We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whats it like on a speedboat

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
Whats it like on a speedboat

Ive never been on one before and to go from koh lak to the similan islands one must spend 90mins or so to get there and 90min back.

Is it small and crowded for only a few people? Do you have a seat? Is it uncomfortable and feel sick. You can fall off? haha

I got a ferry before when island hopping before, a big one and felt really sick, everyone on the ferry was being sick lol.

Im just trying to envisage myself sitting on a small speedboat with 8 or so people for 90mins, seems like hell haha

Edited: 18 January 2019, 23:25
16 replies to this topic
Hastings, United...
6 posts
1. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

It depends on the weather. Recently went to Koh Rok, about an hour from Lanta, and the sea had a bit of a swell, It was an awful experience.

Speedboats are not comfortable and you mainly sit on a hard seat. Short journeys are not so bad but would not enjoy 90 minutes personally.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
84 posts
60 reviews
108 helpful votes
2. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

We had a nightmare going to Koh Tachai previously.

Crowded speedboat, horrific both ways as very bumpy crossing, not safe, we were flying off the seats.

My husband sat on the island throwing up all day and then had bad crossing coming back.

Never again!

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
3. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

lol wtf so how else can you get to the paradise islands

newcastle upon tyne
Level Contributor
14,045 posts
166 reviews
126 helpful votes
4. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

You either get a speedboat or you don't go, simple as that

The worst that can happen is that you will be sick (assuming it doesn't sink of course ) :)

I hate speedboats and avoid them if possible, get big ferrys if possible

I'm going to Ko Lipe in a few weeks time, and really not looking forward at all to the speedboat transfers, but it has to be done.

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
5. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

if you have choice between long tail and speedboat which is lesser of the evils?

Maybe ill rent a helicopter for island hopping lol

Coolangatta...
Level Contributor
2,056 posts
1 review
10 helpful votes
6. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

A chopper might be your best bet! :-D You're not even beginning to visualise the speedboat to expect when you suggest it will be 8 like minded souls and yourself - try to imagine 30+! Crowded and uncomfortable, especially if the driver is in a hurry.

Prachuap Khiri...
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
91 reviews
50 helpful votes
7. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

@ the 1:10 minute mark .... LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxtjkhwtUs

Packin 'em in baby

Edited: 19 January 2019, 08:03
Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
8. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

must have a secret submarine deck below, only explanation

Berlin/Bangkok
Destination Expert
for Bangkok, Berlin, Thailand
Level Contributor
21,074 posts
33 reviews
55 helpful votes
9. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

On day trips out to islands, it’s common for the sea to be smooth like glass when you start out in the morning. So you have a pretty smooth ride out. But every time I’ve done this, the wind picks up and the sea gets rougher on the trip back in the afternoon so you get a pretty bumpy ride with lots of spray. Make sure your camera and cell phone are well-protected in plastic because everything gets soaked. If you have a tendency to get seasick, sit in the middle or back of the boat, not in the prow.

Chiang Khong...
Level Contributor
6,061 posts
2 reviews
10 helpful votes
10. Re: Whats it like on a speedboat

Hi

speed boats are fun and bouncy not for the faint of heart LOL. wouldn't take grandma on one

Don't sit inside or try and walk inside if have swells as could bump your head as the boats bounces over them. can lose hat or sunglasses if not careful in the wind.

Reply to: Whats it like on a speedboat
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak