We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Money

2 posts
Money

We are coming to khoa lak in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone can tell me what the exchange rate is changing sterling over there? Not sure whether to bring bhat or change it when we’re over there. Thanks Sarah

6 replies to this topic
Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
2 reviews
1. Re: Money

Hi Sarah and welcome to the forum.

I suggest you look a daytodaydata.net, this a very useful tool for FX.

It appears that the best rate is 42.3 baht to the GBP.

Posts on this come up quite a bit and the last one I read had rates on the street for that location close to the top rate. However I would budget on 41.8 .

The rate can move up and down... while the lows of the GBP were sometime ago , the cloud of Brexit hangs over on a daily basis..

As a general rule changing in Thailand is best for most . However if you can buy at close to 42 , then might be option.

Chok Dee

Edited: 14 November 2018, 03:46
Rawai, Thailand
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
31 reviews
2. Re: Money

You’re coming over in a ‘few weeks’. Exchange rates at the moment are irrelevant for when you’ll be in KL. Just keep an eye on rates when you’re here. Bring cash in GBP to change here, and your atm card(s) in case you need a bit more cash.

England
9 posts
3. Re: Money

We are staying in Bang Niang at the moment and I got 42.05 in an exchange booth a couple of days ago. I did change a small amount in the UK before we came out and only got 40 to the pound so definitely better to exchange in Thailand. Please make sure you bring good quality notes with you or they may be refused if any tears or pen marks on them.

2 posts
4. Re: Money

Ok thanks, do they charge you commission?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
9,794 posts
2 reviews
5. Re: Money

Hi Sarah

FX in Thailand gives you a rate. So no commission .

So the rate on the board is it !!!

Ensure you have you passport as they will need to scan that for most transactions.

Chok Dee

Ebbw Vale, United...
Destination Expert
for Santa Eulalia del Rio, Ibiza
Level Contributor
2,321 posts
163 reviews
6. Re: Money

Also note that the UK notes must be in good condition. No damage or writing on them.

Reply to: Money
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak