We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting around khao lak

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
Getting around khao lak

Ive spotted a few places I want to go, they would be 30mins drive from my hotel area. Is there a safe reliable taxi service? Would it be worthwhile and safe to rent a car.

Thanks.

7 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
1. Re: Getting around khao lak

Renting a car for a couple of days is a great idea in Khao Lak. We have done it a couple of times and really enjoyed looking around and stopping at various places. It is very easy to get around and not busy. Budget have an office in Bang Niang or you can book online. Legally to drive you should have an IDP (they won't ask for it) so pick one of those up before you go.

We just pick up taxis along the road and have never had any issues. If you get one you like, ask for their card and you can call them to pick you up. We've never bothered though as we've been happy with just picking them up from wherever we are.

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
2. Re: Getting around khao lak

thanks and how are the roads for driving, there are no speed limits etc? crazy motorbikes haha. cheers

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Getting around khao lak

There is one main road that goes all the way through so very easy to find things. It has traffic but NOTHING like Phuket etc. You still have to be careful obviously but while there are some stupid people on the roads, we didn’t experience anything like we have in other parts of Thailand.

Get there and check it out and you will know if you feel ok about it.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,386 posts
164 reviews
201 helpful votes
4. Re: Getting around khao lak

I think the Budget rental office in Bang Niang has moved. It used to be just down the road from the post office but on my car collection email it shows them as being at the petrol station this year. I'm trying to confirm it. DrivIng is easy, on the left and all the hire cars seem to be automatics.

Edited: 18 January 2019, 19:07
Norwich, United...
Level Contributor
92 posts
15 reviews
6 helpful votes
5. Re: Getting around khao lak

Boss at cheaper than hotel has now started rental cars as well as the normal transfer and private hire service he provides. If you have never used him he is very reliable and very competitive with his prices.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,590 posts
153 reviews
125 helpful votes
6. Re: Getting around khao lak

>>>thanks and how are the roads for driving, there are no speed limits etc? crazy motorbikes haha. cheers<<<

James,

Roads are good but can be subject to a lot of water over if there is a heavy downpour.

Yes, there are speed limits. The signs are in Kilometers per hour not MPH and the cars speedometer will be too, and thru most townships 50, while open road is 80/90.

Yes, there are crazy motorbikes...and lorries, and buses,and pedestrians, and dogs :)

Level Contributor
256 posts
11 reviews
2 helpful votes
7. Re: Getting around khao lak

ok thanks ill get converting :)

Reply to: Getting around khao lak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak