We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Clothes!

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
25 helpful votes
Clothes!

Hi everyone,

I have been reading with great interest all the recent posts. Thanks for the great tips you have all been sharing. We are coming for the first time to Thailand as a family of 4 (2 older teenagers) on the 19th December. Can't wait. However I would like to ask about clothes. I know it is humid- and warm so shorts/t shirt in the day. What about at night? are shorts accepted or should it be trousers, also will we need long sleeved tops? wondered if there is a breeze in the evenings. We have booked the lake/safari 2 night trip and will book an island day trip. I know that people do recommend long sleeves at night due to mosquitoes.

Thank you!

22 replies to this topic
Motherwell, United...
Level Contributor
4,247 posts
119 reviews
48 helpful votes
1. Re: Clothes!

Casual clothing is fine for wearing at night unless you're maybe going for dinner in some really classy 5 star restaurant . Even there short sleeve shirt and smart dress shorts might be OK.

I used to wear long trousers at night to ward off mosquitoes but fortunately they don't seem to like me anymore :-) wear a good repellent and you should be fine.

Have a great trip.

Edited: 04 December 2018, 03:17
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,210 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
2. Re: Clothes!

It is very casual.

I wear lightweight clothing like shorts and T-shirt’s/tanks during the day and shorts/light 3/4 pants with a nicer top or a loose dress at night. I wear sandals at night and never bring heels. The footpaths etc are pretty uneven so leave higher shoes at home. Some nights there is a breeze others it is very still.

I don’t wear long sleeved stuff (you certainly don’t need it temperature wise) I just make sure I spray liberally with repellent morning and night. If you are wanting longer clothing for Khao Sok, there are plenty of loose pants and light tops at the market.

Cardiff, Wales
Level Contributor
70 posts
59 reviews
107 helpful votes
3. Re: Clothes!

I’ve just packed my case yesterday as we leave next Friday, I’ve packed cropped linen trousers, some short sleeved pretty tops, casual dresses,flip flops and pretty sandals.

My husband will take one pair of linen trousers, short sleeve shirts, shorts and smart t shirts.

I will buy insect repellent when I get there as theirs work better

Have a great time.

Purley, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
928 posts
85 reviews
27 helpful votes
4. Re: Clothes!

I agree with all the comments. My husband usually wears light, long trousers but this year, the humudity was too much for him, and he has decided that his 'good' shorts will be fine. As long as you make sure you are well covered with anti mosquito stuff, you should be fine. Having said that, I am a mosquito magnet, but this year I didn't get as many bites as I usually do. Maybe they are waiting for me to return in January!

Herne Bay, United...
Level Contributor
265 posts
73 reviews
61 helpful votes
5. Re: Clothes!

One of the things we love about Thailand is how casual it is. Shorts and flip flops all the way

Vantaa, Finland
Level Contributor
4 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Clothes!

My advise is loose and thin cotton dresses for ladies, never polyester. Maybe one with longer hem for the night/dinner. Shorts/trousers can feel even too tight and hot. The sarong is also very useful. Every year I've packed one long-sleeved shirt/cardigan for sun-burned arms or to wear inside (air-condition) but never needed it. My husband never wears trousers, only shorts, night and day.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
9 reviews
12 helpful votes
7. Re: Clothes!

Shorts, tee shirts and flip-flops.

England
Level Contributor
16 posts
29 reviews
25 helpful votes
8. Re: Clothes!

Great advice thank you. We will stick to light, summery and casual and perhaps pick up a few clothes when there. Good excuse to shop! We are so looking forward to our trip.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
283 posts
1,147 reviews
324 helpful votes
9. Re: Clothes!

Hi, I have a question, off topic ( now that I know about the clothes). I have no idea how much money to take.

We are staying at a beachfront hotel that supplies all breakfasts and two dinners ( and some massages)

I have booked a day tour (5200 b) which included lunch and a shuttle (1500b) from Khao Lak to Phuket.

So I will require 7 lunches and 6 dinners. Not huge drinkers but enjoy a wine with dinner.

Hoping to go to local markets to buy a few granddaughters items ...

would 20,000b be enough to cover most things. ( apparently local cafes are inexpensive).

Any advice please ? Thanks

Chonburi, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,384 posts
29 reviews
40 helpful votes
10. Re: Clothes!

Coming from England you are likely to find that even your "summer" clothes are to heavyweight for the climate here.

Leave budget and space to buy some clothes locally.

Also be aware that clothes are an important protection against mosquitoes....and sun...... you need lightweight/color long-sleeved tops and some long pants......you'll actually be cooler than in shorts.

PS linen is the best fabric for a hot humid climate.

Edited: 09 December 2018, 04:20
Reply to: Clothes!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak