We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Elephant ride in Khao Lak area

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Elephant ride in Khao Lak area

My husband wants to ride an elephant in the KL area.

We will be in KL late Feb.

He'd prefer to do the type of ride where he sits on the elephant

with his legs around the neck of the elephant, instead of

sitting atop the elephant in a 'chair' w/ a bunch of other tourists.

Is this possible?

We will be in Siem Reap, but I've heard the elephant rides there are 10--15 min. where the elephant is run up a hill & back and they aren't very kind to the elephants.

I know there's a national park in KL, do they have any elephant rides/trekking there?

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Elephant ride in Khao Lak area

Here's the answer that I posted to you on the Phuket thread. I'll paste it below, with a little extra.

Riding on the neck is not the norm for tourist rides. The elephant expects someone who is sitting there to be at least somewhat in control...it waits for commands from you pretty much, though it listens to its real mahout who will either be sitting behind you or walking beside you. If you want that, you will have to ask specifically, and they may say yes, or they may say no.

If it's something you don't want to miss out on and you want to be at a place where the elephants are happy and healthy and working but not being abused, the Anantara Golden Triangle has a program that you can do 1 day, 1/2 a day, 3 days...whatever you like. There is a link below to their elephant manager's blog, and the Anantara website is www.anantara.com. The hotel itself is OK, and if you can manage a few stairs (not even a flight, maybe 4 or 5 I think) then you could stay there in comfort.

The Thai Elephant Conservation Center also has a one day program, but it is only offered on certain days. www.changthai.com You can visit and have a ride, but it's in a chair.

In Siem Reap, there are elephants in at least a couple of the main areas that we saw, maybe more. They don't look unhappy or mistreated...in fact they looked quite perky when we saw them...though it was only for about 2 minutes. There too, you ride in a chair.

Here's the other post.

Do they have elephant trekking in Khao Lak?

Yes, you can take an elephant ride.

He works in the veterinary profession & we are animal lovers, we do not want to participate in any activity with animals where they are mistreated or overworked.

Is there a humane elephant trek in Khao Lak?

It's as humane as the others, and considering the alternatives that these former logging elephants (now logging with eles is illegal) have the giving rides to tourists trade is not bad at all...the alternatives include walking the streets of Patong, Pattaya, Bangkok etc getting tourists to pay for photos or to feed bananas, illegal logging...most of the ride places are not that bad, as if they were, they would soon be out of business and seeking more difficult alternatives.

If not, is there one in Phuket that we would have to take?

No, I think you are fine in Khao Lak.

We do not want to do any extensive trek, just a half day or something.

1/2 day on an elephant is long, very long. Most places offer 30 minutes or an hour. Riding in the chair is very uncomfortable because it rocks a lot from side to side as the elephant moves. 30 minutes is more than enough for me that way. I've ridden for a couple of hours at a time on the neck, and it's much more comfortable.

Also do they have elephant treks where more than one person is on the elephant, where one sits in seats?

That is the standard way of riding elephants.

I am a little leery of doing this & he's willing to just do a ride, but I don't want to watch if they are going to be mistreating the elephants & beating them with metal hooks & poles.

That sort of treatment is not the norm at all, and if you see it, you can and should report it to the manager of the operation, as well as to the Thai Elephant Conservation Center and/or the Golden Triangle Asian Elephant Foundation...they are two operations that can and do rescue elephants from terrible conditions. In fact, the GTAEF just rescued an elephant from living under the highway in Bangkok. …helpingelephants.org/2007/09/30/too-tired-t…

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket Villas
Anantara Mai Khao Phuket...
1,883 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Bangkok
Bangkok
Thailand
Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Elephant ride in Khao Lak area

Hi Fish,

Thanks,

no I'm not looking to go to other areas of Thailand, our flights are paid for/ticketed... it has to be in Khao Lak or Siem Reap... but

we've heard that is 10 min.

Also for hotels, 5 steps are as bad as 25... no stairs. If there

are no handrails, I can't do them at all.

I'm not looking for a 1/2 day, as I am not going to do this... so I am

going to wait, while he goes for the ride... so I do not wish to

be left alone for a 1/2 day.

So, is there a place AROUND KHAO LAK where he can ride

an elephant for 30 min?

He is very tall & I do not think he will fit in a tiny chair atop the

elephant. Since he has ridden a horse, I think if he sat

with his legs around the neck, as most people do when they

ride an elephant, I think it would be easier & safer.

I will watch. *G*

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Kanazawa, Japan
Level Contributor
3,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Elephant ride in Khao Lak area

I'm not looking for a 1/2 day, as I am not going to do this... so I am

going to wait, while he goes for the ride... so I do not wish to

be left alone for a 1/2 day.

I mentioned half a day as not being the norm and being uncomfortable because you asked about 1/2 day elephant trekking in your other post.

So, is there a place AROUND KHAO LAK where he can ride

an elephant for 30 min?

Yes, like I said, 30 minutes is quite normal and is an option. In Khao Lak you can do this. I think the place is called Khao Lak Safari or something like that. You will not have any trouble finding it because everyone will know where you can do this....just ask at your hotel. They will even arrange transport for you if you like.

He is very tall & I do not think he will fit in a tiny chair atop the

elephant. Since he has ridden a horse, I think if he sat

with his legs around the neck, as most people do when they

ride an elephant, I think it would be easier & safer.

Very tall is no problem for the chairs.. They are large. We rode with my husband (6 ft), me and our 3 year old together once. He can ride alone, no problem. They will not put him with another tourist. Although it's uncomfortable because of the side to side motion, it is easier and more secure feeling in the chair. The neck is more comfortable because the side to side motion is minimal up there, but feels less secure unless you sit properly.

When you ride on the neck, it is nothing like riding a horse. There really is nothing below the neck for your legs, and in fact, you bend your legs up and rest your knees on the ears of the elephant...your legs really don't hang down at all, and if they do, you feel quite insecure and wobbly. Basically, when on the neck you are balanced just behind the head where you are seated and both knees which rest behind the ears. You can rest your hands on the head in front of you for better balance. Closest thing to comparing it to horsebackriding would be a jockey position. Past that, the similarity ends.

If he wants to try riding on the neck, like I said, he will have to ask about it at the place. It may or may not be OK, it totally depends on the place, the elephant and the mahout. No way anyone can tell you in advance if he will be allowed to do that.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Elephant ride in Khao Lak area

Hi,

most elephant treks in Khao Lak area are in steep terrain, especially Asian Safari and Eco.

Due to the risk involved no mahout will allow a newby to ride his elephant without a chair.

The only place that is fairly flat is the elephant trek at Bang Sak, about 15 km to the north of Khao Lak Center. Maybe try your luck there.

Enjoy,

J.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
5. Re: Elephant ride in Khao Lak area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 September 2009, 03:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak