We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eating out in Khao Lak

Durham England
Level Contributor
38 posts
20 reviews
22 helpful votes
Eating out in Khao Lak

Can anyone please give me examples of prices of food and drink outside of our hotels.

I'm AI in Merlin Bangsak, but if its safe to walk out around the area and also I believe it has free bus to market, so I will be using that.

17 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
1. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

It is definitely safe to go outside of your hotel for meals etc. It's a pity that you are going AI because the variety of food in Thailand is amazing and generally so much better than you will get at hotels. Anyway, I really encourage you to get out sometimes and try different places.

Meals can vary hugely but most places are very reasonable. Entrees like spring rolls and fish cakes 80-120, fried noodle and rice dishes with chicken 80-120, curries or stir fries with pork or chicken 100-180 and the same with prawns 150-180. Fish and other seafood can also be purchased by weight then cooked various ways - a whole fish that will feed 2 would be around 3-400 baht, the large tiger prawns for 6 anything from 500-1000 baht (they are huge).

Western food like pizza and pasta are more expensive - 250-300 baht, similar for something like crumbed chicken and fries.

These are around what we paid, they could be more/less depending on where you eat. The market has great food at the lower end of the price range.

wales united kingdom
Level Contributor
255 posts
31 reviews
30 helpful votes
2. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

Hi. We are here in Khao Lak at the moment. Very safe. A meal in a small nice not posh restaurant is about £5 a cocktail about£2.50 and a small beer about £1.Enjoy your stay.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

Sally you need to try some of the 100 baht cocktail bars :) Most are very good and half the price of the ones you quoted in a restaurant. Best ones we had for 200 baht were the frozen strawberry daiquiris at the Happy Snapper :)

Purley, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
930 posts
86 reviews
32 helpful votes
4. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

So many 99baht cocktail bars. Different one every night for 2 weeks easy to do. We stick to same one and working our way through their menu!

Peterborough...
Level Contributor
318 posts
92 reviews
72 helpful votes
5. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

The Bangsak Merlin Resort is on Bangsak beach along with the Sentido Graceland. It is about a 20/25 minute drive to Bang Niang ( where the market is) and Bang La On ( which is the "main" town of the are known as Khao Lak). The are of Bangsak beach is quite isolated but if you come out of the Merlin on the beach and go left you will come to about 4 or 5 beach restaurants outside the Sentido Graceland hotel, about a 5 or 10 minute walk. I don't know about any restaurants out the front of the Merlin but I should think there would be a couple. We always stay at the Sentido. It is a VERY quiet area and I think this is why the Merlin offers All Inclusive. We always feel very safe here and have never heard of any issues in the 9 visits ( soon to be 10!!) we have made to Bangsak beach. Do use the fee shuttle to the market, it's good fun to get out and about and you can then also use the restaurants in Bang Niang ( where the market is located).

Hope you have a lovely holiday.

norfolk
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
6. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

Hi could you telle which restaurant as I have a special birthday when we come in June and would like somewhere nice to go. Have fun 🍸🍸

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
7. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

SpecialNorfolk not sure which restaurant you are referring to? Or are you asking generally?

I would have a few suggestions if you weren't going in the rainy season, the ones I was going to suggest are on the beach and are generally closed at this time of year.

Llandudno, United...
Level Contributor
329 posts
15 reviews
11 helpful votes
8. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

The 99 baht cocktails,are actually working out about £2.50,in British pounds,as sally has stated,so she’s right with the pricing there.

Love my cocktails in khao lak

Tracy x

norfolk
Level Contributor
70 posts
14 reviews
13 helpful votes
9. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

Sorry. Just in general really, somewhere with nice atmosphere 🍸🍹

Marlborough, United...
Level Contributor
22 posts
55 reviews
33 helpful votes
10. Re: Eating out in Khao Lak

I can't imagine being AI in Khao Lak. I hope you didn't pay too much for it because as soon as you get into the local restaurants you won't want to eat in a hotel except for breakfast.

Reply to: Eating out in Khao Lak
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak