We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Asia Safari Park

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Topic
Asia Safari Park

Holiday Service of Khao Lak have launched a new website at holiday-service-khaolak.com/en/index.php

which includes links to the Asia Safari Park, very popular among visitors to Khao Lak.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Asia Safari Park

Hi Arandora,

Is this the same park that has the elephants going to the beach near the Merlin resort at sunset? They just seem to refer to them going in the mornings.

Have you been to this park yourself, and if so, do you recommend it?

Just starting to compile the list of things to do when we go in November....

Thanks,

Ailsa

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Asia Safari Park

Yes, this is the one - opposite the Merlin. Perhaps the elephants now bathe in the morning. It was in the late afternoon after they have finished their day's "work". We only took a short visit meaning to return at a later date (which we plan to do next time in KL. However, some friends who stayed at the Merlin last March rated the park and the experience very highly as well as the tour they took to Khapo Sok National Park booked through the Holiday Service and its excellent guide Peter Stiller.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Asia Safari Park

Thanks for that, we'll try the sunset timing first as the thougth of getting up to see them at 7.30am is a bit less appealing. I'm sure it must be quite a sight though.

We've already booked a trip to Khao Sok National Park, a 3 day kayaking trip, which should be interesting. The tour operator focuses on the birdlife which is what we're interested in so I hope we see lots of hornbills. Not too sure about the kayaking for 3 days though.....

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Asia Safari Park

Hi Artemis

Which Tour operator are you using for your trip to the Khao Sok National Park and do they do a one day trip for birdwatching?

We are also going in November and busy planning trips etc.

We did the Elephant Trek and Rafting last year and it was fun although designed for tourists rather than adventurers. Spotted several kingfishers on the river but was pleased my binoculars were waterproof as they got a soaking in the rapids.

The John Grey trip also great and one of the guides threw bits of chicken for the Brahamy Kites to catch.

Pete

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Asia Safari Park

Hi Pete,

We're using Paddle Asia to do the kayaking trip but I see on their website that they do a one day trip so that might be more handy for you. They are pricey, no doubt about that, but i'm hoping that they make up for that in their knowledge of their wildlife. There were trips that were about half the price but included things like elephant treks and we weren't fussed about that.

I get the feeling they are on the same sort of standing as the John grey sea canoe folk but I'll find out more in November. On that basis, their price does seem reasonable. And a max of 6 people on the trip too.

Good idea on the waterproof binoculars. We're going to wait until we're in Phuket to pick some up, so they're cheaper and if they do get damaged, when I undoubtedly fall out of the kayak, then it's not as bad as if I paid £100 for them here.

When are you heading off? We're flying out of Newcastle with Emirates so a bit of a drive down for us. Can't wait though.

Durham, United...
Level Contributor
135 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Asia Safari Park

Hi Again

We fly with Thai from Heathrow on 9th November 7 nights Khao Lak 5 Phuket and 4 nights in Bangkok Just booked Hotel and Parking at Durham Tees Airport for £61.75 which is less than parking alone!

Emirates had not sorted shedules from Newcastle when we booked the trip but will use them in the future.

Thanks for info on the trip will check it out.

If you have time and want to have a look an Binoculars before you go pop into Black and Lizars in Edinburgh and look at Opticron Trailfinder 8x25 Waterproof Binoculars around £49.00 or Opticron ZCF GA 8x24 Waterproof binoculars for around £75.00. Both good value and will survive a ducking

Pete

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Asia Safari Park

We fly out the day after you, 3 nights Phuket, then 2 nights Khao Sok, 7 Khao Lak and then one last night in Bangkok. Will probably cross paths at some point!

That's a great deal you got on the parking/hotel. We paid £68 just for parking alone. Didn't need the hotel admittedly as the flight is at 1pm so we shouldn't need to get up too early. Parking is a lot more expensive in Newcastle than Edinburgh it seems.

Thanks also for the tip on the binoculars, I work just round the corner from that shop in Edinburgh and do occassionally have a look in to see what they have on offer. Not in a while though. Will skive off early today and have a look.

Have a great trip - only 9 weeks today!

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Asia Safari Park

Hi,

2 weeks ago I visited the Asia Safari Park and its owner, Simon.

He says they will only do the elephant bathing in the sea in the mornings, but NOT every morning. So you better call Simon before, at 076-595324.

Simon is just building a new restaurant above the Safari Park. It has a fantastic view over Merlin Beach to the sea -- its name will be something like Top View Restaurant or similar.

Have fun,

J.

Auchterarder...
Level Contributor
1,032 posts
112 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Asia Safari Park

Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for letting me know about the am only elephant bathing. I will just have to persuade Alan that it will be one of those sights we just have to see and get up early!

10. Re: Asia Safari Park

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 September 2009, 03:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations