We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Info on the Sarojin please!

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Info on the Sarojin please!

I will hopefully be staying at the Sarojin in Khao Lak in late October. I have read a lot of good reviews on it. I have noticed a lot of people saying that to eat at the Sarojins restaurants can be expensive, can anyone tell me what kind of prices to expect? also what sort of food is on the menu out of interest? The excursions also sound expensive can anyone tell me what kind prices they will be? I will be staying in a Garden residence, are they nice? & last but not least what will the sea be like in late October, warm/cold? clear? any good for snorkelling?

Any feedback will be much appreciated.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Info on the Sarojin please!

I'm sure someone who has actually stayed at the Sarojin will be able to answer your specific questions but having stayed twice at Le Meridien which is next but one to it on the beautiful (most beautiful IMHO in KL) Pak Weeb Beach, Ill give some general answers to be going on with.

The restaurant at the Sarojin is certainly expensive by local standards but is a quality menu in a luxury setiing - neither of which come cheap anywhere. However within a couple of hundred metres along the beach there are three very good local beach restaurants, which remain open in the evening (and I would have thought should have reopened at the end of October) where food is both excellent and very cheap, as are the drinks.

October is the end of the Low/Rainy season so the sea will still be fairly rough and murky, albeit when the sun is out it will still be that beautiful turquoise colour. Snorkelling along this stretch, therefore, won't be much good. Having said that, even in High?dry season when the sea is calm, it is nor crystal clear ala Maldives. That is just the nature of the coastline with its tides and currents stirring up the sand. There are only a few snorkelling spots along the entire coastline around Khao Lak and with the 3rd best diving site in the world, the Similan Islands, a 1 hour speedboat trip away, devoted snorkellers and divers go there. Whether the trips to the Similans will have started up again by late October will depend on the sea conditions. If in doubt they don't go.

Some ideas of snorkelling and other trips here:

http://www.khaolaklanddiscovery.com/

Some photos of the Sarojin and beach at

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/3635293

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
271 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Info on the Sarojin please!

HIi

we are staying at the Sarojin this October I think 10/27-11/2. They were almost sold out when we booked a month ago. The pool rooms were gone, which we are on a waiting list for now. The suites were still a bit expensive. So we have a garden room for now, which still seems very very nice. We have heard only good things in general.

The bad things we have heard are always about price. This is a 5star hotel and the rates reflect it. You can't get a holiday inn in manhattan for much less, so I think it's worth it for us. And well your lbs are worth much more then our usd so I bet it's even more of a deal for you!

So, I think if one goes to a place like this then complains about how expensive it all is, someone like that needs to rethink where they want to stay. We are not rich by usd means, and are money is worth a bit more in thailand, so that helps.

I think there will def be some nights/days we venture into town for food just to experience the culture more. I hear there excursions are some of the best around. You get what you pay for!

Maybe we will see you there

Karen

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Info on the Sarojin please!

Hi Karen,

You are absolutely right. It's a question of getting the balance right. Some say the location of the Sarojin and, our favourite, Le meridien is remote. Secluded is perhaps a better description, but that is the beauty and the attraction of the area.

They say the best things in life are free and nothing comes better IMO than walking for miles along a beautiful beach examining the myriad of shells and other things washed up on the beach, and hardly meeting a soul in the process.

Turn left out of the Sarojin and walk to Cape Pakarang, passing the Pakarang Boat Yard, a volunteer project to replace fishing boats lost (along sadly with countless lives) in the Tsunami. Turn right, have a beer (or two) at one of the adjacent local restaurants, upto the Similana (where you'll find the most shells), past (or perhaps over and through the Similana if the tide is in) the headland to the Le Meridien (calling for anotrher beer or two and fabulous deep fried king prawns in chilli at the Beach front Rim Lay plus massage?) and beyond, if you have the will and energy to Bang Sak Beach. Who could ask for more?

It is only 10 - 15 minutes by taxi from Khao Lak in any event, just not walking distance which is what some folks prefer.

2 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Info on the Sarojin please!

Hi

We've just come back from 10 nights at the Sarojin as part of our honeymoon (review to follow). If you do stay there then you've made a great choice, the Sarojin is wonderful and well worth the expense.

To answer your specific questions, by Thai standards the food at the restaurants is expensive but by 5* hotel standards and the standard of food provided i'd say it represents excellent value for money. There are 2 restaurants - The Edge and Ficus, both of which are superb. The former serves a good range of Thai dishes - curries, rice, noodles etc - while the Ficus is modern european. Price wise, obviously it depends what you have and how many courses, but as a rough guide at the Edge, our regular evening cocktails and food came to around 35gbp for two, whereas at the Ficus it was more like 50gbp. They also have excellent themed evenings - seafood bbq on the beach, Asian evening, Thai etc - that are well worth doing. The breakfast is wonderful too. If you are going in October then the beach shacks should be open (they are currently closed for the low season) so you'll have the option of cheaper places to eat, and there's also plenty of places in Khao Lak to add to the choice. Wine is expensive, as it is everywhere in Thailand - beer and spirits are much cheaper.

As for excursions, we did the elephant trek and canoeing in Khao Sok which was approx 200gbp. It was expensive but then again you get what you pay for - it was completely personalised, just my wife and I with the guide and driver in one of the Sarojin 4x4s. The food at lunch was amazing and came with wine, soft drinks and the essential cold towels! You basically get the Sarojin high standards transported with you to the jungle. Of course you can do it cheaper but certainly not in the same style. Separately from the hotel we also chartered a yacht for the day to sail around Phangnga bay through Captain Mark at Phuket Sail tours which I can highly recommend.

As for the rooms, we stayed in a garden room and it was fantastic, plenty of space and an amazing bathroom. With the pool a few steps away and mile after mile of deserted beach to enjoy, we didn't feel we'd missed out by not having a pool room or suite.

Hope that helps!

Bristol UK
Level Contributor
30 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Info on the Sarojin please!

Great, thanks very much for all the information it has been very helpful. Just have to decide where to go next year now!! xx

6. Re: Info on the Sarojin please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2009, 21:48
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations