We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

Hi all. Just arrived in KL today. Was expecting a small town, but was NOT expecting 70% of businesses to be closed for low season. No one mentioned that little tidbit when i was booking...

Anyway, did a quick walk through town, only saw about three restaurants which look like they MAY be open. All up im spending 6 nights here, and wanted any suggestions for hotel restaurants which are recommended, restaurants in town which are open and recommended etc.

I am staying at Baan Khaolak, and im sure ill be eating at their restaurant a fair bit... Also not too sure how to get around town, we're not really motorbike people and i beleive there are no cabs, so at this point i dont see how i would even get to another hotel's restaurant (that may be too far to walk a night etc).

Anyway, thanks in advance for any much appreciated advice - a bit shell shocked after having arrived from the hectic pace of Siem Reap...

Cheers!

Mentioned in this post
Siem Reap
Siem Reap
Siem Reap Province, Cambodia
Asia
Level Contributor
18,140 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

Sympathies Dixie, I am no Khao Lak expert, I am sure the local experts and those who live there can help you out, I think I have seen some posters who stay in Khao Lak and hopefully they will have some tips.

Did you go out in the evening ? Places might be closed in the daytime but open up perhaps 5/6 pm ? Could be that..

Did your travel agent explain low season?

Hope the weather is fine, I am sure those who are local will come in and tell you all you need, and at least this helps to move your message up the list before it dissapears a few pages down!

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,417 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

Hi,

Surprised that so many places are closed, even though that is normal for Low Season. Also surprised you can't find a taxi. There are usually plenty near the Nang Thong supermarket (in the centre on the right at the top of the road leading down to Nang Thong Beach).

This is name and tel. no. of local taxi driver you could try.

His name is: Thanawat Chouleak

Phone number is: (+66) 084-0606887

Try the restaurant at the Suwan Palm, not far from you.

If you ask at a restautant they should give you name of other taxi drivers.

Mentioned in this post
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Suwan Palm Resort
Suwan Palm Resort
258 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

The better restaurants - in my opinion anyway - are still open.

The Baan Khao Lak - has an excellent and not expensive - beachside restaurant. Walk down the beach to the north just a bit and the Nang Thong Bungalow Resort also has an excellent restaurant.

Walk up the road that T-junctions right at Nang Thong Bungalows and head up into town - turn left on the main road walk just a little bit and Jai will be across the street - they too are open. Sala Thai, in the same area) will also still be open. As will Viking (head south).

You are right, though, lots of small businesses do close - many of the dive shops and shops that sell touristy things will close down for low season. Tis why hotels are half the price of high season.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

Thanks all. Here's the update, its cloudy, raining and I was so tired last night that i ate at the hotel (Baan Khaolak) and i have food poisoning (fish). I have been up all night vomiting and i cant get out of bed.

Just want to use this opportunity to say how depressing this is which will hopefully make me feel better.

Seriously considering shutting up shop and checking out last min accom. in phuket, if only that now I have a phobia about this town, esp if the most recommended restaurant in town has resulted in this pathetic figure unable to get out of bed (wireless).

would appreciate any advisory thoughts, as you can see i am feeling pretty sorry for myself.

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

When things just don't go right and you have a limited time on vacation - there's nothing wrong with moving on and seeing if you can get the situation turned around.

Off season prices are quite good on Phuket right now too. If you want a quiet area - head for NaiThon Beach - if you want busy busy even thought it is low season - Patong NEVER really shuts down, it only slows down.

Mentioned in this post
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
South Australia...
Destination Expert
for Phuket, Ko Lanta
Level Contributor
8,979 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

Hi there, We spent 3 nights in Khao Lak this week and yes most places were closed. Even the chef at our hotel was not working so the food was very limited, there were only 3 other couples staying at the Similana.

It was sooo quiet and hardly anything open at night but we found plenty to do.

There are little taxi buses (dont know their proper names) everywhere still, we were always being asked did we want a taxi.

We ate at Jai restaurant and the food is fantastic and cheap. Also went to Viking, again good food but a bit dearer. Thanks again for the recommendations Ted. Had good cheap food at the Fisherman Bar as well.

We were in the Baan Khao Lak for a few drinks on Wednesday afternoon, didnt see any people there at all.

Looks like they got a bit of damage from the huge tides a few weeks ago, all the grass is dead and sandbags everywhere, same as where we stayed at the Similana.

There are still plenty of tour operators working, we did a day at the national park and a couple of hours canoeing down the river. Another day we went swimming at the waterfall.

Still managed a few shopping bargains at the few shops that were open.

We enjoyed being there in quiet time, even though we were surprised at just how quiet it was, I dont think I would like it there in high season.

Hope your feeling better and maybe head for Phuket if your after some more nightlife, shopping, people etc

Cathy

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

Thank you Ted et al.

Feeling better today, though i think i have decided to spend last two nights in Patong.

3 nights would not have been an issue, but remember we booked for six, and i would much rather have my partner enjoy his favourite thai dish Yum Neur in a variety of restaurants than having to eat in a faux Scandinavian steakhouse most nights!

Thanks for all the advice. In summing, i think it is lovely and remote here, but the high rate of closure of the shops is a little depressing for people like ourselves. If you're into solitude and a VERY laid back environment, then KL may suit your tastes. For us, we wanted a little more variety and tourist user friendliness, which we may have gotten in the high season.

Cheers,

Dixie.

Mentioned in this post
Patong
Patong
Phuket, Thailand
8. Re: Just arrived... Need Advice!!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 23:49
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak