We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Years Eve in Khao Lak

St Albans...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
New Years Eve in Khao Lak

We are planning to spend New Years Eve in Khao Lak after a 4 day stay in Phuket( completing diving courses) and 4 day liveaboard .As we are a family of 5 (children 13,11,and 9) we are not looking for a wild party but would appreciate any guidance on resorts that offer good food and entertainment for New Years Eve.We are not looking for resorts with "kids clubs" etc as we do things as family and children good at entertaining themselves and enjoy Thai food.

Josiejo

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phang Nga Province, Thailand
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
The Sarojin
The Sarojin
#1 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
X2 Khao Lak Anda Mani Resort
#2 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Khaolak Paradise Resort
Khaolak Paradise Resort
#5 of 70 hotels in Khao Lak
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
for Khao Lak, Khao Sok National Park
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

Although we've not stayed in Khao Lak over NewYear, I would have thought that one of the resorts/hotels on or near Nang Thong Beach, which is within easy walking distance of Bang La On - commonly referred to as Khao Lak Town or just Khao Lak - would be best location. Then you will be nearest to restaurants and bars and where most local celebrations will be going on. Otherwise just a few kilometres up the coast is Bang Nian Beach and township, where there are other resorts and a lesser number of restaurants and bars.

If you have a look at

http://khaolaklovers.com/hotels.htm f

or hotels in those destinations and then post back for further inormation on any that take your fancy, I'm sure KL Lovers will be able to help you.

Maps at

http://khaolaklovers.com/khao_lak_map.htm

and

mykhaolak.de/resorts/khao-lak-resorts.html

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Khao Lak
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

Hi,

actually Khao Lak is not known for wild parties, even at New Years Eve everything is quite modest.

In some hotels the tables are cleaned 5 minutes after midnight.

The bars are not open longer than normal.

The "wildest" thing we have is the Happy Snapper, decent enough for a family with monors.

May I suggest to have a look around Phuket?

J.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Phuket
Phuket
Thailand
Khaolak
Level Contributor
127 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

I suppose most 3 to 5 stars hotels in Khaolak will have the compulsory gala dinner on New year's eve. Which hotel should you stay? I have no idea, need to wait for other comments.

St Albans...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

Thanks for the replies. Yes we would have to have a compulsory gala dinner and as it is expensive especially as there are 5 of us would like to try and get a resort which offers a good evening.A previous message recommends Merlin Resort but find their web site does not give lot of information.

Josiejo

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,852 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

The Baan Khao Lak is one of KL's newly rebuilt/reopened resorts and is generally highly recommended (currently No.2 on Trip Advisor list of most popular KL hotels) It certainly is a very nice resort with excellent accommodation and facilities situated on perhaps the best part of Nang Thong Beach, so ideally placed for enjoying the Gala Dinner then walking into KL for what remains of the local festivities, especially those at the best bar in KL, the aforementioned Happy Snapper.

Photos of BKL at

http://photos.orange.co.uk/album/5660332

The Merlin is a fine but much bigger hotel situated a 10 min taxi drive from KL.

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Nang Thong Beach
Nang Thong Beach
71 Reviews
Takua Pa, Thailand
Happy Snapper
Happy Snapper
174 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,852 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Bristol
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

You was at Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort on X'max eve last year and had the wonderfull X'mas party there, good shows (Thai classical music and dancing, floating lanterns) and good food (Thai, European and desert).

In new year's eve I learnt from their staff that there also was a fifteen firework. Khaolak Orchid is a medium hotel, about 50-60 rooms, so the maximum guest would be around 120-140 persons, so I think they have the potential to organise the party well.

They also have the family suite, this might meet your desire. Since you are aware that it might be expensive since there are five of yours. I suggest you to book the room and dinner with them directly, you might get some discounts. It will depend on how negotiate with them.

Good luck.

Mentioned in this post
Khaolak Orchid Beach Resort
Khaolak Orchid Beach...
561 Reviews
Khao Lak, Thailand
Guildford, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

Sorry, coming in late here.

There were 20 of us (3 families) staying at the Merlin over New Year last. We went to their Gala Dinner and I have to say it was incredible!

It is impossible to do justice to this in the description, but both the entertainment and the food (oh, the food!) was excellent. I would wholeheartedly recommend it as a PERFECT evening for your entire family. In fact, I would go as far as to suggest that even if you don't stay at the Merlin, you still go to their New Year's Eve spectacular!

We have a load of photos (and video), so if you want details, please PM me and I'll be happy to send them on.

Cheers,

Gary

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,852 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
St Albans...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

Thanks for the replies. I had read you report Gary about the Merlin previously and it did sounds good .Found the web site rather uninspired though ,not giving lots of information .At the moment waiting to see if brother who lives in Thailand can book us accommodation in Baan Khaolak as it seems to have such positive reveiws and it is smaller than Merlin. Will look in to Merlin for News Year Eve though.

Josiejo

Mentioned in this post
Patong Merlin Hotel
Patong Merlin Hotel
1,852 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
St Albans...
Level Contributor
40 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

Baan Khao Lak is full for New Year so back to looking for accommadation. Anyone with any ideas about Sea View or Bay Front which BKL recommended or Paradise of Palm Beach

Josiejo

Mentioned in this post
Khao Lak
Khao Lak
Rawai Palm Beach Resort
Rawai Palm Beach Resort
698 Reviews
Phuket, Thailand
Poulton Le Fylde...
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
45,413 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: New Years Eve in Khao Lak

The Paradise has few reports but what few there are recommend it highly.

See this link on German forum but all in English

www.mykhaolak.de/forum/thread.php…

It is adjacent to yje BKL and therefore shares same great beach and proximity to KL. Being a relatively small resort it's New Year festivities wil probably be commensurately smaller - but that seems to be it's appeal.

Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak