We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Khao Lak good for families with young kids

3 posts
1 review
Is Khao Lak good for families with young kids

We are planning a holiday to Thailand in August. We haven’t visited in about 9 years and prior to kids. We will be travelling with 4 kids aged 2-8.

Is Khao Lak a good place for families?

Will it be easy to book transport from the airport to Khao Lak given we have 6 people?

Does it have markets like in Patong and Karon Beach?

Will most things still be open given that it is wet season?

4 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
1. Re: Is Khao Lak good for families with young kids

Khao Lak is excellent for families. If you are looking for lots of action and activities like movies, mini-golf and other indoor stuff like you find in Phuket perhaps not. KL is very much a chilled beach destination which is fantastic for a laid back holiday.

We have travelled with 7 and 9 people from airport with pre-booked transfers with no worries at all.

There is a good market in Bang Niang which is on 3 times a week and other market type stalls open daily in Bang La On along the main road.

Just keep in mind that August is right in the midst of the rainy season which is from May-October. You can get a little rain or a lot and the sea is often very rough and unswimmable. Beach restaurants are usually closed so if you are staying somewhere isolated and want to eat outside of your hotel you would need to go to the main towns by taxi. There are still plenty of restaurants open in the two main areas.

I don’t want to be a downer but I know friends who have been in the wet season and were extremely disappointed. Others have lucked out and had pretty good weather. Something to also keep in mind is that if the rain is constant there is very little to do in Khao Lak indoors apart from reading or watching a movie in your hotel room. I actually don't mind that but it is good to be aware.

Edited: 16 January 2019, 05:23
3 posts
1 review
2. Re: Is Khao Lak good for families with young kids

Thanks for your reply, I think we might stick with Karon or Kata this time. We’ve stayed twice at karon and loved it. Might keep Khao-Lak for when it’s not wet season.

3 posts
1 review
3. Re: Is Khao Lak good for families with young kids

Thank you for your reply. I think we might stick with Karon or Kata this time. We stayed in Karon twice before and loved. We will plan to go to Khao-Lak when it’s not wet season

Edited: 16 January 2019, 16:14
Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
1,843 posts
32 reviews
22 helpful votes
4. Re: Is Khao Lak good for families with young kids

We did Khao Lak in September, which is supposedly the heaviest month in the wet season. We found it very quiet, and yes a lot of market shop fronts were closed, but we still enjoyed it.

But then for the next leg of our holiday we stayed on Chaweng Beach which we've done before and loved, but in hindsight we wished we did it the other way around, as it was way more relaxing and quieter in Khao Lak. I mean, we pretty much had the whole resort pool to ourselves there!

Our Kids were 4 & 7, and made great friends with the hotel staff. (Centara Seaview)

Edited: 17 January 2019, 02:45
Reply to: Is Khao Lak good for families with young kids
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak
Recent Conversations