We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Khao Lak in September - what is there to do?

London
1 post
2 reviews
Khao Lak in September - what is there to do?

We are considering the Sarojin in Khao Lak for our honeymoon in early September this year. My husband-to-be cannot swim and is not interested in sunbathing. Is there enough to keep us occupied? We're not planning on wild nights out or adventure activities, but day trips, things to see and do and meals out are more our thing.

As it's our honeymoon, we want a little bit of seclusion, but certainly don't want to be bored (the novelty of a nice view wears off pretty quick, especially if it's raining). Also, don't want to be confined to the hotel paying hotel prices all week and exhausting the menu.

I've read that Khao Lak was devastated by the Tsunami - is it operational now, or still a construction site?

Is there anywhere that would be a better bet (don't want a big resort with loads of kids)?

Any advice much appreciated :-)

Phuket
Level Contributor
2,979 posts
1. Re: Khao Lak in September - what is there to do?

There are lots of things to do - from driving up to Khao Sok National Park, or to Koh Kho Khao (island) to the north also - to driving around the local area.

I, too, am not a sunbather (grew up in a desert and have too much sun damage on my skin already) - but I find plenty to do.

In front of the Sarojin you have a great beach for walks and beachcombing. I don't care too much for sun and heat - so I walk the beach about 6am.

You might also take a look around the immediate area (Cape Pakarang). Here's info on the area:

http://khaolaklovers.com/pakarang-drive.htm

And you can head south for more exploring.

Try a couple ideas:

http://phuketnorth.com/Drives.htm

( the area south of Thai Muang - south of Khao Lak)

khaolaklovers.com/hot-springs-drive.htm

RESTAURANTS - more than enough places stay open - Jai is my favorite. But try the restaurants at the Baan Khao Lak and Nang Thong Bungalows too.

Info on a few restaurants in the area is here:

khaolaklovers.com/Khao_Lak_Restaurants.html

TSUNAMI - Khao Lak still has a lot of construction going on - much of it rebuilding but a lot of it just new stuff too. Things are quite operational - the last season was a big success.

Khao Lak tends to have a bit older crowd than most places - keeping it nice and mellow - not too many kids around.

Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,458 posts
107 reviews
2. Re: Khao Lak in September - what is there to do?

I woulkd agree with all Ted's recommendations and particularly recommend a hire car to see the outstanding beauty of the National Park which surrounds Khao Lak. You could also drive up to KhoKhao Island (20 mins and a 10 min ferry across North of the Sarojin. A beautiful small island with only 4 resorts and 2 restaurants. You can visit the Tsunami Memorial Park at Baan Nam Khem (have a look at this link and other posts on this excellent Forum http://khaolaklovers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184).

Cars in KL are cheap to hire and driving, on same side as UK, is easy and offers you much more flexibility. Phang Nga Bay is a very pleasanbt and scenic 2 1/2 hours away and Krabi an hour further.

The Sarojin seems most favoured by honeymooners but given your husband to be's non-swimming, non-sunbathing preferences, I think there would be a potential for boredom if you didn't consider becoming mobile. However, the whole of KL is predominantly a beach destination with back up of touring - guided or self-drive - to enjoy it to its full potential.

Also I don't think you should rear resorts being full with adults or kids in early September as that is at the end of the Low Season.

Indeed, not wishing to dissuade you from the wonderful KL, it will be quiet and KL will be gearing up for the next High Season which starts about November, so not all restaurants, bars and shops will be open yet. You may or may not consider that to be a disadvantage.

3. Re: Khao Lak in September - what is there to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 September 2009, 17:47
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak