet!!

I l;eave on the 11th Dec and return on 13th Jan!

I'm dead excited for you, the first time is always the best i was like a big excited kid my whole stay. write and tell me all about your trip when you get back i love other peoples stories. yesleeds@hotmail.co.uk

Sheffield, United...
3 posts
9. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

I'll be in Khao Lak for Crimbo. Probably staying at Green Beach resort from 19th Dec.

I'm coming with two English speaking friends (well one of thems a brummy so he doesn't really speak English).

I've seen your dive posts, which dive outfit will you be diving with or are you deciding when you are there?

One of my friends has done his open water, but hasn't dived since and the other doesn't dive. I love my diving, so let me know if you might need a dive buddy.

Liverpool
Level Contributor
43 posts
3 reviews
10. Re: Staying in Khao Lak over Christmas- Is anyone else?

Hi Paul

I'm staying Khao Lak Bungalows (Gerd & Noi's) and they are linked with these guys,

http://www.similan-scuba.com/

I haven't made any solid plans yet, this is my final week so I wanted to be flexible. I could buddy up with you, thats a cool idea, did you have any plans or dive schools in mind?