We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bus from Surat Thani (Phunphin) train station

Bus from Surat Thani (Phunphin) train station

I want to get a morning bus from Surat Thani train station to Khao Lak. Do I need to travel into downtown Surat Thani first or is there a direct bus from somewhere near the station?

3 replies to this topic
Ko Samui, Thailand
Level Contributor
3,160 posts
81 reviews
1. Re: Bus from Surat Thani (Phunphin) train station

I am pretty certain that you have to go to the bus station in the city....

But ask at the station.... Perhaps someone knows for sure.

Edited: 05 November 2018, 06:22
Bangkok, Thailand
Level Contributor
1,989 posts
2. Re: Bus from Surat Thani (Phunphin) train station

Last time I did this without going into town (but to Khao Sok, not Khao Lak so not 100% certain it doesn't terminate at Takua Pa or somewhere else before Khao Lak). I walked out of the train station at the main gate (ignoring any touts) and crossed the road to the other side. Then I walked about 50-100m right. You should see a few people loitering around waiting for the bus, or the bus itself, if you are lucky. The bus ticket desk is just a desk set slightly back from the pavement. There are no bus station signs or anything like that and it doesn't look anything like a bus station. They won't speak English but you only need to say 'Khao Sok' or 'Khao Lak' or wherever you want to go.

If you can't find the desk, use the touts, they'll charge you about 20-30 baht extra.

This bus is nicer than the normal one which runs from the town to Phuket. It's aircon and comfy seats.

If it doesn't go all the way to Khao Lak then it'd be easier to go into town via the 20 baht bus which waits outside the train station.

3. Re: Bus from Surat Thani (Phunphin) train station

Thanks for the advice.

I have read somewhere that the government bus from surat thani town to khao lak (maybe number 465?) stops somewhere near the station, and I was hoping to be able to get on there. But I'm not sure:

- Exactly where the stop is

- Whether it's possible to buy a ticket when you get on the bus, or if you need to pre-purchase (first time in thailand).

Reply to: Bus from Surat Thani (Phunphin) train station
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak