We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Topic
Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi i would love to go to the similan islands while in khao lak is there a better tour company to book with that gives you a fantastic day out. Would like to avoid being on a packed boat that caters for divers as we just enjoy snorkelling. Please share your tips of the similans. Much appreciated.

Thanks

Khao Lak
Level Contributor
126 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Actually there is nothing wrong with going out with divers, too. Most companies will have a dive/snorkel group going out. The sealife is temendous for both pasttimes. Don't get too caught up in sharing the boat. The dive companies tend to have large vessels and can take you there quickly and safely.

My recommendations are:

Sea Dragon

IQ Dive Center

The Dive Safari Company

All of these companies offer great trips and rates. There are many more, so depending on what time of year you go, you can wait to book and then book when you arrive. Khao Lak is the best kickoff point to the Similans. (nearby Tab La Mu Pier).

Let us know how things go!

Johnny and Roong

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi,

We had a fabulous day's snorkelling (well, I snorkelled, the wife watched and sunbathed) last March, booked through Khao Land Discovery. They are located just up from the Nang Thong Supermarket. You can book while in KL or through their website on

http://www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/

The trip is just for snorkellers/watchers. No divers. They collect from and return you to your hotel and transfer is by speedboat (sea sickness pills supplied!). Mainly Germans on our trip but the gude was multi-lingual.

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi Alan

Did you watch from the boat or from a beach?We are both non swimmers but,we did a trip from Cairns to the Great Barrier Reef last year where we were able to watch the snorkelers and divers,but were also able to lie on a pontoon and sunbathe.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi Margaret,

We did both. The first snorkeling location was anchored off-shore so snorkelers went in, watchers stayed on board (this was actually cancelled because strong currents quickly took swimmers away from shore just before I went in. We then moved round same island to the beach at Sail Rock - beautiful spot where you anchor close in and wade a short distance to the gorgeous beach, have a wander around and, if you are agile enough and have surf shoes or sandals on, climb up Sail Rock for a fabulous panoramic view of the islands. Great photo opportunity. Next moved on to "Honeymoon Island" for lunch and snorkeling from the most beautiful, white talcum powder like sand beach, sunbathe and/or walk across to the other side of the island where there is a small bungalow resort. Plenty of wild life and exotic birds. Favourite spot for twitchers from all over the world looking for the Nicobar Pigeon found there.

That's why we picked this particular tip as my wife is a non-swimmer but I would have persuaded her to come in with me except the sea-sickness pill she took (not normally affected - it wasn't the trip over, it was the sideways motion of the swell when first anchored in the bay) that made her drowsy, so she had a snooze on the sand under the shade of the trees.

For the same reasons as you we have booked the Quicksilver Agincourt Reef Tour when we go to Australia in October.

Regards

Alan

Newport Pagnell...
Level Contributor
1,610 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

God Alan,you mentioned pigeon.This trip will be a must for Des.........he's a pigeon fancier!!!!!Will have to get all the details in my journal.

Where in Australia are you going??

MARGARET

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi Margaret,

I'll PM you.

Alan

Cape Panwa, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,063 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi Arandora,

Hello Alan where are you doing the reef tour from Cairns , Port Douglas or Palm Cove. October in my opinion is a great time to go just before the stingers arrive. I only learnt to snorkell last year in thailand i wish that i had learnt while we were out on the B Reef but as you are in deep water i was too scared.

Julie

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi Julie,

Going on the Quicksilver Agincourt Reef trip from Port Douglas where we are staying. The Similans were great but this looks awesome!

Alan

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
3,963 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

Hi Alan

Argincourt reef should be a good trip especially that time of year, Quicksilver are a very big company and very popular. I lived in Cairns & Nth Qld for 6 years in the 90's and did a trip backup there in Oct 2005, the weather was brilliant. What else are you planning during your stay? I'm sure you are all organised by now, but PM me any questions if you want.

Lee

10. Re: Similan islands for snorkeling which company to book

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 September 2009, 07:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak