We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Here now - arrived 18 November

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
Here now - arrived 18 November

I thought I would start a “here now” thread to update on weather and general goings on.

Arrived at just after 8pm at Phuket airport with Jetstar direct flight from Melbourne. Everything went very smoothly - we landed, went through immigration and customs, bathroom stop and changing a small amount of currency and were out of the airport and in the car within 30 minutes.

Yesterday’s weather was mixed. Lovely sunny and clear until about midday then it clouded over and was very windy for a few hours. There were a few drops of rain but not enough to get wet walking around the market. It cleared to a lovely evening. We were all tired so went for an early dinner at Madam Thai not far from Nang Thong supermarket. There were 7 adults - we had 7 mains plus 8 cocktails for 1560 baht! Very good food apart from a garlic and pepper chicken which was deep fried and very dry.

It was very sunny and clear this morning. Today at midday it is cloudy but warm and perfect for sitting by the pool without frying (but definitely need high factor sunscreen).

We are all having a few quiet days before looking at doing any tours etc, it has been a very busy leadup to the holiday so we want to recharge the batteries.

I’ll update daily and if anyone wants to know anything I’ll try to help.

53 replies to this topic
Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
89 reviews
81 helpful votes
1. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

Hi Allie, enjoy your stay. Keep up the reports.

We have only been back 2 weeks and it feels like forever ago.

Hope the weather stays nice for you, but I agree cloudy is good sometimes

Terry

Level Contributor
87 posts
2. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

What are the prices on the boat tours?

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
3. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

Hello OnAir, what boat tours are you asking about? It would be helpful if you gave more info so I can try to help. There are lots of different types and prices vary a lot usually depending on the amount of people in the boat and general quality of experience.

London, United...
Level Contributor
15,547 posts
136 reviews
169 helpful votes
4. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

JustAllie, have a great holiday.

So who had the extra cocktail ? 555

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
425 posts
39 reviews
28 helpful votes
5. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

Thank you for that Allie, loved reading it, keep up the reports if you have time. Am already getting excited for my next visit in May next year.

Dorset, United...
Level Contributor
1,711 posts
9 reviews
12 helpful votes
6. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

What is the latest on the sun bed and beach restaurant situation?

Level Contributor
87 posts
7. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

Surin islands, any boat.

Purley, United...
Destination Expert
for Goa
Level Contributor
928 posts
85 reviews
27 helpful votes
8. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

We are returning for a second time on January 5th and now really can't wait as the temprature in London has plummeted today to 3 degrees.

Sydney Australia
Level Contributor
1,861 posts
89 reviews
81 helpful votes
9. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

Bongo - we were there for 2 weeks late October - no beach sun beds or restaurants, at Nang Thong or Bang Niang, the Army has cleaned them out and is obviously keeping it that way.

On Air - yes any boat, plenty of Tour outlets on the street with numerous Surin options to satisfy you

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,215 posts
77 reviews
56 helpful votes
10. Re: Here now - arrived 18 November

I’m not really fussed about sunbeds on the beach but they do have them at places like Memories and The Boatyard. Where we are staying has beds overlooking the beach so I don’t feel the need to seek them out.

Boat trips will vary hugely in price. Premium tours with small groups probably around 3000+ baht. Off the street cheaper but usually packed in.

Yesterday was lovely until about 3pm when heavy rain started which lasted until about 6:30pm. I love sitting in the deck reading when it is like this. Lunch at Cafe O for 5 was with 6 dishes, rice, 4 fruit shakes and 1 beer - 1000 baht. Awesome Penang and green chicken curry in particular. We went to Everday2 for a great dinner. 4 entrees, 6 mains plus a drink each - 2290 baht for 7 people.

Raining this morning for a few hours. Going to take our first timers to the Tsunami museum later.

Reply to: Here now - arrived 18 November
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak