We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Austin, TX
4 posts
2 reviews
Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

I have recently booked my honeymoon at The Sarojin, but I have recently read some reports of increased terrorist activity in southern Thailand. Additionally, I talked to a person from Phuket who said they would not let their family members travel to Phuket right now. Should I consider canceling my reservations?

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
1. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Absolutely not!!!!!

Terrorist activity is confined to far South of Thailand bordering on Malaysia, not a tourist area. Long way from Khao Lak! As for Phuket, watch out for the fun lovin' Aussies!!! - especially on a Friday night! LOL

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Not sure where your friend got there info from, but I'd definitely stick to your holiday plans. Congrats on the wedding and enjoy your honeymoon.

Lee

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Potterman

there have been no terrorist incidents in Phuket. the majority of the killings occur in the 3 most southern thai provinces that border malaysia. killings and bombings occur on a daily basis. most occur in the countryside but occasinally they occur in the major cities and towns of that region. however having said that there is no guarantee that these people will not change their strategy by targetting other places in thailand. bombings have occurred in Bangkok. on new years eve 2006 several bombs went off and 3 people were killed.

Arandora

your information is incorrect. these terrorist attacks are not just confined to the deep south, as mentioned above 3 people were killed on new years eve in BKK. also the south is a tourist area. it may not be popular with europeans, americans or australasians but it is a popular destination for malaysians and singaporeans to visit.

so please do your research and get your info right before posting otherwise people will not get the correct information that they are looking for.

bkk3

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
4. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

bkk3,

Look at the original post "Is Khao Lak Dangerous?",

look at the area booked for honeymoon and other areas mentioned that is causing concern i.e. Khao Lak, Southern Thailand and Phuket,

look at the Forum the query is posted on i.e. Khao Lak

- no mention of Bangkok.

If the post, like others had been "Is Thailand dangerous?" as others have been then I would accept your criticism.

I was seeking to reassure the OP about the destination for the honeymoon.

The post also referred to terrorist activity. You may say and most people would agree that anyone who commits bombings is a terrorist but there appear to be different perpetrators and motives in Bangkok than the Southern provinces.

I was seeking to give specific answers and reassurance to the original question.

Thank you for completing their and my education.

London, United...
Level Contributor
290 posts
5. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Potterman,

You should not cancel your reservations. The Sarojin is an ideal location foy a honeymoon and you will love it. Khao Lak is probably the friendliest place I have ever visited and I have never found that any aspect of terrorist activity, however remote, has been an issue either in Khao Lak or on Phuket.

Of course, the general rules apply when travelling abroad concerning care of your possesions and personal safety, but I find I do this more at home than in Thailand.

Go and enjoy Khao Lak, as I will be in a few weeks!

bangkok
Level Contributor
2,218 posts
3 reviews
6. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Arandora

I don't see your arguement or point. You stated "terrorist activity is confined to the far south of thailand". well it isn't. from time to time it comes to bangkok as i mentioned in my thread. over the past 10 years there have been several bombs in bangkok that have killed people. Some have been linked to the problems down south others have been linked to local politics.

i never said that phuket was unsafe. i stated that phuket has not had any terrorist attacks.

it amazes me how people forget bali. an island not to disimilar to phuket. no history of terrorist activity (just like phuket), a peaceful/tranquil local population (just like phuket). but muslim groups in other parts of indonesia decided it would be good to kill a lot of tourists to make their point. well the muslim population in thailand comes from a different area. at the moment they keep it mainly local in the south but as i've mentioned in previous posts about this subject, things can change. if these groups feel that they are not getting what they want then perhaps they will up the ante (i hope not). so what's the next thing they could try and do? maybe target tourists hubs in thailand like phuket, samui etc. it hasn't happened yet and i hope it never does, but you never know. just look at bali. no one in a million years thought anything would happen there.

bkk3

Austin, TX
4 posts
2 reviews
7. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who replied. I figured it was perfectly safe (all things considered), but I wanted to get some people's input who knew the area. Thanks again. looking forward to the trip.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
8. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

I live on Phuket, go to Khao Lak regularly, and vacation in Khao Lak.

If I thought it was any more dangerous here - than anywhere else in the world - I would take my wife and leave.

Tis a bit of an unsafe world anywhere these days. NYC, London, Madrid, Bali and I am sure there are more to come.

But . . . statistically speaking - you are more likely to be killed in traffic - and possibly even more likely to be killed by lightning.

There ARE significant problems in Thailand's deep south - but has been for about 100 years and it gets better and gets worse and gets better and gets worse. Right now - worse. Don't go down there and you'll be fine.

Ferntree Gully...
Level Contributor
1,271 posts
85 reviews
9. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Hi There,

I just had to say " well said Ted" and thankyou for putting all of this in perspective!!

We are all at risk no matter where we are , but, to just stay at home, too scared to leave the house, means we miss out on that beautiful world out there, and the terrorists win!!

Lindy.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,129 posts
1 review
10. Re: Is Khao Lak Dangerous?

Yes it is , stay away !!!