We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips to Surin Islands

Auckland Central...
7 posts
Day trips to Surin Islands

Hi all,

Doing some research on a day trip to the Surin Islands in early-mid December this year. Looking online several businesses sell trips but many say “operated by a third party” or similar.

Is anyone able to please confirm to me which operators actually travel and operate their boats to the Surin’s? I’m keen to look a bit more into safety records and things as I have heard some not so nice stories from friends about poorly maintained and overcrowded boats previously.

Noting the new regulations I have seen online limiting the amount of visitors per day and passport requirements would it be better to book in advance before going or try and get a better deal once actually in Khao Lak?

If anyone can help that would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance! 🙂

5 replies to this topic
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
146 reviews
1. Re: Day trips to Surin Islands

Have used Kuraburi Greenview a few times,

they operated their own tours

excellent day out on both occasions

I would just ask to them directly and / or check with the tour shops to confirm

check a few tour shops for the best offer

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,852 posts
89 reviews
2. Re: Day trips to Surin Islands

You can book when you are there, you can usually get on the next day from any of the tour outlets. That way you can go with the better weather, though hopefully December every day is perfect.

Nakhon Si...
Level Contributor
972 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: Day trips to Surin Islands

I am advised that bookings for boat trips to Similan/Surin now need to be declared by the operators by 7pm each day and that passengers now need to take their passports as proof of identity.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Day trips to Surin Islands

Im sure you only need to provide copies of your passport to the tour operator the day before the tour. They register you and your group with the Parks services and you enter under the tour company's supervision. At least that's the case for us going to Similan tomorrow with Khoa Lak Vista.

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
163 reviews
5. Re: Day trips to Surin Islands

We did a Surin trip back in February with Khao Lak Land Discovery based by the traffic lights. A 30 minute drive including other pickups up to the pier, a light breakfast available then a 90 minute speed boat ride. 2 snorkelling stop, the national park beach with lunch and a visit to see the Mogen sea gypsy village. A good day out.

Reply to: Day trips to Surin Islands
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted