We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Quiet smaller hotel

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
251 posts
88 reviews
69 helpful votes
Quiet smaller hotel

Hello TA Khao Lak experts.

We visited KL around 4 years ago and stayed at The Sands on a Luxury Escapes deal (we'd never usually go for somewhere that large but $ and inclusions made us daft not to). Telling you this so that you know we have a rough idea of the various areas.

We are thinking of booking a quick refreshing 10 night break in March and would like a place smaller and more 'boutiquey" I suppose. We are not fond of the multi story hotels although we really loved the pool access rooms and good breakfast choices @ The Sands. We visited in October last time so we are expecting it to be a lot hotter in March.

We like to walk, and from The Sands would pretty much walk up to the Markets area and also down to the Walkers pub and around the beach area around there for supermarkets and restaurants. There looked to be quite a lot of building happening and we are wondering if it's a lot more built up down that end of Khao Lak now?

Preferences:

Adults only (or at least not waterslides, kids club, low number of children)

Large pool as I like to swim, not just laze in a pool - private pool access a bonus

Clean decent sized room

Breakfast included

Within walking distance to restos and supermarket

AUD $250 max per night

Any pointers you may be able to give?

For anyone reading this worrying about their choice of hotel, we enjoyed The Sands, for what it was, beachfront location, plenty of space around the adult only pool (recently read this is now the childrens pool) but we prefer a smaller, less of a 'number in a crowd' type place.

Many thanks

21 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
39 posts
8 reviews
5 helpful votes
1. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

You might want to consider the Sensimar Resort which is an Adults Only resort. We have booked in August. We booked a Scoopon deal for 8 nights which includes an upgrade to a Mountain View/Sea View room, daily buffet breakfasts, choice of daily lunch or dinner, airport transfer and a two hour massage treatment package. Total cost AUD $849 for two people. A 10 night option is also available for a few hundred dollars extra. The resort is within easy walking distance of good restaurants and town centre, beachside location, has good sized rooms and has 5 pools to choose from. Being half board it still gives you the option to eat out some nights. The Scoopon deal isn't available at the moment but comes up periodically throughout the year so it might pay to download the app so that you get notified when it is next available. The other option might be the Beyond Resort which is also Adults Only however the resort is more isolated with only a couple of restaurants nearby and a taxi or hotel shuttle would be required to visit the town centre and attractions.

Herne Bay, United...
Level Contributor
292 posts
73 reviews
62 helpful votes
2. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

Have you thought about The leaf on the sands behind the sands hotel. Much smaller(only about 60 rooms), fantastic breakfast, short walk past the sands to the beach, great staff who get to know you as it's a small place. It's not adults only but no kids clubs etc so only a handful there(if that). Pool is a decent size. Great prices too. In Feb we paid 800 GBP for 11 nights which I think is around 1300 dollars?

melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,921 posts
146 reviews
75 helpful votes
3. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

Maybe consider

La Own

Paradise

Blue Lagoon

Bangsak Village

they all tick some boxes

Level Contributor
2,414 posts
26 reviews
60 helpful votes
4. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

We can recommend the Paradise Hotel, we are returning for our 5th stay in Feb, small boutique hotel right on the beach very traditional, amazing food, great staff and the deluxe rooms are very nice we wouldn't stay anywhere else in Khao lak it suits all our requirements. It does get booked up very quickly so we usually try and book a year in advance.

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
33 reviews
40 helpful votes
5. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

Have you had a look at Chong Fah?

Linda

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
251 posts
88 reviews
69 helpful votes
6. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

I've looked at a all of the suggestions, many thanks all. Some are booked for our dates and one was out of our price range at $300 per night.

I was returning to ask people's opinions of The Waters?

Linda, I've just looked at Chongfa which was on my wishlist last time before we got The Sands deal. It looks just like what we are after and within our budget for the times we are going!

Victoria, Australia
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
33 reviews
40 helpful votes
7. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

That's great. We were booked for the waters but I read about bus loads of people going there and changed it to chong fah. The waters restaurant is on a road and chong fah is on the water. It is very peaceful and the restaurant is not expensive compared to other resorts. We booked an online deal direct with the hotel.

Linda

8. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 12 January 2019, 07:09

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,300 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
9. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

I think Chong Fah will suit. Very small resort, right on the water. Access to the beach is a minutes walk due to it being on a sea wall. Very quiet, excellent service, lovely infinity pool (always empty when we were there in Niv/early Dec), gorgeous sunsets and not far from the main Bang Niang restaurant area. Not strictly adults only but there are no specific kid facilities so it tends to be just couples.

Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
2,731 posts
186 reviews
130 helpful votes
10. Re: Quiet smaller hotel

We have stayed at Chong Fah twice now and may possibly go back for a quick break in Sept. right on the beach, amazing staff and a lovely pool. Rooms well appointed, close to shops amd restaurants and tourist attractions if you need.

Reply to: Quiet smaller hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak