We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

5 posts
1 review
Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

Hi,we are a couple in our early 30's. We are staying at the JW Marriott, which I appreciate is a little further outside khao lak.

This is our first trip to Thailand...

What would recommend for us a 'must see?'

We are travelling for 2 weeks from the 2nd November this year.

I would appreciate any recommendations from places to eat, taxi, tours & best massages.

Help really appreciated! Xx

10 replies to this topic
Portsmouth, United...
Level Contributor
2,351 posts
42 reviews
1. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

Follow the 'Things to do' link. Plenty to choose from. Read the reviews and you'll find things that interest you.

London, Canada
Level Contributor
220 posts
5 reviews
2. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

I have not yet been but these things too my list for my upcoming trip.

Definitely do the Phang Nga Bay tour(I did this tour last time I was in Thailand and highly recommend as a highlight of the area). Phuket Sails Tours and Simla Sea Tours are two who do it with smaller groups. For a little more money but definitely worth it to not be jam packed everywhere you go.

There’s a hike through Khao Lak National Park which leads to small sandy beach and this looks interesting.

I’m also planning to go to the Tsunami Memorial and Museum as well as the Thai Navy Turtle sanctuary but those both are of more personal interest.

Fire show on Friday night at the Memories Beach Bar has been recommended to me.

Happy planning!

Warrington, United...
Level Contributor
157 posts
12 reviews
3. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

hi, take a look at memories beach bar, lovely setting and we went on friday night when they did a fireshow, excellent night, get there between 615 and 630. also the boatyard is on a beautiful beach, serves lovely food, again get there to watch the sunset and stay the evening. you can also spend the day at both places, have lunch there and use the sunbeds supplied.

A lovely restaurant is baan srimuang, this is family run with only 6 or 7 tables over a lake, lovely food superbly presented by family members that ends with the owner giving you some of his homebrew, strong stuff.

for trips try phang nga bay and james bond island, lovely scenery. if you like snorkelling try surin or similian islands if they are open. there is also a zipline park in khao lk if you fancy some adventure.

for trips we used Lora at dior travel in bang niang, lovely lady who can tailor tours to your needs, reasonable prices.

hope this helps

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
1,482 posts
153 reviews
4. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

Top 3.

#1 Eat

#2 Drink

#3 Relax

Cheers ;)

Mildura, Australia
Level Contributor
4,981 posts
76 reviews
5. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

As well as places noted above, Khao Sok National Park is worth a visit. The Cheow Lan lake is amazing.

I would get a International Drivers Permit and hire a car for a few days. It is very easy to drive from place to place and there are some nice places to visit like waterfalls, beaches (like where Memories and The Boatyard are) and markets.

Hong Kong, China
Level Contributor
223 posts
107 reviews
6. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

Hi. You will be pushed to keep yourself occupied in Khao Lak for 2 weeks. Unless you really like lazing around a pool and walking on the beach.

Edited: 15 October 2018, 18:22
5 posts
1 review
7. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

Oh I like the sound of that! X

5 posts
1 review
8. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

Thank you for all your ideas, I made note of quite a few restaurants.

We currently have 3 days out planned..

1. A day in Phuket, visiting key tourist spots

2. A day trip to Khao Sok and the lake

3. A trip to Phanang Nga bay has James bond island

Then there is lots of time left for rest and relaxation.. good food and massages!

Thanks for your help & keep the ideas& restaurants coming. Xx

Paris, France
Level Contributor
71 posts
19 reviews
9. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

I just spend 5 amazing days in KL and if I could I would have stayed there 1 more week.

KL is very charming, not too touristy so very laid back.

Pre book a car from Phuket airport 1200b one way.

There isn't much to do around Marriott and you definitely can't do much if you don't drive a scooter or a car. Taxi/songthaew costs between 200b to 400b one way.

I personally didn't like the beaches since the sea was a bit rough and the water not so clear last week.

But since my hotel had 6 pools I didn't mind staying inside.

I was in bang niang area, there are plenty of small cosy restaurants to eat at for lunch and dinner.

As for tours, I would recommend James Bond island by longtail boat paid only 1300b we were a small group of 20.

We paid the same price for a day tour in Khao sok bathing elephant and taking a bamboo rafting tour which was very relaxing, even got a bamboo cup and spoon as a gift.

Take a trip to surins or similans for snorkeling it's the best. Clear turquoise water, colourful fishes, can't beat it. Day tour are crowded tough... Would recommend a 2d/1n tour onboard, there are too many rats and frogs at night on similans.

There is a market at bang niang every Monday Wednesday and Saturday where you can try street food. It's opposite to the tsunami museum.

At night you must visit moo moo cabaret, it's a funny transgender show, it's free of charge but drinks are a bit pricier 150b for soft drinks or water and 250b for cocktails. They are all friendly, we really enjoyed it.

I think there is another market in Khao Lak further south near the only McDonald's of the area.

As for beach, coconut beach and white sand beach are nice, it's worth a visit.

Do massage everyday if possible, eat roti and try the pizza place next to the tsunami museum. The crust was thin and crispy...

Khao Lak, Thailand
Level Contributor
30 posts
10 reviews
10. Re: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...

Khao Lak is the gateway to the Similan and Surin Island chains. Great snorkeling and diving. There are waterfalls in the area worth visiting. One requires a bit of a hike but others are easy to access. Bang Niang Village has the best shopping and dining options in the area.

Reply to: Tell me your top 3 things to do in khao Lak...
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Khao Lak