We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

Auckland
2 posts
Save Topic
Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

We are planning on getting married in or near Khao Lak in December 2007. While it's easy enough to book our accommodation (at Baan Khao Lak) we are struggling to find information on how to go ahead with the wedding arrangements.

We would love to have a small Thai ceremony on the beach (no legal wedding required). Do we need to find a wedding planner, do we arrange with the hotel beforehand or do we organise once we get there? Does anyone have experience with organizing a wedding in Khao Lak? Any experience with wedding planners or BKL in arranging a wedding?

A little add-on question re the BKL. As we will be traveling with my mother and daughter, we were thinking of booking adjacent seaview/garden view cottages. Any comment on those? Haven't found too much in the reviews.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
2,970 posts
234 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

Hi,

Congratulations on your forthcoming wedding.

I would contact the hotel initially as they maybe able to arrange it all for you.

One wedding planner that I have come across on the net is:

www.phuketfunction.com

They advertise that they can organise the whole thing.

We are also staying at the BKL in December, when are you getting married?

Sarah

x

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

This is the position with Brits. Is it same for Aussies?

"Marriage Ceremony

There is a great deal of flexibility with where couples can hold their marriage ceremony such as the District Office, a white sandy beach, a garden, a church or perhaps even a Buddhist temple. However, only a Civil Ceremony which has been registered with the Registrar at the District Office (Amphur Office) will be legally recognised under Thai Law, and therefore be legal under UK law. So, if you are planning a religious ceremony you should arrange for it to take place only after the Civil Ceremony has been preformed."

December should be great. Great weather, great location, great resort, great knees up in the Happy Snapper afterwards!!!

We had a tour of the BKL last April and were very impressed including one of the garden view cottages. Very nice indeed!

Some photos of BKL including a cottage at http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/5660332

Good luck to you both!

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

I could well be wrong, but to the best of my understanding there is a relatively time consuming paperwork process for foreigners to have a legal marriage performed here.

I know that many hotels will organize weddings - and as part of the package - get the paperwork done properly. They are usually somewhat pricey, but possibly worth it.

Worth checking out the process anyway.

From the Aussie Embassy here:

www.austembassy.or.th/bkok/Consular%5fP4.html

Australians wishing to marry other Australians or foreigners in Thailand (other than Thai citizens), may find that it much easier to register their marriage in Australia prior to arranging a suitable ceremony in Thailand, as registration procedures for foreigners in Thailand can be bureaucratic and time consuming. Please contact the marriage registrar in your State or Territory if you select this option.

Why do I need to register? How do I register my marriage?

Under Thai law, marriages must be registered with Thai authorities to be legally recognised. A valid notarised Thai marriage will then be recognised in Australia. If you do not register a marriage with Thai authorities, you are not legally married in Thailand or Australia. The marriage must be registered at the Amphoe (or Town Hall), in the district where the marriage took place. In addition to the normal requirements (about which you should seek advice from the celebrant), each Australian party must provide their passport, and the following:

• Statutory declarations

Australians married in Thailand must provide a pro-forma statutory declaration. The Thai Government requires that such declarations be witnessed at the Australian Embassy Bangkok. They will not accept declarations from Australia. A fee of AUD$20 is payable for this service.

• Death/Divorce Certificates

If you were previously married, you should provide an original divorce or death certificate to demonstrate your status. You must bring original documents to be certified at the Embassy. The Embassy cannot certify photocopies. A fee of AUD$30 is payable per certified document.

• Translations

You must also arrange for the statutory declaration and any applicable divorce/death certificates to be translated into the Thai language. There are many private translation agencies in Bangkok who can provide this service (for a fee) within one working day.

Certification by the Thai Department of Consular Affairs, MFA

After documents have been translated they must be authenticated (for a fee) by the Department of Consular Affairs, Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

For information on this you should contact: Department of Consular Affairs 123 Moo 3, Changwattana Road, Kwang Toong Son Hong, Khet Laksi, Bangkok Tel. (+66-2) 5751061, (+66-2)-5751057; Office hours: 08:30 – 15:30

The Amphoe (Town Hall)

When you have completed the above requirements, which can only be completed in Bangkok over at least 2-3 working days, you should go to the Amphoe to register the marriage. An appointment may be required. Your celebrant may be able to assist you with these arrangements.

Disclaimer: This information is provided for the assistance of Australians intending to register a marriage in Thailand and is intended to be as accurate as possible. The Embassy is not responsible for any inconvenience, arrangements, or expenses made on the basis of the above advice.

Aust
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

Try contacting Creative Events Asia.

We are currently planning our wedding in Koh Lanta with them for October this year and they have been great. They offer lots of different packages and can definately help with the legal arrangments too and book your accommodation. We got very good rates booking with them directly and so far they have been very helpful and fast to respond to our endless questions.

Hope this helps

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

HI There.

BKL is beautiful, but I WOULD NOT rely on them for assistance in wedding planning.

AS Ted pointed out, it is true many hotels can assist in such things, but not hotels as small and inexperienced as BKL. The inexperience is due to the hotel being very new.

I found it exceedingly difficult to ask for any "unusual" requests due to the language barrier, and by "unusual" I mean anything more than the regular tourist words and questions.

As per my hotel review, the place is really lovely, but I would not rely on the staff. Most of the staff, including front desk, have clearly not had long experience in hospitality, and I would hate for you to be dissapointed or frustrated.

I would recommend going with one of the professional service that other TA members have suggested.

Good luck!

Auckland
2 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

Thank you so much for all your messages. I am new to this kind of forum, so didn't realise that there had been so many replies already. Sorry for not responding earlier!

Thanks, balimoon and kay73Aust, I will check out the two wedding planners mentioned (www.phuketfunction.com and Creative Events Asia).

Congratulations, kay73Aust, on your upcoming wedding. Keen to hear how you are getting on with your wedding preparations.

When I booked our rooms at BKL I got the impression that there might be a huge language barrier. Thanks, SSDixieAustralia, for confirming that - this will probably save us some time and energy - and maybe some disappointment on our wedding day ;-)

Thanks, tedkarma, for the infos on legal marriage. We've already canned the idea of doing the legal part in Thailand because of all the time and paperwork involved. We will get legally married at the Registrar's at home instead. So we 'only' need to organize the civil ceremony.

Arandora, yes the situation seems to be the same for Aussies and Kiwis. Thanks for the BKL pix.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

For something quite unusual and special you might ask the hotel to organize a Buddhist ceremony for you.

Sydney
1 post
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

hello! i hope you wedding went well , your 1st post was in 2007 :-) just wondering where you got married and how was it? my patner and i are getting married in feb 2010. any recommendations?

thanks for your help

9. Re: Beach Wedding in Khao Lak

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2009, 06:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak