We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

has anyone been to the surin islands?

pangbourne england
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
has anyone been to the surin islands?

Hi

Have heard it's possible to stay over on the Surin islands for snorkeling - does anyone have any info re this possibility please?

I know we can snorkel on the Similan islands, but we were snorkeling with a lovely chap a few days ago, who worked for sea dragon in khao lak for 6 months.

He said the Surin are absolutely superb....

This is our first trip to Thailand, and we're staying at the sarojin, so I'd be really grateful for any tips re must do trips and things to see.

Thanks so much.

Louise

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,218 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Hi,

yes, it is possible to stay on the Surin Islands, but it is very basic in comparison to the Sarojin. ;-)

On the northern island Ko Surin Nua there is the National Park Headquarters and Bungalows, a camp ground and a restaurant.

There are 16 bungalows equipped for 2 persons each, the rate is 2000 Baht per night, an extra bed is 100 Baht. During weekdays you may ask at the reception for a free bungalow, on the weekend all are normally fully booked.

At Ao Mai Ngam there is a camp ground and a restaurant.

On both camp grounds a big tent (for 3 to 4 Persons) is 450 Baht, a small tent (for 2 to 3 persons) 300 Baht.

Don't expect to get some sleep in the morning - Thais love to have noise when getting up.

You can book your bungalow in advance on the web at dnp.go.th/parkreserve/…reservation.asp

but there is a catch because you have to pay to a Thai bank.

The restaurants are open from 7.30 am to 8.30pm, food prices are reasonable.

You don't have to book a tour to go there. Every day at 9 am a boat departs from the harbour of Khuraburi, it costs 1200 Baht one way and takes about 3 hours. It returns at 1 pm.

You may buy tickets in Khuraburi from Boon Piya Resort (phone 076-491464) or from Tom and Am Tour (phone 086-2720588) across the road. They also sell speedboat tickets for 1700 Baht and 4-day-tours from 3300 Baht per person.

Snorkelling is clearly world class around the Surin Islands. You can swim to the shallow reefs from the beach or take a longtailboat with a Sea Gypsy boatman who takes you to all the excellent spots.

The Ranong bus no.430 for Khuraburi passes on the main road, but it is too late for the morning boat. So you will need a taxi to take you to Khuraburi.

Enjoy and have fun,

J.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,218 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
1,866 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Ranong
Ranong
Ranong Province, Thailand
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
268 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Hi we are also staying at the sarojin end of October and plan to just do daytrips to both those islands. I am pretty sure its doable in a day

Karen

pangbourne england
Level Contributor
6 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Hi Jonathan

thanks so much for all that - I've printed it and popped in to the hol file to take with us.

We don't mind basic for a night!

Louise

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

HI Jonathan,

Is there a speedboat daytrip to the Surin Islands at all as i am interesred or would the speedboat for 1700 baht drop you off and pick you back up

Cheers

Julie

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,218 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

yes, I'd like to know too...

We'd just want to go for the day, on a snorkel trip.

Also, for snorkelers, which is better for a day trip

SURIN or SIMILANS?

We will be there in late Feb.

I've read that during certain times of the year the boats

don't go out as the sea is too rough and/or the currents

too strong.

The Gold Buddha Resort, north of KL, has dive packages

and the owner said that sometimes they won't let divers

or snorkelers go into the waters around the Similans

due to dangerous currents, that just suck you away.

But, that is where the whale sharks go....

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,218 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Hi,

IMHO for snorkellers the Surin Islands are the best in Thailand.

Please read my former post about day trips to the Surin Islands.

By the regular boats you have only 1 hour on the islands.

You can book speed boat trips, though, which leaves you up to four hours on and around the islands.

In the last few years there was not a single day that boats could not go to the Similan Islands due to strong currents. This talk sounds to me like a cheap excuse if a dive shop owner does not want to make the trip for whatever reasons.

Have fun,

J.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,218 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Hi,

please understand that I am only talking about the season from November through April.

May through October are a different story. Even in these monsoon months there are several weeks when diving to the Similans can be excellent.

Unfortunately nobody knows in advance when these weeks occur. In 2007 these wonderful weeks happened from middle of July to August 6.

Enjoy,

J.

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
119 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Jonathan24

Thanks for the info.

Southern California
Level Contributor
530 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Jonathan,

You are misunderstanding what I wrote... the dive boat went out to the Similan islands, they were forced to RESCUE the divers with a Zodiac boat, as they were being swept away by strong currents & they would not let the snokelers go into the water.

I am not a diver & don't want to go out there on some giant dive boat.

I want to go out on a day long SPEEDBOAT trip to the Surin & the Similans.

I found a website called ASIA TRAILS that has excursions & they seem to charge in US$, which is much cheaper for us as VISA & MASTERCARD charge 3% conversion fees on all foreign charges.

Are YOU familiar with this company?

They also do HKT airport transfer to Khao Lak for a significantly lower price (nearly 30% cheaper) than our hotel is offering.

Are they RELIABLE? If we miss our BKK-HKT flight will they wait for the next one? Do they transfer you to the KL hotel in a van?

Please advise, thanks...

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,218 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket Intl Airport
Phuket Intl Airport
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: has anyone been to the surin islands?

Hi,

maybe I misunderstood, sorry.

Please understand that there are about 28 firstclass dive spots around the Similans and at least a dozen snorkelling spots. The Similans are well known for strong currents. The waters around the Similans are NOT ideal for beginners. But if there is a very strong current in one place, the dive boat normally moves to another one.

Do I understand right that you want to go in ONE day by speed boat to the Similans and to Surin? I hope you have a healthy spine. It is no fun on a speedboat in choppy water for several hours. We did it once to the Similans and for sure never again. Most dive operators in Khao Lak gave up using speedboats to the Similans. Bigger boats are in high demand nowadays.

I know Asian Trails, a big operator, by name and by their website only. They are not a dive operator for the Similans, they book you just into the dive boat of another company, e.g. the MV Andaman Seafarer belongs to Seafarer Divers, Phuket.

For the Fullday Tour to the Surin Islands they use the speedboats of Greenview, good big boats. In their website they write "Price on request". You will most probably be the only customers of Asian Trails on the boat.

The original package by Greenview is on their website

kuraburigreenview.co.th/Surin_Tourpackags.htm

The "Surin Islands 1 Day Tour" costs 2500 Baht = 73.50 USDollars.

Greenview is a highly respected company in the area.

I don't know the Asian Trails transfer tarriff from Phuket Airport to Khao Lak. A common rate is 1400 Baht = 41 USDollars.

The airport taxis charge 1500 Baht, but these taxi drivers don't have a good reputation. Many passengers were dropped at the main road and had to find additional transport to the resort. No fun!

If you have additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Have fun planning your trip,

J.

Mentioned in this post
The Surin Phuket
The Surin Phuket
2,218 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Andaman Seafood Restaurant
Andaman Seafood...