We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gibbon Sanctuary Phuket

sydney australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Topic
Gibbon Sanctuary Phuket

I will be travelling to Khao Lak and then on to The Merlin Beach Hotel in Patong in July and would like to hear from anyone who has visited the gibbon sanctuary in Phuket. Is it worth the trip and is it possible to just hire a local taxi to go there rather than a tour?

high wycombe
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Gibbon Sanctuary Phuket

Hi There, We visited the gibbon sanctuary last year, we took a taxi because it was cheaper to do this, and your driver will wait for you, it was about a 30 minute drive from Patong. Personally, Its not really worth the visit. The gibbons are in cages and away from visitors, because they are trying to rehabilitate them from being with humans (this is a good thing to rehabilitate, but no so good because of the cages!!! If you know what I mean!) Apart from standing outside the cages and looking at them, if you like hiking, there is a waterfall trek you can do......nightmare in the heat!!!

A better place to visit is the elephant sanctuary in Kata hills, the elephants are enjoying life trekking and being cared for by volunteers (donations greatly appreciated by locals!) and if your lucky you will meet Charlie and Lum Yai, 2 gibbons that have been rescued and are free to swing around the jungle and usually quite happy to pose for a photo wth you!!! Well worth a visit!!

sydney australia
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Gibbon Sanctuary Phuket

Thank.s so much for the reply. I will heed your advice and go to the elephant treking.

3. Re: Gibbon Sanctuary Phuket

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 18:51
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak