We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
122 reviews
Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

Cannot believe that we're only 2 weeks away from going to Thailand again. Our second week is going to be in Khao Lak and we thought we might hire a scooter for a day to get around.

On advice from this forum, we have gone and got our International Drivers licence, but will we be covered to ride scooters on this? It seems to suggest not, and instead only cars. Does anyone know?

Failing that, I guess we could hire a car for the day but we thought scooters might be fun. We wouldn't be so daft as to not wear helmets and we certainly wouldn't be going too fast, but we've never ridden them before, I presume they are easy enough?

Also, am I right in remembering we shouldn't hand over our passports and instead only copies? Is there anything else we need to know to watch out for?

Any idea on costs of either mode of transport too? And places to hire either?

Sorry, lots of questions! Probably being too paranoid about everything as usual.

London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
1. Re: Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

Artemis1,

I can recommend Budget for car hire. You should have an IDP. They didn't ask for our passports. Rates for 1-6 days are from 1,600THB/day (Honda Jazz) to 3,000THB/day (New Honda CRV 4WD).

You can email them at brachkt@budget.co.th

They also have an office in Bang Niang on the main road (near Tony Lodge).

You will need to add about 200THB/day to the rental cost for Collision Damage Waiver insurance (highly recommended).

Fuel is about 29THB/litre (petrol).

In my opinion, a car is far more fun than a scooter, but we did have the 4WD!

Eastern Standard...
Level Contributor
473 posts
2. Re: Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

If you rent the scooter through the same hotel you are staying at they already have your passport information. On the street they may want to take your passport for security, you can try giving them a photo copy or something else. Sometimes I don't think they care if you even have a license.

Lucky for you that Thai's drive on your side of the road! Many tourists from N. America or countries that drive on the "other" side of the road have more accidents.

A couple pitfalls of renting any vehicle. First examine the vehicle closely and document any damage. Every now and then I see tourists photographing previous damage. Otherwise when you come back you may be charged for any damage not noticed when you drove away.!

Another problem is that you - being the "wealthy" tourist - may be charged for any damage that your vehicle is involved in, even though you were not at fault! The police may confiscate your passport until restitution is made. Your fault or not!

Fortunately this doesn't happen too often but it does occur from time to time!

Western Australia
Level Contributor
164 posts
2 reviews
3. Re: Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

Hi Artemis1,

I don't want to be a "killjoy", but if you have never ridden a scooter before, then I don't think Thailand is the place to learn - even going slowly and wearing your helmet, any accident is going to wreck your holiday. I believe accident statistics for us farangs riding scooters are horrific - and from watching some of the riders, I would bet that many of those accidents happen to inexperienced riders.

I am a great fan of driving yourself in Thailand - but I think you would be much safer driving a car, and preferably one hired from a reputable firm like Budget, where you can rely on the insurance that they provide.

Play it safe. Get a car and enjoy your holiday.

Mike.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
122 reviews
4. Re: Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the replies. I think you're right, best not to take any risks on the scooter front. I'll look into the Budget place and once we get to Khao Lak we can decide when we fancy going out for a day on our own.

Not too long to go now thankfully!

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
5. Re: Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

Havge a look at this link for info on car hire and links to various rental agencies:

khaolaklovers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=245

Proper insurance is a MUST!!!

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
122 reviews
6. Re: Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

Arandora,

Thanks for the link, handy to know there is a Budget in Khao Lak. Not sure if I'll be organised enough before we go to organsie something.

Getting a bit excited about the trip now!

7. Re: Hiring a scooter/car - what do we need to consider?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 September 2009, 02:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak