We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

We have narrowed our choices down to two places for our few days away in late February before heading to Koh Samui.

The Waters Khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort.

Hoping all you experienced travelers to Khao Lak can help me decide berween the two to lock in one.

We’re not ones to lay on the beach all day but do like to go for an early or late walk along the waters edge. Really wanting to be in a lovely location with good meal options and shops/markets etc within walking distance.

Thoughts????

10 replies to this topic
Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
77 reviews
1. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

Is it Khao Lak Blue Lagoon?

They are very different resorts - The Waters is super modern and a large resort which is a negative for me but some love it. It's a few minutes away from the beach - some of it is not accessible so you have to walk up on the road then back down again. It is very close to one of the main eating areas of Khao Lak so you could walk out and have the choice of heaps of restaurants. It is also close to the main markets that are on 3 days a week.

Blue Lagoon is further out but on a lovely beach where you could walk for miles. There are restaurants around but nowhere near as many as Bang Niang where The Waters is and no real shopping or markets. It is a small family resort that is Thai style which appeals to me but some prefer the larger places.

I hope that helps. I haven't stayed at either. What made you come up with those two in particular? They are such different styles.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
2. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

I narrowed it down to these two based on a search of price and reviews. They both have great reviews but when reading about them and never having been to Khao Lak before I’m unsure on the better location. I do like the sound of a mor traditional resort but location is one of the main keys to where we would make our final decision.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
77 reviews
3. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

If location close to restaurants and markets, shopping etc is important. Look at Bang Niang (where the Waters is) and Bang La On.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
412 posts
39 reviews
4. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

Khao Lak Blue Resort reminds me of Nang Thong 2, where I always stay, more bungalow rooms and Thai architecture, which I prefer. The Waters looks more modern, with buildings rather than bungalows. Khao Lak Blue is more isolated, though does has its own local restaurants. Probably up to what you really want, the location or the type of hotel. Remember you can get a taxi into town from Khao Lak Blue, not dear, if you decide to stay there.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
147 posts
1 review
5. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

I’m adding another into the choice to our hotels....the Apsara Beachfront Resort? Looks and sounds nice but perhaps too remote?

Ahhhh this is getting hard....

Is the main area of Khao Lak not near the hotels and beach areas? I’m reading places are 25 min drive away, sounds like Khao Lak is very spread out....we have no idea since we haven’t been before. Not sure if there is a central area or not.

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
5,058 posts
77 reviews
6. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

There are many hotels in the two main towns of Khao Lak - Bang Niang (where the Waters is) and Bang La On (also called Nang Thong beach/Khao Lak town.

If you use the search function of a site like Booking.com you can narrow down by these areas.

Have a look and make a short list of places within budget and we can help you narrow it down.

One to check out that is quite new and many people on here recommend is X10

Edited: 11 November 2018, 07:19
melbourne australia
Level Contributor
1,895 posts
146 reviews
7. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

The Apsara is much more isolated, you need transport to get anywhere and the beach is fair at best, the service is hit or miss and a lot of the rooms are out the back overlooking the carpark and are miles from the beach

the blue lagoon is a very nice compact place, on a great walking beach,just near to a nice little village with lots of restos nearby, Ma Ma Greetings just up the road, the pick of them.

the waters is down town in the touristy area, , nice enough to visit sometimes but we prefer elsewhere

for a few days ,id be lagooning it..

Auckland Central...
7 posts
8. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

We will be staying at The Waters in a pool access room so can give a review once there if you like? :)

Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,500 posts
42 reviews
9. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

Go to Booking.com and read reviews from guests who have stayed there.

You'll get a much better overview in minutes rather than days via the forum.

We all have differing preferences. Final decision has to be YOURS not ours.

Geelong, Australia
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
211 reviews
10. Re: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?

No need to even go go to booking.com when there are plenty of reviews right here on TA. It's the best way to make a decision about a hotel even if it takes a little time. Many people are not aware you can search reviews too, ie enter a keyword like 'location' and it will bring up every review that mentions it with the word highlighted. Too easy.

Reply to: Help me choose..The Waters khao Lak or Khao Lak Blue Resort?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak