We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Dengue fever in Khaolak?

Berlin, Germany
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Dengue fever in Khaolak?

We are going to Khaolak in 3 weeks time. Have there been any Dengue Fever cases recently?

In the news you could read that there was an outbreak in Southern Thailand and even Malaysia.

Mentioned in this post
Kilkenny Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

Hi

My dutch family brother is married to a girl from thailand and her mother lives in a sort of jungle and they stayed with her for about 5 weeks and then they went to meet up with friends in bangkok.

the ill ness if you catch it does not show up for at least a week????

so the day before they were due to fly back to holland she got a fever and if it was not for my brother bringing her straight to the hospital and if she had still been with her mother in hte jungle she would not have survived!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!she got the dengue fever.

you will be very sick so they had to stay behind for 1 week and she survived it . if she goes back to thailand again and picks up the next strain (3 different types i think)then she could die if she picks it up again.

but her mum lives in the jungle part. not sure were that was.

but it takes about over 1 week before the symptoms get out.

she is home now and still not well.

but it is a very unpleasant illness.

do they have dengue fever in peru???????????????????????

i have to go on a mountain trip with concern.

end of october???????????????

Kilkenny Ireland
Level Contributor
65 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

Hi

back again. if you are afraid of dengiefever and you have been to a jungle part and you happen to get a little bit warm go straigth to the hospital . better to be safe than sorry. and you will be allright.

but the moment you do not feel well straight to the doctor.

if anyone goes to bangkok that you know off and picked it up then the hospital has rooms there for hte family and it is a brilliant service in hte bangkok hospital. make sure to take out insurance and they look very well after you. better than in europe.

she only had to stay behind for 1 week in the hospital.

so take out insurance. they look very well after you and you get food and rooms. they had two children with them. and everything was insured. also the plane trip back.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

Not to take the gas out of all the excitment but I have lived here for six years (Phuket) and vacation in Khao Lak at least twice a year - and . . . no dengue fever.

So . . . I wouldn't worry about it.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
london
Level Contributor
215 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

A n expat friend in Pattaya is just recovering from Dengue Fever - some people don't. The hospital has numerous cases, but for reasons best known to the Thai "authorities" it's not, so I understand, reported as such.

It's a major problem and in urban and rural areas - google "Thailand dengue fever" for info on avoiding it - there's no treatment apart from palliative care.

Use a mosquito repellant, long sleeves at dawn/dusk particularly and avoid areas with stagnant puddles (pot holes in roads make great breeding sites).

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
Chonburi Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,405 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

dokanman,

I'm glad your friend is recovering but I think it is not helpful to report unsubstantiated allegations and insinuations of attempts to hide the actual incidence of Dengue fever by "the authorities". Also alleging that is prevalent throughout Thailand in both urban and rural areas without evidence of that view is unnecessarily alarming to the visitors to Trip Advisor who expect factual information.

The information given about mosquito avoidance is well made though.

Mentioned in this post
London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

The question was about Dengue Fever in Khao Lak. Any response which does not contain first hand knowledge of the condition in Khao Lak, should be discounted.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

Hi,

for best information about the occurence of dengue fever in Khao Lak you may consult Dr. Seree, the local physician.

His phone number in Khao Lak is 076-485149

He is practicing there from 5 pm to 9 pm Thai time.

In the last 12 years there was no case of Dengue fever in Khao Lak according to Dr. Seree.

Don't worry, be happy... :-)

J.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
london
Level Contributor
215 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

The "insinuation" is based on a first hand account of someone's treatment at a leading Pattaya hospital and the numbers of other patients being treated for the same condition.

Sorry to cloud the rose tinted specs...........

Mentioned in this post
Pattaya
Pattaya
London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

I think Jonathan24's advice is excellent. This will give direct information on Khao Lak, although information regarding Pattaya is useful, of course.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Pattaya
Pattaya
london
Level Contributor
215 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Dengue fever in Khaolak?

check out link for more info on prevalence in Thailand.

http://www.searo.who.int/LinkFiles/Dengue_Bulletins_Volumes_29_(2005)_CHAPTER05.pdf

Mentioned in this post
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations